    Nick Guest

    What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

    Thanks

    Nick, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Nick

    Winged Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?
    >
    > Thanks

    Utility that is typically available from the drive manufacturer. It
    varies depending on mfg and in some cases drive model.

    Winged

    Winged, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Nick wrote:
    > What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXY bs=1M

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:24:28 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >Nick wrote:
    >> What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

    >dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXY bs=1M

    hardly any use on windows, but is it what was traditionally a 'low
    level' format? I think not.

    In the days of MFM disks with two connectors one needed to
    do a low level format and manually enter the bad track map.

    Thats all changed, and is debatable whether one can do a real
    low level format any more, and its worth if you could.

    I welcome suggestions on what to do with my pile of Fujitsu
    MPG320AT drives accumulated with the hope of one day
    returning them to their maker with extreme prejudice.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Jim Watt wrote:

    >>> What do you guys use to do low-level initialization of the hard drives?

    >> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdXY bs=1M

    > hardly any use on windows,

    Windows Services for Unix comes with a dd.exe and /dev/hdX maps to the
    relevant \Device\HarddiskY. Or what about CoLinux?

    Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

    > but is it what was traditionally a 'low level' format? I think not.

    You're right, but this is what a 'low level' format is on today's
    harddrives.

    > Thats all changed, and is debatable whether one can do a real
    > low level format any more, and its worth if you could.

    Oh, with SCSI you can still access the raw blocks directly, including
    spare reserves. On ATA I haven't seen any such commands yet.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:55:23 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

    Bill Gates, and others.

    Anyhow, yesterday I had a buggered up disk and ran
    Spinrite 6 on it which operates under FreeDos and
    today I have a disk that works.

    Possibly thats more general and useful than a 'low level
    format' to recover a disk's functionality and its data.

    see: www.grc.com

    Well worth the modest $89
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:55:23 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    > <> wrote:

    Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

    >> Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

    > Bill Gates, and others.

    Well, so no one you have to care of. A Live Linux System is always the
    best suggestion for such a job.

    > Anyhow, yesterday I had a buggered up disk and ran
    > Spinrite 6 on it which operates under FreeDos and
    > today I have a disk that works.

    Or you could have run fsck or even Windows' chkdsk.

    see <http://www.grcsucks.com>, especially
    <http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm>

    > Well worth the modest $89

    fsck does the same for free without repeating and claiming some
    additional bullshit that can't work anyway

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Nick

    M. Decker Guest

    Old and good:
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Usable methods:

    # QuickErase
    # RCMP TSSIT OPS-II
    # DoD Short
    # DoD 5220-22.M
    # Gutmann Wipe
    # PRNG Stream

    Boot from CD or disc, enter dod, wait for 1-4 hours (depends on your
    system... Speed, hdd size...)

    After this your disc is clean!

    --
    Michael Decker
    TESIS SYSware GmbH http://www.tesis.de

    M. Decker, Apr 6, 2006
  9. On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:27:54 +0200, while shoving live gerbils
    down the front of his polyester leisure suit pants, Sebastian Gottschalk
    giggled and submitted the following statements in ASCII text format to the
    Usenet Newsgroup alt.computer.security, in the thread "Re: disk wiping":

    > Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

    No.

    By the way, why did you flee the thread regarding GDI+ vulnerabilities?

    Can you explain your glaring lack of knowledge of packet filters?

    Are you still operating under the false assumption that the Gaobot worm
    and it's variants are root kits?

    Do you suppose this sort of juvenile behavior has something to do with the
    fact that you've been kicked out of every forum you've ever tried to
    participate in?

    >>> Anyway, who said that Windows is the tool of choice?

    >> Bill Gates, and others.

    > Well, so no one you have to care of. A Live Linux System is always the
    > best suggestion for such a job.

    No, not always. Especially not when dealing with HPFS partitions. The
    specific "advice" you gave could easily destroy such file systems. IF you
    manage to gain R/W access at all that is.

    What's that...... strike 11 or 12 now?

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:27:54 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

    No, its not 'bloated' its the default introduction generated by
    Agent - a popular and excellent newsreader and identifies the
    source of the rubbish you have posted.

    >A Live Linux System is always the best suggestion for such a job.

    So you say, but I've been dealing with hard disk problems
    since they came on a 13" platter and have managed without linux.

    >fsck does the same for free without repeating and claiming some
    >additional bullshit that can't work anyway

    Hello? is there anyone there? this is not Linux and its
    not a Linux file system and fsck does NOT 'do the same thing'.

    Perhaps you should try Spinright instead of talking out of
    your arse.

    Anyhow, in answer to the original poster for disk wiping a format
    program is not the right solution, even if a suitable 'low level' one
    were available.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 6, 2006
  11. Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:27:54 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Could you please shorten your bloated introduction?

    > No, its not 'bloated' its the default introduction generated by
    > Agent - a popular and excellent newsreader and identifies the
    > source of the rubbish you have posted.

    Outlook Express is too, yet it's bloated.

    At first, it's called an introduction _line_ and not _lines_. For the
    second, all those information can be easily retrieved through following
    the reference in the References header. Last but not least anything
    except _either_ the poster _or_ his eMail address are totally
    unimportant for the context, so there's no need to post any other
    information.

    >> A Live Linux System is always the best suggestion for such a job.

    > So you say, but I've been dealing with hard disk problems
    > since they came on a 13" platter and have managed without linux.

    There have been times when certain DOSes were useful as well.

    >> fsck does the same for free without repeating and claiming some
    >> additional bullshit that can't work anyway

    > Hello? is there anyone there? this is not Linux and its
    > not a Linux file system and fsck does NOT 'do the same thing'.

    It does, just RTFM.

    > Perhaps you should try Spinright instead of talking out of
    > your arse.

    I do know Spinrite and it is nothing but fsck or chkdsk plus a lot of
    bullshit.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 6, 2006
  12. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:35:34 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I do know Spinrite and it is nothing but fsck or chkdsk plus a lot of
    >bullshit.

    So you say, but you are full of shit.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 6, 2006
  13. In a never ending quest to expel noxious vapors in as wide an
    area as possible, "Sebastian Gottschalk" <> spewed the
    following to alt.computer.security on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 at 19:35:34 +0200:

    > At first, it's called an introduction _line_ and not _lines_. For the

    Wrong!

    It's called an _attribution_, and the number of lines is not specific.

    http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#quoting

    >>> fsck does the same for free without repeating and claiming some
    >>> additional bullshit that can't work anyway

    >> Hello? is there anyone there? this is not Linux and its not a Linux
    >> file system and fsck does NOT 'do the same thing'.

    > It does, just RTFM.

    No it does not. I have. And fsck doesn't even APPLY to HPFS file systems.

    George Orwell, Apr 6, 2006
  14. Jim Watt wrote:

    >> I do know Spinrite and it is nothing but fsck or chkdsk plus a lot of
    >> bullshit.

    > So you say, but you are full of shit.

    Can't be, have been on toilet recently... but might take a short read of
    <http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm> to understand that Spinrite
    effectively is a lot of mambo-jambo built around some standard routines.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 6, 2006
  15. Nick

    who? Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:47:54 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >>> I do know Spinrite and it is nothing but fsck or chkdsk plus a lot of
    >>> bullshit.

    >> So you say, but you are full of shit.

    > Can't be, have been on toilet recently... but might take a short read of
    > <http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm> to understand that Spinrite
    > effectively is a lot of mambo-jambo built around some standard routines.

    when was that page written?

    who?, Apr 6, 2006
  16. who? wrote:

    >>> So you say, but you are full of shit.

    >> Can't be, have been on toilet recently... but might take a short read of
    >> <http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm> to understand that Spinrite
    >> effectively is a lot of mambo-jambo built around some standard routines.

    > when was that page written?

    Feb 26 2000

    And when was Spinrite rewritten to remove the bullshit?
    I've taken a look at version 6 and about nothing has been changed
    according to the feature set (except now it does recognize NTFS
    partitions, but still doesn't allow write access).

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 6, 2006
  17. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 23:26:13 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >And when was Spinrite rewritten to remove the bullshit?

    Version 5 was good, but did not address NTFS which 6 does and
    was a free upgrade on my V5

    Looking at the site I see SpinRite v6.0 can be used to repair and
    recover Linux, Apple Macintosh and Tivo hard drives

    Not that I have any, but its earnt its keep, and should you be able to
    write a better program, let me know.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 7, 2006
  18. Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >>> I do know Spinrite and it is nothing but fsck or chkdsk plus a lot of
    >>> bullshit.

    >> So you say, but you are full of shit.

    > Can't be, have been on toilet recently...

    Drinking out of train station urinals doesn't count.

    > but might take a short read of
    > <http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm> to understand that Spinrite
    > effectively is a lot of mambo-jambo built around some standard routines.

    Yeah, Gibson's a twat and Spinrite sucks.

    But it's STILL not the same thing as fsck. Sorry.

    George Orwell, Apr 7, 2006
  19. Nick

    who? Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 23:26:13 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > who? wrote:

    >>> Can't be, have been on toilet recently... but might take a short read of
    >>> <http://www.grcsucks.com/spinrite.htm> to understand that Spinrite
    >>> effectively is a lot of mambo-jambo built around some standard routines.

    >> when was that page written?

    > Feb 26 2000
    >
    > And when was Spinrite rewritten to remove the bullshit?

    If it is truly /that/ bad then I am surprised that it can provide the
    income to support Gibson and his hobbies. There seems to be an awful lot
    of satisfied customers who need to be convinced otherwise.

    who?, Apr 8, 2006
  20. who? wrote:

    >> And when was Spinrite rewritten to remove the bullshit?

    > If it is truly /that/ bad then I am surprised that it can provide the
    > income to support Gibson and his hobbies. There seems to be an awful lot
    > of satisfied customers who need to be convinced otherwise.

    The same is true for a lot of so-called "Memory Optimizers". O&O
    Software even has created a study claiming that it would actually work!

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 8, 2006