Diskeeper any good?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I was just given a copy of Diskeeper Version: 7.0.393.0 and have installed
    it on a machine (or two). I just ran it on a small (1.2GB) slave drive that
    has a few mpegs on it, around 200MB worth. When it de-fragged it the report
    has about the same amount of space, 200MB or so, tagged as 'reserved system
    space'. WTF is that all about? Does it mean that I'm losing as much space as
    I'm using?

    It also has around 40-oddMB tagged as 'system files'. This is just a disk
    slaved as a data storage disk. I realise this is an old drive and the amount
    of space isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it also reported similar
    results on other, larger drives, albeit less of a percentage of the drive,
    but still a fair whack of storage space.

    Does anyone here use this proggy and is this normal? Is that space unusable
    for anything else? Does that 'reserved system space' exist on drives
    defragged with XPs defrag utility but just isn't shown as such? I don't
    remember seeing a drive I know is less than a quarter full showing up as
    nearly half-full.

    I might just have to stick to XPs defragmenter in fututure. I was under the
    impression that Diskeeper was superior.

    Thanks,

    (anyone getting sick of my incessant questions yet?)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 4, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <i0H5b.137292$>,
    misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    > I was just given a copy of Diskeeper Version: 7.0.393.0 and have installed
    > it on a machine (or two). I just ran it on a small (1.2GB) slave drive that
    > has a few mpegs on it, around 200MB worth. When it de-fragged it the report
    > has about the same amount of space, 200MB or so, tagged as 'reserved system
    > space'. WTF is that all about? Does it mean that I'm losing as much space as
    > I'm using?
    >
    > It also has around 40-oddMB tagged as 'system files'. This is just a disk
    > slaved as a data storage disk. I realise this is an old drive and the amount
    > of space isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it also reported similar
    > results on other, larger drives, albeit less of a percentage of the drive,
    > but still a fair whack of storage space.
    >
    > Does anyone here use this proggy and is this normal? Is that space unusable
    > for anything else? Does that 'reserved system space' exist on drives
    > defragged with XPs defrag utility but just isn't shown as such? I don't
    > remember seeing a drive I know is less than a quarter full showing up as
    > nearly half-full.
    >
    > I might just have to stick to XPs defragmenter in fututure. I was under the
    > impression that Diskeeper was superior.

    Isn't Diskeeper the product that MS have licensed to use in
    their OS's - ie the XP / 2K defrager is a cut down version of
    Diskeeper.

    Even the full product is pretty crappy, IMO.

    Try out PerfectDisk - don't think you'll look back - it's what
    all the folk in the MS hardware NG's seem to like most.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Sep 4, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    Fishb8 Guest

    Hi Misfit
    I've downloaded Diskeeper 8 but haven't installed it yet. Very interesting
    observation. Will wait until I hear some more replies.
    not fed up with your questions, either as they are usually good learning
    opportunities.
    cheers - Roy

    Fishb8, Sep 4, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <bj84jn$vol$>,
    says...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > I was just given a copy of Diskeeper Version: 7.0.393.0 and have
    > > installed it on a machine (or two). I just ran it on a small (1.2GB)
    > > slave drive that has a few mpegs on it, around 200MB worth. When it
    > > de-fragged it the report has about the same amount of space, 200MB or
    > > so, tagged as 'reserved system space'. WTF is that all about? Does it
    > > mean that I'm losing as much space as I'm using?
    > >
    > > It also has around 40-oddMB tagged as 'system files'. This is just a
    > > disk slaved as a data storage disk. I realise this is an old drive
    > > and the amount of space isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it also
    > > reported similar results on other, larger drives, albeit less of a
    > > percentage of the drive, but still a fair whack of storage space.

    > System files include files that are currently open (Such as windows swap
    > files) and files marked "System" with their file attributes. It might even
    > ignore "Read only" files.

    I think it also refers to the MFT ('FAT' for NTFS) - I
    *believe* that Diskeeper (full product) won't move these -
    PerfectDisk can.

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Sep 4, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > I was just given a copy of Diskeeper Version: 7.0.393.0 and have
    > > installed it on a machine (or two). I just ran it on a small (1.2GB)
    > > slave drive that has a few mpegs on it, around 200MB worth. When it
    > > de-fragged it the report has about the same amount of space, 200MB or
    > > so, tagged as 'reserved system space'. WTF is that all about? Does it
    > > mean that I'm losing as much space as I'm using?
    > >
    > > It also has around 40-oddMB tagged as 'system files'. This is just a
    > > disk slaved as a data storage disk. I realise this is an old drive
    > > and the amount of space isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it also
    > > reported similar results on other, larger drives, albeit less of a
    > > percentage of the drive, but still a fair whack of storage space.

    > System files include files that are currently open (Such as windows swap
    > files) and files marked "System" with their file attributes. It might even
    > ignore "Read only" files.

    It has different colour-codes for system files and pagefiles than it has for
    'reserved system space'. There are no pagefiles on the drives/partitions
    I've used it on, they're all on their own partitions.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    The Flash Guest

    You seen MFT space, if you format the drive with say 512b clusters you will
    get more data on it if thats your typical file size.

    Diskeeper is very good, pro version can compact and move the MFT, however MS
    advise not moving the MFT so its at your own risk.

    The main thing is to find you average file size and the when you format from
    NT set you cluster size to this size or smaller.

    The Flash, Sep 8, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "The Flash" <> wrote in message
    > You seen MFT space, if you format the drive with say 512b clusters you

    will
    > get more data on it if thats your typical file size.
    >
    > Diskeeper is very good, pro version can compact and move the MFT, however

    MS
    > advise not moving the MFT so its at your own risk.
    >
    > The main thing is to find you average file size and the when you format

    from
    > NT set you cluster size to this size or smaller.

    Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > I was just given a copy of Diskeeper Version: 7.0.393.0 and have

    installed
    > > it on a machine (or two). I just ran it on a small (1.2GB) slave drive

    > that
    > > has a few mpegs on it, around 200MB worth. When it de-fragged it the

    > report
    > > has about the same amount of space, 200MB or so, tagged as 'reserved

    > system
    > > space'. WTF is that all about? Does it mean that I'm losing as much

    space
    > as
    > > I'm using?
    > >
    > > It also has around 40-oddMB tagged as 'system files'. This is just a

    disk
    > > slaved as a data storage disk. I realise this is an old drive and the

    > amount
    > > of space isn't huge, relatively speaking, but it also reported similar
    > > results on other, larger drives, albeit less of a percentage of the

    drive,
    > > but still a fair whack of storage space.
    > >
    > > Does anyone here use this proggy and is this normal? Is that space

    > unusable
    > > for anything else? Does that 'reserved system space' exist on drives
    > > defragged with XPs defrag utility but just isn't shown as such? I don't
    > > remember seeing a drive I know is less than a quarter full showing up as
    > > nearly half-full.
    > >
    > > I might just have to stick to XPs defragmenter in fututure. I was under

    > the
    > > impression that Diskeeper was superior.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > (anyone getting sick of my incessant questions yet?)
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > > ---

    ---