Disney feeling the hard times.........finally

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Apr 11, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    2,000 or so employees from disneyworld and disneyland are being laid
    off as job restructuring is taking place.
    Disney blames it on hard times.
    I say they cut their own throats. Last year I paid $200 for a 4 day
    pass just for myself. Not to mention the $11 per day it cost me just
    to park in their lot.

    Can you imagine what it would cost a family with 3 or more kids just
    for one day? The way they have it set up in disneyworld, you can't go
    in for the day and see everything on one ticket. You have to buy
    seperate tickets for each section.

    Then, if you're going to spend the full day there, you need to eat.
    With a family, that's gonna cost you another $50 - $100 easily. Per
    meal.

    Since most of the rides and other things have been the same since they
    opened the park, raising the prices over the years isn't about
    expenses. It's about making the pockets of the operators fatter.

    One good thing though, the employees that have been laid off are
    getting decent severance packages. Some will be getting paychecks for
    up to 60 days.

    I wonder how soon Disney is going to ask Obama for a bailout.

    richard, Apr 11, 2009

  2. Hello,

    Sorry, what is the problem here we can help you with?

    ______________
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
    VCD/DVD

    TompangBuddy.Com, Apr 11, 2009

  3. richard

    VanguardLH Guest

    richard intently exhibits his stupidity:

    > 2,000 or so employees from disneyworld and disneyland are being laid
    > off as job restructuring is taking place.
    > Disney blames it on hard times.
    > I say they cut their own throats. Last year I paid $200 for a 4 day
    > pass just for myself. Not to mention the $11 per day it cost me just
    > to park in their lot.

    Yes, the parks are pricey so it behooves you to get a deal on airfare,
    car rental, and the hotel/resort. That YOU chose to go during high peak
    season was your choice. Take the kids out of school and have them make
    up their homework when they return (or arrange with the school to have
    the kids do the homework during the trip and hand it in when they
    return). If you like staying at better places but want to get a deal,
    look at auction sites, like SkyAuction.com. Some other handy sites are
    mousesavers.com and fatwallet.com. Find out if there is a Disney fan
    club that meets in your area so you can find out about deals, tricks to
    use the parks, freebies, etc. Save elsewhere to compensate for the
    Disney tickets.

    > Can you imagine what it would cost a family with 3 or more kids just
    > for one day? The way they have it set up in disneyworld, you can't go
    > in for the day and see everything on one ticket. You have to buy
    > seperate tickets for each section.

    Been doing an entire park in a day for many years now. Even my sister
    with her 2 kids manage to do the entire park and with time to spare (so
    they have to decide whether or not to go back for the fireworks). Not
    everyone stands around going "Duh, uhhh, what should we do next." Some
    visitors actually hit the 'Net and review the parks, plan their
    excursion, visit Disney sites and forums, get maps sent to their home
    from Disney, and otherwise prepare for their trip. You spend all that
    time planning when to go, getting airfare, arranging hotel/resort
    reservations, renting a car, and you can't manage to plan the day at the
    park? For example, find out from everyone what will be your group's
    favorites spots so you hit those first. Then go wander around to look
    at the rest. It doesn't hurt to hit the park (but not pay to enter) to
    get a time schedule from Customer Service so you can see what your
    routes should be through the park to hit the most favored attractions
    first and in what order based on their showtimes or availability.

    In fact, on a day that we don't go to a park but, for example, want to
    do a Disney restaurant, like at Epcot, we use the 1-hour shopping pass.
    We make reservations at one of the restaurants at Epcot for the evening,
    take the boat to the back gate which is closer to International Circle,
    and dash to the restaurant to have a meal. Done that with the London,
    Moroccan, German, and Mexican spots. Hit restaurants where it's a
    buffet or you get to pick your food on entry, pay, and then get seated
    to eat. Be pesky with the hostess and table server so they are very
    informed that you have just 40 minutes from order, server, eat, pay, and
    leave. If you do it right, it becomes a contest for them. The tightest
    was with 4 minutes to spare (and we did have to be pushy in getting the
    waitress to keep checking on the progress of the meal). Just don't tell
    them that you're hitting a restaurant (they'll try to talk you out of
    it) and instead are picking up a parcel you bought and left at Customer
    Service (which is at the front of the park). If you don't get out in an
    hour, you don't get refunded the ticket cost (you buy a ticket to go in
    and get refunded when you leave if it's within an hour). It's our
    adventure and we've made it without cost several times. Again, only do
    this if you visit during low season.

    > Then, if you're going to spend the full day there, you need to eat.
    > With a family, that's gonna cost you another $50 - $100 easily. Per
    > meal.

    Geez, how dumb can you get. You are allowed back into the park. The
    ticket is for the entire day. Leave and go eat elsewhere. Or,
    especially if you have kids, go back to the resort where you can rest
    and the kids hit the pool, and get refreshed for the rest of the day at
    the park. Not one of the parks can't be traversed in a day but that
    depends on WHEN during the year that you go. If your amongst the
    lemmings that have to go during high red season then, gee, you get to
    stand in lines for an hour for a 4-minute ride. Yeah, like that was
    good planning. It's nice having a timeout from the park to regenerate
    and then good back. With parents and kids, it helps get the parents off
    the kids' back with parents bitching about the kids not exuberantly
    enjoying the high cost of their park experience and it gets the kids
    from being cranky and whining to their parents.

    Of course, if YOU decide to go during high peak season then YOU chose to
    waste your time standing in lines, sweltering in the hot and humid
    weather and often raining, along with the high demand and higher cost
    for airfare, car rental, and hotel/resort. It's not Disney's fault that
    you chose to hit the area when costs are highest since the tickets at
    Disney don't change with the season.

    > Since most of the rides and other things have been the same since they
    > opened the park, raising the prices over the years isn't about
    > expenses. It's about making the pockets of the operators fatter.

    They do add new rides. Just because it wasn't open yet when you were
    there doesn't obviate the cost of building the ride. Of course, there
    are their employees, just like you, that want to get paid more each
    year. Then there are costs to maintain the rides and costs for
    materials that go up. Costs for insurance that go up. Property taxes
    that go up. Costs for electrical power that go up along with the other
    logistics of running a theme park (water, trash disposal, phones,
    computers, Internet service, prop materials, etc.).

    Only a boob like you would think Disney's costs were fixed back in the
    50's. You just take every opportunity to show how stupid you are.

    > One good thing though, the employees that have been laid off are
    > getting decent severance packages. Some will be getting paychecks for
    > up to 60 days.

    2 months isn't that long when you are looking for a new job in a market
    that is getting flooded with other ex-employees.

    > I wonder how soon Disney is going to ask Obama for a bailout.

    Bet if the shoe were on the other foot, you'd love to get a bailout for
    your employer so you could keep your job. Oh, do you have one yet?

    VanguardLH, Apr 11, 2009
  4. richard

    Tony Guest

    It was family oriented until Walt died. He looked sort of like Slim
    Whitman.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 11, 2009
  5. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:09:49 +0800, "TompangBuddy.Com"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Sorry, what is the problem here we can help you with?

    richard? Oh, he just needs his meds increased.

    Evan Platt, Apr 11, 2009
  6. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 02:52:09 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >2,000 or so employees from disneyworld and disneyland are being laid
    >off as job restructuring is taking place.
    >Disney blames it on hard times.
    >I say they cut their own throats. Last year I paid $200 for a 4 day
    >pass just for myself. Not to mention the $11 per day it cost me just
    >to park in their lot.

    $50 a day? That's not bad. Now go back and take your meds.

    Evan Platt, Apr 11, 2009
  7. richard

    tom Guest

    "TompangBuddy.Com" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Sorry, what is the problem here we can help you with?
    >
    > ______________
    > http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    > Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    > http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
    > Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes
    > to VCD/DVD
    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> 2,000 or so employees from disneyworld and disneyland are being laid
    >> off as job restructuring is taking place.
    >> Disney blames it on hard times.

    No more or less OT than half the crap that shows up here.

    tom, Apr 11, 2009
  8. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:59:31 -0500, tom wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > No more or less OT than half the crap that shows up here.

    And what exactly do you consider to be ON topic for this NG?

    Here's a hint to the correct answer: anything and everything.

    Aardvark, Apr 11, 2009
  9. richard

    catchme Guest

    richard wrote:
    > 2,000 or so employees from disneyworld and disneyland are being laid
    > off as job restructuring is taking place.
    > Disney blames it on hard times.
    > I say they cut their own throats. Last year I paid $200 for a 4 day
    > pass just for myself. Not to mention the $11 per day it cost me just
    > to park in their lot.
    >
    > Can you imagine what it would cost a family with 3 or more kids just
    > for one day? The way they have it set up in disneyworld, you can't go
    > in for the day and see everything on one ticket. You have to buy
    > seperate tickets for each section.
    >
    > Then, if you're going to spend the full day there, you need to eat.
    > With a family, that's gonna cost you another $50 - $100 easily. Per
    > meal.
    >
    > Since most of the rides and other things have been the same since they
    > opened the park, raising the prices over the years isn't about
    > expenses. It's about making the pockets of the operators fatter.
    >
    > One good thing though, the employees that have been laid off are
    > getting decent severance packages. Some will be getting paychecks for
    > up to 60 days.
    >
    > I wonder how soon Disney is going to ask Obama for a bailout.

    here in vancouver we have a 'National Exhibition' (essentially an
    oversized county fair), where ticket prices are comparable to Disney on
    a day-day basis (we dont have 4-day passes).
    Parking is also not free, but even so the lots are always overfull and
    neighbouring residents offer space in their backyards for a fee as well.
    Food costs are a little lower, until one realises that one gets hungry
    again a short time later...
    Wages when i worked there, were about $3. over minimum.
    They don't profit from having a big name like Disney, yet their prices
    are nearly the same and manage to turn in large crowds regularly.
    I have never been to Disney, because i never felt much like travelling
    to California- but if I were a local, I might go.

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860

    catchme, Apr 11, 2009
  10. richard

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:34:54 -0700, catchme <>
    wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> 2,000 or so employees from disneyworld and disneyland are being laid
    >> off as job restructuring is taking place.
    >> Disney blames it on hard times.
    >> I say they cut their own throats. Last year I paid $200 for a 4 day
    >> pass just for myself. Not to mention the $11 per day it cost me just
    >> to park in their lot.
    >>
    >> Can you imagine what it would cost a family with 3 or more kids just
    >> for one day? The way they have it set up in disneyworld, you can't go
    >> in for the day and see everything on one ticket. You have to buy
    >> seperate tickets for each section.
    >>
    >> Then, if you're going to spend the full day there, you need to eat.
    >> With a family, that's gonna cost you another $50 - $100 easily. Per
    >> meal.
    >>
    >> Since most of the rides and other things have been the same since they
    >> opened the park, raising the prices over the years isn't about
    >> expenses. It's about making the pockets of the operators fatter.
    >>
    >> One good thing though, the employees that have been laid off are
    >> getting decent severance packages. Some will be getting paychecks for
    >> up to 60 days.
    >>
    >> I wonder how soon Disney is going to ask Obama for a bailout.
    >>

    >here in vancouver we have a 'National Exhibition' (essentially an
    >oversized county fair), where ticket prices are comparable to Disney on
    >a day-day basis (we dont have 4-day passes).
    >Parking is also not free, but even so the lots are always overfull and
    >neighbouring residents offer space in their backyards for a fee as well.
    >Food costs are a little lower, until one realises that one gets hungry
    >again a short time later...
    >Wages when i worked there, were about $3. over minimum.
    >They don't profit from having a big name like Disney, yet their prices
    >are nearly the same and manage to turn in large crowds regularly.
    >I have never been to Disney, because i never felt much like travelling
    >to California- but if I were a local, I might go.

    In So. Cal, locals get a "deal" during the off-season and you can buy
    your tickets at Costco. So it isn't too bad.

    Scribner, Apr 14, 2009