Disney DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dave Navarro, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Dave Navarro

    Dave Navarro Guest

    If you have a DVD burner in your computer, I highly recommend that you
    make a copy of your disney DVD, rather than play the original.

    I do it for two reasons. First, my nephew has destroyed three original
    DVD's that I couldn't recover. One of which was an older Disney movie
    that's no longer selling (Disney replaced the scratched DVD for $15,
    including shipping). I backup all my childrens movies now and let the
    kids use the backups. Second, if you "re-author" the DVD, you can
    remove those damn commercials.

    The downside to backing up DVD's is that the quality is lower (which is
    why I don't bother with the movies that *I* watch and don't let anyone
    else touch). But the kids don't notice and I'm not buying the same
    movie more than once.

    More than worth the cost of a DVD burner when you have young children in
    the house.

    --Dave

    ps. I use DVD-Shrink for most stuff. I use Nero Recode to re-author
    the Disney movies to get rid of the commercials.

    As I mentioned above, if you're a "videophile" and quality is important
    then don't bother copying the stuff you usually watch. DVD media is
    "single-layer" which means that it holds half as much data as most good
    quality movie DVDs, so there is quality loss when you make a copy.

    Dual layer media is available and works in a few drives but the cost of
    the media and the trouble creating DVD's that work isn't worth the
    effort.

    I took all of "my" movies and put them in a custom locked cabinet (with
    a combination lock). Not even my wife has the combination <grin>.
    Nobody touches them but me.
    Dave Navarro, Feb 2, 2004

  2. One of the greatest uses of optical disc recorders is being able to make
    backups of your originals for the sole purpose of protecting your investment.
    - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Feb 2, 2004