Disney Treasures: Poor Quality Control.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, May 20, 2004.

  1. Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!

    It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
    packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
    that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
    "Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
    broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
    more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.

    My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
    _Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:

    Tomorrowland #1: Dented tin, fingerprints and scratches on disk #1,
    broken lock-tab on the top front part of the box.

    Tomorrowland #2: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1 and creased
    and scuffed "Treasures" booklet.

    By combining the best parts of two Tomorrowland sets, I was able to
    create an acceptable set. The scratches on the better disk #1 are
    concentrated close enough to the outer edge of the disk that they are
    probably out of the data area.

    On The Front Lines #1: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1, as
    well as a hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of the disk which
    was beneath it in the stack. Scratches on disk #2 and broken
    lock-tabs on the top front and back parts of the box. This package
    had no redeemable parts, so I exchanged it for a new package.

    On The Front Lines #2: A hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of
    the disk which was beneath it in the stack. I reluctantly kept this
    set.

    With non-existent quality control at Disney, I purchase Disney
    double-disk sets only from local retailers who will allow me to combine
    the undamaged parts of two or more sets.

    Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
    from the sets that I kept:

    Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000

    On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000

    I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
    out of the same initial shipment.

    Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
    double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
    appreciate their shoddy product?

    1-800-723-4763 (US)

    1-888-877-2843 (Canada)
     
    One-Shot Scot, May 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:28:35 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

    >Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!


    That doesn't mean it was scratched, dented, or broken at Disney. It
    is often the dault of the store for careless shipping and handling
    from their warehouse to local stores.

    Metal case tended to dent easily even from a little 2" drop. I prefer
    my DVD to be in cardboard case than tin case for this reason. Also
    metal scratches more easily than plastic or cardboard so metal case is
    a bad idea (this one you can blame Disney)
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
     
    Impmon, May 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. I got Chronological Donald from BJ's who sells a lot of there DVD's in a
    oversize cardboard box for anti-theft purposes(the boxes come from the
    studio).

    As a result, the metel case on mine is quite perfect.

    Mike

    One-Shot Scot wrote:
    >
    > Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
    >
    > It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
    > packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
    > that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
    > "Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
    > broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
    > more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.
    >
    > My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
    > _Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:
    >
    > Tomorrowland #1: Dented tin, fingerprints and scratches on disk #1,
    > broken lock-tab on the top front part of the box.
    >
    > Tomorrowland #2: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1 and creased
    > and scuffed "Treasures" booklet.
    >
    > By combining the best parts of two Tomorrowland sets, I was able to
    > create an acceptable set. The scratches on the better disk #1 are
    > concentrated close enough to the outer edge of the disk that they are
    > probably out of the data area.
    >
    > On The Front Lines #1: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1, as
    > well as a hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of the disk which
    > was beneath it in the stack. Scratches on disk #2 and broken
    > lock-tabs on the top front and back parts of the box. This package
    > had no redeemable parts, so I exchanged it for a new package.
    >
    > On The Front Lines #2: A hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of
    > the disk which was beneath it in the stack. I reluctantly kept this
    > set.
    >
    > With non-existent quality control at Disney, I purchase Disney
    > double-disk sets only from local retailers who will allow me to combine
    > the undamaged parts of two or more sets.
    >
    > Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
    > from the sets that I kept:
    >
    > Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000
    >
    > On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000
    >
    > I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
    > out of the same initial shipment.
    >
    > Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
    > double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
    > appreciate their shoddy product?
    >
    > 1-800-723-4763 (US)
    >
    > 1-888-877-2843 (Canada)
     
    Michael Rogers, May 20, 2004
    #3
  4. One-Shot Scot

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
    >
    > It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
    > packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
    > that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
    > "Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
    > broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
    > more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.


    [...]

    > Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
    > from the sets that I kept:
    >
    > Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000
    >
    > On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000
    >
    > I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
    > out of the same initial shipment.
    >
    > Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
    > double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
    > appreciate their shoddy product?
    >
    > 1-800-723-4763 (US)
    >
    > 1-888-877-2843 (Canada)


    I've purchased all of the Disney Treasures sets as soon as each one
    became available. It does seem that packaging QC was lacking a bit more
    in this wave of releases than previous ones - my copy of MICKEY MOUSE IN
    LIVING COLOR, VOLUME TWO was missing the certificate of authenticity,
    whereas THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD, VOLUME ONE had two certificates (in
    sequential order, not the same number, so someone else is going to be
    pissed off that their copy is missing its certificate). I suppose I'll
    call Buena Vista and see if I can trade the extra one for the missing
    one, but I'm not too optimistic about that happening. To add insult to
    injury, they stuck those friggin' adhesive anti-theft strips right on
    the cardboard band encircling the tins on three of the four tins I got.
    After tearing the band trying to get one of them off, I gave up and left
    the others on until I can figure out a better way.

    Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
    I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
    particularly ON THE FRONT LINES. But when you're marketing a limited-
    edition, premium product specifically to collectors and charging a
    premium price for it, buyers shouldn't have to tolerate these kinds of
    lapses.

    Dave
     
    Dave Garrett, May 21, 2004
    #4
  5. "Dave Garrett" <> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1b170d9effc8d7989e77@207.14.113.17...
    <<Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
    I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
    particularly ON THE FRONT LINES.

    Yes, this set is the highlight of the latest Treasures. _Victory Through
    Air Power_ is the highlight of this one. I have never seen World War II
    strategy so thoroughly and accurately explained. The box calls this a
    "propaganda film", but I don't see where those advocating air supremacy
    were giving out any incorrect information.

    <<But when you're marketing a limited-edition, premium product
    specifically to collectors and charging a premium price for it, buyers
    shouldn't have to tolerate these kinds of lapses. Dave>>

    The tins are just one more obstacle to use of the disks as well as
    their storage. Besides, Disney finally bundled up the last round of
    Treasures and sold them without the tins. If you want a tin, buy a
    fruitcake.

    Judging from the total pressings noted on the "Certificate of
    Authenticity" inserts, _On The Front Lines_ is expected to be a best
    seller, with 250,000 copies being produced. Apparently, Disney doesn't
    think that _Tomorrowland_, with 105,000 copies, will be of such great
    interest. Actually, I find both of them to be equally interesting.
     
    One-Shot Scot, May 21, 2004
    #5
  6. "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:28:35 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>


    >Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!


    <<That doesn't mean it was scratched, dented, or broken at Disney. It
    is often the fault of the store for careless shipping and handling from
    their warehouse to local stores.>>

    True. The Disney representative who talked to me on the phone quickly
    pointed this out.

    My question is, "Who needs these tins, anyway?"
     
    One-Shot Scot, May 21, 2004
    #6
  7. "Michael Rogers" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I got Chronological Donald from BJ's who sells a lot of there DVD's in
    > a oversize cardboard box for anti-theft purposes(the boxes come from
    > the studio).
    >
    > As a result, the metel case on mine is quite perfect.
    >
    > Mike



    Costco sells its DVDs in the same packaging. In my case, the oversize
    cardboard box concealed the dents on the edge of one of the tins.

    A truly anal collector would keep this outer cardboard packaging as
    well. After all, on the front is says "Walt Disney Treasures" and on the
    back you have the picture of Walt Disney walking through the door of
    Sleeping Beauty's castle, with a full-color Tinkerbelle generating
    sparks from her magic wand.

    So, now you can put the DVDs back into the case, put the case back into
    the tin and then put the tin back into the "Limited Series collector's
    Edition" cardboard box.

    Or, you could do as I did and throw the cardboard box in the trash bin.
     
    One-Shot Scot, May 21, 2004
    #7
  8. One-Shot Scot

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, One-Shot Scot
    <> wrote:

    > "Dave Garrett" <> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1b170d9effc8d7989e77@207.14.113.17...
    > <<Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
    > I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
    > particularly ON THE FRONT LINES.
    >
    > Yes, this set is the highlight of the latest Treasures. _Victory Through
    > Air Power_ is the highlight of this one. I have never seen World War II
    > strategy so thoroughly and accurately explained. The box calls this a
    > "propaganda film", but I don't see where those advocating air supremacy
    > were giving out any incorrect information.
    >

    Propaganda isn't by definition wrong. However, given how the war turned
    out we can see where some of the book and film's conclusions were
    incorrect. For example, in the Pacific island hopping to capture
    islands near Japan to use as airbases turned out to be much easier then
    the author thought. Bombers can't defend themselves well regardless of
    how many guns they have, and need fighter escorts.

    --
    Chris Mack "Refugee, total shit. That's how I've always seen us.
    'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
     
    Invid Fan, May 21, 2004
    #8
  9. On Fri, 21 May 2004 03:52:40 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, One-Shot Scot
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> "Dave Garrett" <> wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.1b170d9effc8d7989e77@207.14.113.17...
    >> <<Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
    >> I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
    >> particularly ON THE FRONT LINES.
    >>
    >> Yes, this set is the highlight of the latest Treasures. _Victory Through
    >> Air Power_ is the highlight of this one. I have never seen World War II
    >> strategy so thoroughly and accurately explained. The box calls this a
    >> "propaganda film", but I don't see where those advocating air supremacy
    >> were giving out any incorrect information.
    >>

    >Propaganda isn't by definition wrong. However, given how the war turned
    >out we can see where some of the book and film's conclusions were
    >incorrect. For example, in the Pacific island hopping to capture
    >islands near Japan to use as airbases turned out to be much easier then
    >the author thought. Bombers can't defend themselves well regardless of
    >how many guns they have, and need fighter escorts.



    That's right. Propaganda is simply media that is presented from a
    specific viewpoint designed to influence the audience into having
    certain beliefs or take certain actions. The material presented may
    indeed be correct, but unlike a truly balanced documentary, for
    instance, opposing viewpoints aren't expressed.

    I found the part concerning the attack on Japan to be the most
    fascinating part of "Victory". It presents a possible scenario of
    gradually destroying Japan's defenses until the allies are eventually
    able to safely invade by dropping in hordes of militia, unlike the
    actual events of instant submission by two atomic bombs. History
    could have been quite different.

    . Steve .
     
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 21, 2004
    #9
  10. One-Shot Scot

    Richard C. Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:28:35 -0700, "One-Shot Scot"
    <>
    :
    : >Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
    :
    : <<That doesn't mean it was scratched, dented, or broken at Disney. It
    : is often the fault of the store for careless shipping and handling
    from
    : their warehouse to local stores.>>
    :
    : True. The Disney representative who talked to me on the phone quickly
    : pointed this out.
    :
    : My question is, "Who needs these tins, anyway?"
    :
    ===========================
    I LOVE the tins. Of course, I am a collector.
    I loved the "Basic Instinct" package and the "Total Recall" Tin too.
    ===============================
    :
     
    Richard C., May 21, 2004
    #10
  11. One-Shot Scot

    Richard C. Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    :
    : A truly anal collector would keep this outer cardboard packaging as
    : well. After all, on the front is says "Walt Disney Treasures" and on
    the
    : back you have the picture of Walt Disney walking through the door of
    : Sleeping Beauty's castle, with a full-color Tinkerbelle generating
    : sparks from her magic wand.

    =================================
    I keep all of those packages.
    I even kept the ones from hundreds of early CDs.
    Have sold some of the boxes (without CD) for as much as $50.00
    ===============================
    :
    : Or, you could do as I did and throw the cardboard box in the trash
    bin.
    :
    ==================
    Big mistake...............
     
    Richard C., May 21, 2004
    #11
  12. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    > Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
    >
    > It is common knowledge that there is no quality control
    > as far as the packaging of Disney double-disk sets is
    > concerned. The irony here is that Disney is making a
    > big deal out of the packaging of its tin can "Treasures"
    > series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched
    > disks, broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the
    > tin cans are nothing more than a marketing gimmick and
    > the tin cans are a storage nuisance.
    >
    > My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
    > _Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:

    [snip]
    > Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of
    > Disney double-disk sets?


    Once again, Scot, you seem to have bad luck. I bought all
    four at a Best Buy, and there are no problems with any of
    them. The tins, the keepcases, and the discs are all fine.

    I will say, however, that the first copy of the Mickey volume
    I picked up had a couple of minor dents in the tin. Minor
    enough that I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it
    anyway if it had been the only copy there. But since there
    *were* other copies on the shelf, I swapped it for a dent-free
    copy.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, May 21, 2004
    #12
  13. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    Dave Garrett <> wrote:

    > Yes, I know the content is far more important than the
    > packaging, [...] But when you're marketing a limited-
    > edition, premium product specifically to collectors and
    > charging a premium price for it, buyers shouldn't have
    > to tolerate these kinds of lapses.


    Agree in principle, but "premium price"? I got them at Best
    Buy for $25 each. I'm not sure that I think of that as a
    premium price.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, May 21, 2004
    #13
  14. One-Shot Scot

    Richard C. Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    :
    : > Yes, I know the content is far more important than the
    : > packaging, [...] But when you're marketing a limited-
    : > edition, premium product specifically to collectors and
    : > charging a premium price for it, buyers shouldn't have
    : > to tolerate these kinds of lapses.
    :
    : Agree in principle, but "premium price"? I got them at Best
    : Buy for $25 each. I'm not sure that I think of that as a
    : premium price.
    :
    : -- jayembee

    ===================
    Sam's Club had them for under $21 each.......................
     
    Richard C., May 21, 2004
    #14
  15. One-Shot Scot

    JMKAUFFMAN Guest

    Fred Meyer, Portland -- $19.99 each (with coupon).
     
    JMKAUFFMAN, May 21, 2004
    #15
  16. One-Shot Scot

    Wade365 Guest

    << My question is, "Who needs these tins, anyway?" >><BR><BR>

    They're good for keepin' yer WEEeeeeEEED in, maaaaaan...

    .... other than that, I don't see the point, either. But if you are the sort
    who's purchasing DVDs with the intent on speculation for future market, you
    might wanna cut down on all of the dope smoking and seek help.

    Want my tins? I've got two of them and I could care less. All I want is the
    cartoons.

    PS - You don't see Warner Bros. doing this crap with THEIR discs! Collectibles,
    my ass. IT'S A FLIPPIN' D-V-D!!!
     
    Wade365, May 22, 2004
    #16
  17. One-Shot Scot

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Garrett <> wrote:


    > > Yes, I know the content is far more important than the
    > > packaging, [...] But when you're marketing a limited-
    > > edition, premium product specifically to collectors and
    > > charging a premium price for it, buyers shouldn't have
    > > to tolerate these kinds of lapses.

    >
    > Agree in principle, but "premium price"? I got them at Best
    > Buy for $25 each. I'm not sure that I think of that as a
    > premium price.


    I was thinking of MSRP, which is $32.99. Granted, most people who are
    interested in these sets are probably not going to pay MSRP, as they'll
    either get them on sale during the first week of release or online at a
    discount. But even $25 is still a bit more than the average 2-disc set
    these days; I just picked up AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS for $15.99 at
    Best Buy today (sale price; regular price there is $19.99) and the 2-
    disc SE of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY for $19.99 (on sale from
    $21.99).

    Interestingly, Costco had several cases full of all of the new Treasures
    sets for $21.99 - all except ON THE FRONT LINES, that is, of which there
    wasn't a single copy to be had.

    Dave
     
    Dave Garrett, May 22, 2004
    #17
  18. One-Shot Scot

    Richard C. Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : << My question is, "Who needs these tins, anyway?" >><BR><BR>
    :
    : They're good for keepin' yer WEEeeeeEEED in, maaaaaan...
    :
    : ... other than that, I don't see the point, either. But if you are the
    sort
    : who's purchasing DVDs with the intent on speculation for future
    market, you
    : might wanna cut down on all of the dope smoking and seek help.
    :
    : Want my tins? I've got two of them and I could care less. All I want
    is the
    : cartoons.
    :
    : PS - You don't see Warner Bros. doing this crap with THEIR discs!
    Collectibles,
    : my ass. IT'S A FLIPPIN' D-V-D!!!

    ==============================
    The best collectibles are the ones that were not intended to be.
    Ephemeral items make the best collectibles.
     
    Richard C., May 24, 2004
    #18
  19. One-Shot Scot

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<The best collectibles are the ones that were not intended to be.Ephemeral
    items make the best collectibles.>>

    true, but the demand for the Mickey DVDs is migher than the availability. The
    earlier ones appear to be going for $80 or so on ebay. Even the Complete Goofy
    is $40+. Not that I have any interest in selling mine.
     
    BubbCoop, May 24, 2004
    #19
  20. One-Shot Scot

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:13:34 -0700, "Richard C." <post-age
    @spamcop.net> Gave us:

    >The best collectibles are the ones that were not intended to be.
    >Ephemeral items make the best collectibles.
    >


    That must be what accounts for your two brain cells.
     
    DarkMatter, May 25, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrew Krieg

    Walt Disney Treasures Releases for 2003

    Andrew Krieg, Sep 4, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    717
    G. M. Watson
    Sep 5, 2003
  2. CHL
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    450
  3. Scot Gardner

    Disney Treasures 3 Delay: Tin Can Alley.

    Scot Gardner, Nov 16, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    614
    Scot Gardner
    Nov 16, 2003
  4. Amanda Marchini

    Disney Treasures DVD UK (region 2) releases

    Amanda Marchini, Dec 30, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    769
    ML-78
    Dec 30, 2003
  5. Dragon

    WTD Disney Treasures

    Dragon, Jan 6, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    872
    Smiley
    Jan 9, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page