Disney store Incredibles fullscreen OUTRAGE

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I like getting the Disney lithograph sets that Disney store has in
    theier catalog and store. I end up paying a bit more then I usually do
    but I enjoy the art prints.

    Anyway, I guess, although I have done it more than a few times before,
    it was always with a title that either didn't need a widescreen transfer
    or only came in widescreen or came with both.

    Anyway, a month ago I pre bought The Incredibles and got the
    lithographs. It's kinda a drag because the only Disney store in the area
    is a bit out of my way. So, I have to buy the DVD and wait and come back
    out to get it again when it comes out (Because the lithos only go to
    preorders).

    So, I go to this out of the way Disney Store just to pick up the DVD and
    what do you know:

    They only have fullscreen.

    I had no reason to suspect that The Disney Store would fail to carry
    both versions of a movie their namesake puts out. The logic of this
    escapes me.

    It is INEXCUSABLE that they would deny people that preordered at the
    Disney store the Widescreen version and it is even more inexcusable that
    the employees fail to inform the customers of that fact when they
    preorder.

    Well, I refused the video and wanted a refund. Trouble is, to get the
    refund I must surrender the lithographs.

    Although I considered that an insult heaped upon the inexcusable
    oversight of not having both versions available I was willing to do so,
    except for:

    The lithographs were at my house 25 minutes away.

    So, I have to

    1. drive all the way out to the Disney store to preorder this DVD to
    get the lithographs even though the DVD costs about $5 more than I would
    be able to get it closer to home. Nobody tells me that I can only get
    one version of the two versions Walt Disney home video will make
    available because why would I suspect that the Disney store would engage
    in such a mystifying action that automatically would cause
    dissatisfaction to the many people that prefer the version that Disney
    Store refuses to make available.

    2. I drive out to the store again for the sole purpose of picking up the
    video only to discover that the widescreen version that I see all over
    the place is not available for pickup at the Disney store.

    3. In order to get the refund for this inexcusable oversight, I have to
    drive back to my house, get the lithographs and drive back to the store
    again.

    I couldn't even temporarily take the video because all that I kept was
    the redeeming vouture. Once the redeeming vouture was gone, I had no
    receipt.

    This is a rotten thing to do to a customer. First, they fail to have
    both
    versions of the film available and I have to go through so much extra
    trouble in order to get my money back and make up for the company's
    inexcusable shortsightedness.

    Well, I ended up taking the video it will soon go up on Ebay (unless the
    bitching I plan to do to Disney customer service brings another result
    which it probabaly won't).

    I bought the widescreen version at Walmart

    So, I have lost gas, time, patience and more money than I bargained for
    because someone that makes the decisions for the Disney Store decided to
    not make available the widescreen version to preorder customers and not
    even mention it at the time of purchase.

    I cannot believe a major company would be so foolish as to pull this on
    a customer. I know I am not the only one that would refuse anything but
    a original aspexct ratio version.

    Some of you ought to bitch to them as well as I
    Mike, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Mike

    Mort Shuman Guest

    I had the same exact problem. I can't believe that the Disney Store only
    supplies Full Screen versions - I called two locations, and they said the
    same thing. They are only getting full screen. They said normally they get
    both, but for some reason, they're only getting FS for The Incredibles. So
    I went to Best Buy, got another Lithograph (sheesh!), and paid about $16 the
    widescreen version. I have yet to pick up the FS version - I'll probably
    give it to a family member who doesn't care either way. Unbelievable...

    By the way, a friend of mine ordered it on The Disney Store website, and
    although it is advertised on the site as Fullscreen (in the accompanying
    photos), the copy he got (a day early I might add) was WIDESCREEN. So if
    you order from Disney Store on line, you get widescreen. Go into the store,
    you get Full Screen. Unbelievable....

    Anyway, this is a great DVD, so I'm happy to have it in my collection, but
    what a scam they have going on there. I'll never buy another DVD from
    Disney unless I get assurances up front that it's Widescreen....

    Mort

    Mort Shuman, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Mike

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Mort Shuman wrote:
> [...]
    >>trouble in order to get my money back and make up for the company's
    >>inexcusable shortsightedness.
    >>
    >>Well, I ended up taking the video it will soon go up on Ebay (unless the
    >>bitching I plan to do to Disney customer service brings another result
    >>which it probabaly won't).
    >>
    >>I bought the widescreen version at Walmart
    >>
    >>So, I have lost gas, time, patience and more money than I bargained for
    >>because someone that makes the decisions for the Disney Store decided to
    >>not make available the widescreen version to preorder customers and not
    >>even mention it at the time of purchase.
    >>
    >>I cannot believe a major company would be so foolish as to pull this on
    >>a customer. I know I am not the only one that would refuse anything but
    >>a original aspexct ratio version.
    >>
    >>Some of you ought to bitch to them as well as I

    I would suggest that you send a POLITE LETTER (real mail) to corporate
    headquarters of the Disney Store. There's a slim chance that you might
    get some satisfaction.

    dick
    -- BTW my daughter worked at the Disney store during the christmas rush.
    It was sold to another company soon after Christmas so that may be the
    problem.
    Dick Sidbury, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Mike

    lugnut Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:33:40 -0500, "Mort Shuman"
    <> wrote:

    >I had the same exact problem. I can't believe that the Disney Store only
    >supplies Full Screen versions - I called two locations, and they said the
    >same thing. They are only getting full screen. They said normally they get
    >both, but for some reason, they're only getting FS for The Incredibles. So
    >I went to Best Buy, got another Lithograph (sheesh!), and paid about $16 the
    >widescreen version. I have yet to pick up the FS version - I'll probably
    >give it to a family member who doesn't care either way. Unbelievable...
    >
    >By the way, a friend of mine ordered it on The Disney Store website, and
    >although it is advertised on the site as Fullscreen (in the accompanying
    >photos), the copy he got (a day early I might add) was WIDESCREEN. So if
    >you order from Disney Store on line, you get widescreen. Go into the store,
    >you get Full Screen. Unbelievable....

    Mostly unrelated to this situation, but upon going by Movie Gallery
    yesterday, I noticed they had a rather large number of copies...all
    fullscreen - which is completely unusual for that store. All their
    new "for sale" copies were FS, as well.

    Perhaps Disney is heavily pushing the FS version through its
    distributors for...some reason?

    -lugnut
    lugnut, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Mike

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > dick
    > -- BTW my daughter worked at the Disney store during the christmas rush.
    > It was sold to another company soon after Christmas so that may be the
    > problem.

    To followup my own post, I mentioned this to my daughter this morning
    and she said that it wasn't surprising. The last movie that they got in
    the Disney store (just before her holiday employment was terminated
    about mid-january) all they got was full-screen copies.

    I'd urge everyone who wants widescreen movies and Disney lithographs in
    the future to return the disk and lithographs to their local store and
    ask for a refund. That may get the message across.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Mike

    Arthur Bang Guest

    I had the same thing happen.. Went to the Disney store, and they only had
    fullscreen. Because I'd heard about it only being available that way on
    disneydirect.com, I didn't question it, but did what others did and went and
    bought a widescreen copy elsewhere. I also plan on either giving the FS as
    a gift, or putting it up on Ebay (although copies right now are only going
    for around $12)...

    Arthur
    http://www.thepickle.net/
    Arthur Bang, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Mike

    Rob Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >
    > > dick
    > > -- BTW my daughter worked at the Disney store during the christmas rush.
    > > It was sold to another company soon after Christmas so that may be the
    > > problem.

    > To followup my own post, I mentioned this to my daughter this morning
    > and she said that it wasn't surprising. The last movie that they got in
    > the Disney store (just before her holiday employment was terminated
    > about mid-january) all they got was full-screen copies.
    >
    > I'd urge everyone who wants widescreen movies and Disney lithographs in
    > the future to return the disk and lithographs to their local store and
    > ask for a refund. That may get the message across.

    I had no problem getting the WS version here - the stores are loaded with
    both versions.

    Rob
    Canada

    Rob, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Mike

    Guest

    Arthur Bang wrote:
    > I had the same thing happen.. Went to the Disney store, and they

    only had
    > fullscreen. Because I'd heard about it only being available that way

    on
    > disneydirect.com, I didn't question it, but did what others did and

    went and
    > bought a widescreen copy elsewhere. I also plan on either giving the

    FS as
    > a gift, or putting it up on Ebay (although copies right now are only

    going
    > for around $12)...

    Costco has the widescreen 2-disc special edition (2nd disc has
    additional Pixar
    anims and a lot of other goodies) along with the book for (approx.)
    US$19.
    , Mar 16, 2005
  9. Mike

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >>

    >>>dick
    >>>-- BTW my daughter worked at the Disney store during the christmas rush.
    >>> It was sold to another company soon after Christmas so that may be the
    >>>problem.

    >>To followup my own post, I mentioned this to my daughter this morning
    >>and she said that it wasn't surprising. The last movie that they got in
    >>the Disney store (just before her holiday employment was terminated
    >>about mid-january) all they got was full-screen copies.
    >>
    >>I'd urge everyone who wants widescreen movies and Disney lithographs in
    >>the future to return the disk and lithographs to their local store and
    >>ask for a refund. That may get the message across.
    >>

    > I had no problem getting the WS version here - the stores are loaded with
    > both versions.

    Disney Stores?
    Dick Sidbury, Mar 16, 2005
  10. Mike

    Guest

    Don't know about this Incredible Outrage but my wife joined their mail
    order movie club (about 7 months ago) and it has been nothing but
    trouble when (about two months ago) she sent in one of the return cards
    with the five selections needed to close out the required purchase
    agreement.
    About a month after sending it in a letter came with not only two of
    her selections cut/left out as they as they doubled up and listed two
    of the same selections on two of her movies,and on top of that they
    then wanted her to pay for the order in advance.
    Anyway she called them as they would not reply to emails and boy she
    got so damn mad at the service rep that she snapped and ended up
    telling them to keep the damn things!
    In fact she told me that she told them that she could buy the friggin
    dvds locally for half the price they were going fooor in the club
    catalog!
    , Mar 17, 2005
  11. Mike

    unclejr Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > They only have fullscreen.

    Not if you would have pre-ordered from disneydirect.com... Not only
    did I receive the WS DVD *AND* the lithographs in the mail, but a
    handful of other folks that I know received the WS DVD from them as
    well.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Mar 17, 2005
  12. Mike

    Guest

    If your full-screen copy is new and unopened (sealed), Wal-Mart will
    take it as a return without a receipt and give you store credit. Take
    off any extra stickers the Disney Store may have put on the outside
    before you take it to Wal-Mart though.

    Arthur Bang wrote:
    > I had the same thing happen.. Went to the Disney store, and they

    only had
    > fullscreen. Because I'd heard about it only being available that way

    on
    > disneydirect.com, I didn't question it, but did what others did and

    went and
    > bought a widescreen copy elsewhere. I also plan on either giving the

    FS as
    > a gift, or putting it up on Ebay (although copies right now are only

    going
    > for around $12)...
    , Mar 17, 2005
  13. Mike

    imsjry Guest

    Mort Shuman wrote:
    > I had the same exact problem. I can't believe that the Disney Store

    only
    > supplies Full Screen versions - I called two locations, and they said

    the
    > same thing. They are only getting full screen. They said normally

    they get
    > both, but for some reason, they're only getting FS for The

    Incredibles. So
    > I went to Best Buy, got another Lithograph (sheesh!), and paid about

    $16 the
    > widescreen version. I have yet to pick up the FS version - I'll

    probably
    > give it to a family member who doesn't care either way.

    Unbelievable...

    I guarantee you that the store gets many more complaints from people
    about why their movie has "black bars" in it, than complaints from you
    guys who like widescreen.
    imsjry, Mar 17, 2005
  14. Mike

    Justin Guest

    imsjry wrote on [17 Mar 2005 12:09:51 -0800]:

    > Mort Shuman wrote:
    >> I had the same exact problem. I can't believe that the Disney Store

    > only
    >> supplies Full Screen versions - I called two locations, and they said

    > the
    >> same thing. They are only getting full screen. They said normally

    > they get
    >> both, but for some reason, they're only getting FS for The

    > Incredibles. So
    >> I went to Best Buy, got another Lithograph (sheesh!), and paid about

    > $16 the
    >> widescreen version. I have yet to pick up the FS version - I'll

    > probably
    >> give it to a family member who doesn't care either way.

    > Unbelievable...
    >>

    > I guarantee you that the store gets many more complaints from people
    > about why their movie has "black bars" in it, than complaints from you
    > guys who like widescreen.

    And millions of people think that smoking is a good choice...
    Justin, Mar 17, 2005
  15. Mike

    Kevin Guest

    lugnut <> wrote:
    > Mostly unrelated to this situation, but upon going by Movie Gallery
    > yesterday, I noticed they had a rather large number of copies...all
    > fullscreen - which is completely unusual for that store. All their
    > new "for sale" copies were FS, as well.

    > Perhaps Disney is heavily pushing the FS version through its
    > distributors for...some reason?

    For what it's worth, I was at the local Future Shop on Tuesday night and
    there were tons of FS editions, but there was a sign up saying the widescreen
    version was all sold out. I had been there before earlier in the day to
    pick up my widescreen copy, there were tons.

    So maybe they did stock widescreen versions but were very quickly sold out.
    Kevin, Mar 18, 2005
  16. Mike

    Guest

    >I guarantee you that the store gets many more complaints from people
    >about why their movie has "black bars" in it, than complaints from you

    >guys who like widescreen.

    Highly doubtful considering sales numbers but nice try anyway.
    , Mar 18, 2005