DiskScan - advice please?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chuck S, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Chuck S

    Chuck S Guest

    What makes the windows me version of Defrag faster I wonder ?
    Chuck

    Chuck S, Sep 30, 2003

  2. "Caroline" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I normally do a thorough diskscan & defrag overnight. I set it to 'fix
    > errors automatically'. Lately been doing it more regularly, and during

    day.

    > I have done it x3 in last 5 days and each time it has taken about 8 hours!
    > Is this normal?
    >
    > (I have Win98se, 75% free resources. I use SpyBot & AdAware & ran them
    > before maintenance.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    You have to switch off all programs when doing scandisk and defrag.
    Especially virus checkers or they keep interrupting the program and make it
    restart constantly. Some people run these in safe mode to speed things up.
    HTH.

    Caroline, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Chuck S

    Steve Guest

    "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message

    > "Caroline" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I normally do a thorough diskscan & defrag overnight. I set it to 'fix
    > > errors automatically'. Lately been doing it more regularly, and during

    > day.
    > >
    > > I have done it x3 in last 5 days and each time it has taken about 8

    hours!
    > > Is this normal?
    > >
    > > (I have Win98se, 75% free resources. I use SpyBot & AdAware & ran them
    > > before maintenance.)
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > You have to switch off all programs when doing scandisk and defrag.
    > Especially virus checkers or they keep interrupting the program and make

    it
    > restart constantly. Some people run these in safe mode to speed things up.
    > HTH.

    Get Norton Speed (part of Norton Utilities) disk or Diskeeper (or similar) .
    Speed Disk will defrag in about 10 mins. (and do a better job than defrag).
    Diskeeper defrags in the background so if you can live with a small
    additional load on your system you can "set it and forget it" (as their
    advertising says).
    While you are still using defrag, remember to empty your internet cache and
    recycle bin before you run defrag.

    (Warning with Diskeeper, their seems to be a compatibility issue with
    Diskeeper and Window Washer, so if you use Window Washer, you will need to
    switch off Diskeeper while you run it, and exit Window Washer before
    enabling Diskeeper again.)

    ---

    Tim, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Chuck S

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Chuck S said:

    > What makes the windows me version of Defrag faster I wonder ?
    > Chuck

    It's 32bit.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Chuck S

    CarolineX Guest

    Thanks guys for the info. I should have said that I HAVE been running
    diskscan and defrag in SAFE MODE.

    Thanks for the advice about using Windows ME defrag. I HAVE used this
    before, but kept getting freezes and could not determine the problem,
    so went back to my old Win98se defrag. I hadn't realised then that
    the diskscan & defrag was taking so long as I was doing it overnight.
    Yes, WinME version was a lot faster, but as freezing problem was not
    sorted with spyware removal software and I could find no other reason
    (with help from forum) I thought perhaps it was the change of defrag
    program, so went back to old version. I came to this conclusion
    because I watched the progress of a defrag (almost meditative!) using
    the old version and noticed that it was rearranging EACH cluster (not
    blocks as usual) of pale blue (which should be at start of drive) AT
    the start of the drive, ie. clusters were in the right place at the
    start of the drive, but each one was being rearranged as if they
    weren't QUITE in the right place; whereas usually these pale blue
    clusters at the start would be flashed straight past (because they are
    where they should be). Hope I am making sense? This seemed to me to
    indicate that the WinME version had messed it up somehow.

    Anyway, no-one actually confirmed whether or not 7-8 hours of
    maintenance (in safe mode) is normal or not?

    I HAVE to do this maintenance regularly (every 2 days) otherwise I get
    a few seconds freeze on my system, whatever I am doing. The longer I
    leave the maintenance, the longer the freezes last for. I only use
    2-3 programs at once, and mainly just 2. I have 20 running
    processes, but these are almost all McAfee related processes.
    Everything else unnecessary has been disabled.

    Any advice gratefully received. Please ask if you need further
    info/clarification.
    Thanks.

    CarolineX, Oct 1, 2003
  8. Chuck S

    Tim Guest

    CarolineX wrote:

    [snip]

    > Anyway, no-one actually confirmed whether or not 7-8 hours of
    > maintenance (in safe mode) is normal or not?

    To me it seems miles too long. Of course there are all sorts of
    variables... but I would've though that for a partition that was
    defragged only 2 days ago... maybe 15 minutes at the most with
    the Win98 defrag. Having to defrag every 2 days seems very
    unusual too.
    I seem to recall something recently about an out of control
    process in McAfee that was filling disk space and causing all
    sorts of slow downs... maybe your problems are related to this.
    I'd love to help more...but frankly, anything to do with McAfee
    I'd rather steer clear of. They have the most unhelpful support
    I've ever struck, and I'd *almost* rather go unprotected than use
    their antivirus software.

    Tim

    Tim, Oct 1, 2003
  9. Chuck S

    CarolineX Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message news:<FgAeb.5285304$>...
    > CarolineX wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Anyway, no-one actually confirmed whether or not 7-8 hours of
    > > maintenance (in safe mode) is normal or not?

    > To me it seems miles too long. Of course there are all sorts of
    > variables... but I would've though that for a partition that was
    > defragged only 2 days ago... maybe 15 minutes at the most with
    > the Win98 defrag. Having to defrag every 2 days seems very
    > unusual too.
    > I seem to recall something recently about an out of control
    > process in McAfee that was filling disk space and causing all
    > sorts of slow downs... maybe your problems are related to this.
    > I'd love to help more...but frankly, anything to do with McAfee
    > I'd rather steer clear of. They have the most unhelpful support
    > I've ever struck, and I'd *almost* rather go unprotected than use
    > their antivirus software.
    >
    > Tim

    Sorry, I meant that the Diskscan takes 8 hours +, the defrag is only
    about 15-20 mins. In fact I did one again overnight (without
    automatically fixing). The only errors found were, that the time/date
    was wrong in Outlook Express, and could just mean my settings were
    wrong. They weren't wrong, but fixed it anyway. and yes, Tim, I
    agree! McAfee support is terrible. Unfortunately, I missed my
    subscription automatic renewal and now I have it for another year!!
    Out of my 22 running processes, 15 are McAfee! I think they are the
    problem, as I have tried everything else (from advice sought by hours
    of internet research of tech sites)and the problem with freezing for
    few seconds during normal surfing still is happening too (this was my
    main reason for looking into regular maintenance etc).
    Thanks so much anyway.

    CarolineX, Oct 4, 2003