Disney buys the Muppets

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nick, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Nick, Feb 18, 2004

  2. CAndersen (Kimba), Feb 18, 2004

  3. Nick

    Bill Binder Guest

    More to the point, The Henson left Disney a couple of years ago because
    Disney treated their home video product so badly. Case in Point; Muppet
    Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol were distributed by Disney -
    pan and scan - no extras. The other Muppet Movies were distributed by
    Columbia TriStar - widescreen, and with not a great amount of
    supplements, but a little.

    Bill
    Bill Binder, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Nick

    Moviezzz Guest

    >More to the point, The Henson left Disney a couple of years ago because
    >Disney treated their home video product so badly. Case in Point; Muppet
    >Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol were distributed by Disney -
    >pan and scan - no extras. The other Muppet Movies were distributed by
    >Columbia TriStar - widescreen, and with not a great amount of
    >supplements, but a little.

    That's not why they left as they were gone from Disney before DVD took off.
    Moviezzz, Feb 18, 2004
  5. CAndersen (Kimba) wrote:

    > "Nick" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Now maybe the old shows will be released more quicker

    > You mean like the mess Disney made of Rocky and Bullwinkle?
    > What exactly in Disney's past bodes well for a non-revisionist set of
    > Muppet DVDs?

    ....The upcoming Spiderman box?

    Derek Janssen (okay, so that's technically present/future, but, y'know...)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Moviezzz wrote:
    >>More to the point, The Henson left Disney a couple of years ago because
    >>Disney treated their home video product so badly. Case in Point; Muppet
    >>Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol were distributed by Disney -
    >>pan and scan - no extras. The other Muppet Movies were distributed by
    >>Columbia TriStar - widescreen, and with not a great amount of
    >>supplements, but a little.

    > That's not why they left as they were gone from Disney before DVD took off.

    It was basically over new CEO Brian's reaction to how much independence
    the company would have after Jim, which, in those late-80's/early-90's
    Disney-weasel days was...not much.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Nick

    Bill Binder Guest

    Moviezzz wrote:
    > That's not why they left as they were gone from Disney before DVD took off.

    They left (in part) because the VHS tapes had not been released in
    years. The moment Columbia signed the contracts, the tapes were on the
    market. And regardless of reasons or details, the point I was making was
    that the Columbia DVDs are decent if not great, and the Disney Muppet
    DVDs are the worst crap out there.

    Bill Binder
    Bill Binder, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Nick

    Moviezzz Guest

    >They left (in part) because the VHS tapes had not been released in
    >years.

    That's not exactly true. When Disney got the rights in the early 90's, they
    released all the films again, even THE MUPPET MOVIE (which has been on several
    labels). They were still widely available when Columbia got the rights.

    As for the Columbia deal, it kind of helped that you had a Henson up there in
    the management at Sony.

    > the point I was making was
    >that the Columbia DVDs are decent if not great, and the Disney Muppet
    >DVDs are the worst crap out there.

    Most of Disney catalogue family titles are featureless and full frame. They
    treat all titles like that.
    Moviezzz, Feb 19, 2004