Disney buys Pixar for $7B

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Goro, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Goro

    M.B. Guest

    M.B., Jan 23, 2006

  3. "M.B." <> wrote in
    news::

    > Goro wrote:
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/01/22/cnpi
    >> xar22.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/01/22/ixcitytop.html
    >>
    >> pending approval still, but looks just about a done deal and Jobs is
    >> gonna pocket about $3.5B out of it.
    >>
    >> -goro-
    >>

    > So does this mean we will get an Incredibles sequel???

    Yes, a straight-to-DVD clip called "Incredibles II: Mr. Incredible's
    Family Album". It'll actually be three episodes of the cheaply-animated
    Saturday morning cartoon pasted together, with CGI for filler material.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Goro

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Jan 23, 2006
  5. Goro

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/01/22/cnpixar22.xm
    > l&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/01/22/ixcitytop.html
    >
    > pending approval still, but looks just about a done deal and Jobs is
    > gonna pocket about $3.5B out of it.

    What you of course mean is that he'll have $3.5B of Disney stock instead
    of the $3.5B of Pixar stock he already has.

    It doesn't quite sound right to me. I suspect that at least one of the
    following must be true:

    - the price is significantly more than $7B

    - Jobs is looking to cash out and thinks 15% of Disney will be easier to
    unload than 51% of Pixar

    - Jobs believes he can gain effective control of Disney

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jan 23, 2006
  6. Goro

    unclejr Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > - Jobs believes he can gain effective control of Disney

    Bingo. Disney is just going to be the next feather in his cap. It's
    all about ego, babee...

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 23, 2006
  7. Goro

    Justin Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote on [Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:54:09 +1300]:
    > In article <>,
    > "Goro" <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/01/22/cnpixar22.xm
    >> l&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/01/22/ixcitytop.html
    >>
    >> pending approval still, but looks just about a done deal and Jobs is
    >> gonna pocket about $3.5B out of it.

    > What you of course mean is that he'll have $3.5B of Disney stock instead
    > of the $3.5B of Pixar stock he already has.
    >
    > It doesn't quite sound right to me. I suspect that at least one of the
    > following must be true:
    >
    > - the price is significantly more than $7B
    >
    > - Jobs is looking to cash out and thinks 15% of Disney will be easier to
    > unload than 51% of Pixar
    >
    > - Jobs believes he can gain effective control of Disney

    He believes he can convince them to sell content on iTunes.
    Justin, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Goro

    M.B. Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > He believes he can convince them to sell content on iTunes.

    Uhhh, they're already selling content on iTunes.
    M.B., Jan 23, 2006
  9. Goro

    Justin Guest

    M.B. wrote on [Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:37:29 -0800]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >

    >> He believes he can convince them to sell content on iTunes.

    > Uhhh, they're already selling content on iTunes.

    I should have said "more content" as in "all they have license to".
    Video, music, etc.
    Justin, Jan 23, 2006
  10. Justin wrote:

    > M.B. wrote on [Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:37:29 -0800]:
    >
    >>Justin wrote:
    >>

    >>>He believes he can convince them to sell content on iTunes.

    >>Uhhh, they're already selling content on iTunes.

    > I should have said "more content" as in "all they have license to".
    > Video, music, etc.

    Again...

    In fact, Disney was the only one who *DID* spring their entire catalog
    for Steve's Folly from the beginning, to sweeten the negotiations--
    Persuading Universal to join the "next media trend" took a LOT longer,
    and a lot more clueless techno-honeymoon articles in the mainstream
    press, and nobody else's *still* shown up yet...Warner's holding out
    till the bitter end.

    Derek Janssen (relax, this's gonna take a while)
    Derek Janssen, Jan 23, 2006
  11. Goro

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Goro" <> wrote:

    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/01/22/cnpixar22.xm
    > l&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/01/22/ixcitytop.html
    >
    > pending approval still, but looks just about a done deal and Jobs is
    > gonna pocket about $3.5B out of it.
    >
    > -goro-

    At this rate, in a few years Apple is gonna make Microsoft look like
    small fries..
    Black Locust, Jan 26, 2006
  12. Goro

    rick++ Guest

    On the surface it looks like Disney is buying Pixar,
    but it might really be Pixar taking control of Disney.
    Jobs did the same thing with Apple 7 years ago.
    After he was kicked out in 1985(?) he started an
    educational computer company called
    NeXT. It had great software, but wasnt
    compatible with anything and too
    expensive for students.
    In the 1990s Apple was spiraling downhill
    from unimaginative management and dead-end
    software. (sounds like Disney?) So it went shopping for a merger with
    a state-of-the-art software company. Apple
    bought NeXT for a huge amount, effectively making
    Steve the largest shareholder again. The old CEO quit
    and the board made Steve "provisional CEO" for while
    looking for a permenant replacement. Steve was
    busy making Toy Story at Pixar and wasnt certain
    he could manage two companies. But Steve replaced
    most of the Apple VPs with NeXT people,
    merged the MacOS in NeXT. So it was really NeXT
    took over Apple.

    Steve gets an inside track for Apple to Disney's immense
    media vault of movies, ABC and ESPN.
    rick++, Jan 26, 2006
  13. Well, there goes that nice run of good Pixar films. We'll be referring to
    the Toy Story-Incredibles era as "the Golden Age" from here on out.

    --
    alt.flame Special Forces
    "The populace may hiss at me, but when I go home and think of my money, I
    Avoid normal situations., Feb 13, 2006
  14. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    "Avoid normal situations." <>
    wrote in message news:dsor9n$oa$...
    > Well, there goes that nice run of good Pixar films. We'll be referring to
    > the Toy Story-Incredibles era as "the Golden Age" from here on out.
    >
    > --
    > alt.flame Special Forces
    > "The populace may hiss at me, but when I go home and think of my money, I
    > applaud myself." -- Horace

    Pixar's last film was a dud.
    Alpha, Feb 13, 2006
  15. Goro

    Justin Guest

    Alpha wrote on [Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:52:17 -0800]:

    > "Avoid normal situations." <>
    > wrote in message news:dsor9n$oa$...
    >> Well, there goes that nice run of good Pixar films. We'll be referring to
    >> the Toy Story-Incredibles era as "the Golden Age" from here on out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> alt.flame Special Forces
    >> "The populace may hiss at me, but when I go home and think of my money, I
    >> applaud myself." -- Horace

    > Pixar's last film was a dud.

    The Incredibles was a dud?
    Justin, Feb 13, 2006
  16. Goro

    Steve K. Guest

    Avoid normal situations. wrote:
    > Well, there goes that nice run of good Pixar films. We'll be referring to
    > the Toy Story-Incredibles era as "the Golden Age" from here on out.

    You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If you did, you
    would realize that Disney may have bought PIXAR, but it's PIXAR that's
    calling the shots.

    http://www.animationmeat.com
    Steve K., Feb 15, 2006