Disk wiping software

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Greene, Jan 27, 2010.

  1. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    the disk free space?

    I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 27, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    > the disk free space?


    DBAN.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ray Greene

    Matty F Guest

    On Jan 27, 10:41 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    > > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    > > the disk free space?

    >
    > DBAN.


    I think he wants to keep the non-deleted files :)
    Matty F, Jan 27, 2010
    #3
  4. Ray Greene

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    > the disk free space?
    >
    > I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene


    Did you try this one?
    http://eraser.heidi.ie/
    Craig Sutton, Jan 27, 2010
    #4
  5. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 02:52:32 -0800 (PST), Matty F
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 27, 10:41 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >> > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >> > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    >> > the disk free space?

    >>
    >> DBAN.

    >
    >I think he wants to keep the non-deleted files :)


    Exactly...

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 27, 2010
    #5
  6. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:20 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >> overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    >> the disk free space?
    >>
    >> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ray Greene

    >
    >Did you try this one?
    >http://eraser.heidi.ie/


    Yes, it's what I normally use but I discovered that file names can
    still be recovered even if the files are unrecoverable.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 27, 2010
    #6
  7. Ray Greene

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    >
    > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    > the disk free space?
    >
    > I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.


    Prolly can't go past Sdelete...

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals/bb897443(en-us).aspx

    The JKDefrag GUI (including the new version) also implements a safe
    delete ("wipe") function...

    http://www.emro.nl/freeware/


    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 27, 2010
    #7
  8. Ray Greene

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:50:45 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:20 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >>> overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    >>> the disk free space?
    >>>
    >>> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ray Greene

    >>
    >>Did you try this one?
    >>http://eraser.heidi.ie/

    >
    > Yes, it's what I normally use but I discovered that file names can still
    > be recovered even if the files are unrecoverable.


    I'm curious to know what sort of information would be so very sensitive that it is not sufficient for even
    the name of the file to remain undeleted on an active currently used HDD.

    I mean, its not like the disc is being disposed of, in which case I can understand why a forensic erasure
    of information would want to be undertaken.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 27, 2010
    #8
  9. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    > the disk free space?
    >
    > I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >

    Ray, would a work-around work? How about backing up the required files,
    wiping the disk completely and restoring the files work?

    I'd use 'dd' from Unix to wipe the disk but there are Windows programs
    to do it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 27, 2010
    #9
  10. Ray Greene

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:19:19 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:00:02 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:50:45 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:20 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>>>news:...
    >>>>> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >>>>> overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as
    >>>>> overwriting the disk free space?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> Ray Greene
    >>>>
    >>>>Did you try this one?
    >>>>http://eraser.heidi.ie/
    >>>
    >>> Yes, it's what I normally use but I discovered that file names can
    >>> still be recovered even if the files are unrecoverable.

    >>
    >>I'm curious to know what sort of information would be so very sensitive
    >>that it is not sufficient for even the name of the file to remain
    >>undeleted on an active currently used HDD.
    >>
    >>I mean, its not like the disc is being disposed of, in which case I can
    >>understand why a forensic erasure of information would want to be
    >>undertaken.

    >
    > Imagine there was a file named "Top 10 reasons I wanna sack Joe
    > Bloggs.doc" on the managers PC, which is being given to Joe to use after
    > the boss has upgraded to a new PC...


    Why, or even how, would an employee be using the same profile as the manager? Shouldn't they each
    have their own login?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 27, 2010
    #10
  11. In message <>, Matty F wrote:

    > On Jan 27, 10:41 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Ray Greene
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >> > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    >> > the disk free space?

    >>
    >> DBAN.

    >
    > I think he wants to keep the non-deleted files :)


    Well, no one has yet come up with a better alternative.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2010
    #11
  12. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:31:39 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:19:19 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:00:02 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:50:45 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:20 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>news:...
    >>>>>> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >>>>>> overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as
    >>>>>> overwriting the disk free space?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> --
    >>>>>> Ray Greene
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Did you try this one?
    >>>>>http://eraser.heidi.ie/
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes, it's what I normally use but I discovered that file names can
    >>>> still be recovered even if the files are unrecoverable.
    >>>
    >>>I'm curious to know what sort of information would be so very sensitive
    >>>that it is not sufficient for even the name of the file to remain
    >>>undeleted on an active currently used HDD.
    >>>
    >>>I mean, its not like the disc is being disposed of, in which case I can
    >>>understand why a forensic erasure of information would want to be
    >>>undertaken.

    >>
    >> Imagine there was a file named "Top 10 reasons I wanna sack Joe
    >> Bloggs.doc" on the managers PC, which is being given to Joe to use after
    >> the boss has upgraded to a new PC...

    >
    >Why, or even how, would an employee be using the same profile as the manager? Shouldn't they each
    >have their own login?


    Of course, but if the file was deleted it wouldn't matter anyway.
    The thing is, the user could get curious and run file recovery software from
    a CD or USB stick and see the file name. That would be bad.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 28, 2010
    #12
  13. Ray Greene

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    > overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    > the disk free space?
    >
    > I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene


    Ray

    The latest version of Eraser 'might' wipe your file name directory as there
    has been discussion about it.
    See http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/ticket/54

    Seems to me the only 'safe' option though is to wipe the drive completely
    and reinstall the OS & Apps before passing the PC on.
    In fact for a HD used in a sensitive environment I would think it good
    company policy to do so.

    dd has been mentioned and is generally regarded as wiping pretty well
    'everything' off a drive.
    An alternative is HDD Erase that uses the secure erase facility built into
    most drives 20GB and bigger.
    http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml
    There are some excellent doc's on that site about data erasure.
    HDD Erase is built into UBCD as 'one' of the disk wiping tools.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 28, 2010
    #13
  14. In message <hjqlnf$j99$>, PeeCee wrote:

    > dd has been mentioned and is generally regarded as wiping pretty well
    > 'everything' off a drive.


    You also have the choice of writing zeroes versus random data:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=<target disk>
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=<target disk>

    (Or /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom, but that will probably slow things
    down too much.)

    I think you should also specify a blocksize to speed things up, e.g.

    bs=65536
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2010
    #14
  15. Ray Greene

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 28, 2:19 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <hjqlnf$>, PeeCee wrote:
    >
    > > dd has been mentioned and is generally regarded as wiping pretty well
    > > 'everything' off a drive.

    >
    > You also have the choice of writing zeroes versus random data:
    >
    >    dd if=/dev/zero of=<target disk>
    >    dd if=/dev/urandom of=<target disk>
    >
    > (Or /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom, but that will probably slow things
    > down too much.)
    >
    > I think you should also specify a blocksize to speed things up, e.g.
    >
    >     bs=65536


    Our own Peter Gutmann has done some work on disk wiping methods -
    there's some links at the end of this article that might we worth a
    look:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method
    JohnO, Jan 28, 2010
    #15
  16. Ray Greene

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:04:37 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > Of course, but if the file was deleted it wouldn't matter anyway. The
    > thing is, the user could get curious and run file recovery software
    > from a CD or USB stick and see the file name. That would be bad.


    In a business environment what is the likelihood of an employee doing that to a work computer just to
    see the names of files?

    Sorry but it really seems to be rather seriously overkill to me. :)


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 28, 2010
    #16
  17. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:00:02 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:50:45 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:20 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that
    >>>>> will overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well
    >>>>> as overwriting the disk free space?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names
    >>>>> intact.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> -- Ray Greene
    >>>> Did you try this one? http://eraser.heidi.ie/
    >>> Yes, it's what I normally use but I discovered that file names
    >>> can still be recovered even if the files are unrecoverable.

    >> I'm curious to know what sort of information would be so very
    >> sensitive that it is not sufficient for even the name of the file
    >> to remain undeleted on an active currently used HDD.
    >>
    >> I mean, its not like the disc is being disposed of, in which case I
    >> can understand why a forensic erasure of information would want to
    >> be undertaken.

    >
    > Imagine there was a file named "Top 10 reasons I wanna sack Joe
    > Bloggs.doc" on the managers PC, which is being given to Joe to use
    > after the boss has upgraded to a new PC...
    >
    > Some users practically write an essay when they're naming files and
    > folders. It even screws up backups with some software when the path
    > gets too long. There was something to be said for the good old 8.3
    > DOS file names :)
    >

    I'd wipe the PC completely, but you want to save some files....

    BTW I've no prurient interest in why you want to do this. I suspect that
    Lennier thinks that you are trying to hide porn or something.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 28, 2010
    #17
  18. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:04:37 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> Of course, but if the file was deleted it wouldn't matter anyway.
    >> The thing is, the user could get curious and run file recovery
    >> software from a CD or USB stick and see the file name. That would
    >> be bad.

    >
    > In a business environment what is the likelihood of an employee doing
    > that to a work computer just to see the names of files?
    >
    > Sorry but it really seems to be rather seriously overkill to me. :)
    >

    If he knew that the boss, who he doesn't get along with, has had that
    PC? Pretty high I'd say.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 28, 2010
    #18
  19. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:44:39 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:00:02 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:50:45 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:20 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that
    >>>>>> will overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well
    >>>>>> as overwriting the disk free space?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names
    >>>>>> intact.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> -- Ray Greene
    >>>>> Did you try this one? http://eraser.heidi.ie/
    >>>> Yes, it's what I normally use but I discovered that file names
    >>>> can still be recovered even if the files are unrecoverable.
    >>> I'm curious to know what sort of information would be so very
    >>> sensitive that it is not sufficient for even the name of the file
    >>> to remain undeleted on an active currently used HDD.
    >>>
    >>> I mean, its not like the disc is being disposed of, in which case I
    >>> can understand why a forensic erasure of information would want to
    >>> be undertaken.

    >>
    >> Imagine there was a file named "Top 10 reasons I wanna sack Joe
    >> Bloggs.doc" on the managers PC, which is being given to Joe to use
    >> after the boss has upgraded to a new PC...
    >>
    >> Some users practically write an essay when they're naming files and
    >> folders. It even screws up backups with some software when the path
    >> gets too long. There was something to be said for the good old 8.3
    >> DOS file names :)
    >>

    >I'd wipe the PC completely, but you want to save some files....
    >
    >BTW I've no prurient interest in why you want to do this. I suspect that
    >Lennier thinks that you are trying to hide porn or something.
    >

    Ah, I didn't recognise his latest name.

    We have system images of all our workstations but not this particular
    machine. I want to leave it in running order but it needs to be secure
    and it's not worth spending any time on. Some jobs just aren't worth
    the effort...

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 28, 2010
    #19
  20. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:28:26 +1300, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Does anyone know of any disk wiping software for Windows that will
    >> overwrite the names of previously deleted files as well as overwriting
    >> the disk free space?
    >>
    >> I've tried a few but they all leave the deleted file names intact.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ray Greene

    >
    >Ray
    >
    >The latest version of Eraser 'might' wipe your file name directory as there
    >has been discussion about it.
    >See http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/ticket/54


    I tried the latest version, but on top of the indignity of installing
    ..Net on my computer it still didn't wipe the file names.

    >Seems to me the only 'safe' option though is to wipe the drive completely
    >and reinstall the OS & Apps before passing the PC on.
    >In fact for a HD used in a sensitive environment I would think it good
    >company policy to do so.


    I think I'll do that. I've already wasted almost as much time trying
    to do the job quickly as it would have taken to do it this way.

    >dd has been mentioned and is generally regarded as wiping pretty well
    >'everything' off a drive.
    >An alternative is HDD Erase that uses the secure erase facility built into
    >most drives 20GB and bigger.
    >http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml
    >There are some excellent doc's on that site about data erasure.
    >HDD Erase is built into UBCD as 'one' of the disk wiping tools.
    >http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    >

    I've downloaded it, thanks.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Jan 28, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nick

    disk wiping

    Nick, Apr 5, 2006, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    1,298
    Jim Watt
    Apr 9, 2006
  2. - Bobb -
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    400
    - Bobb -
    Apr 16, 2006
  3. Trevor
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    449
    Trevor
    Dec 30, 2007
  4. BoaterDave

    Re: Newfangled rootkits survive hard disk wiping

    BoaterDave, Apr 1, 2009, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,047
    BoaterDave
    Apr 7, 2009
  5. Sam Jones

    Re: Newfangled rootkits survive hard disk wiping

    Sam Jones, Apr 7, 2009, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    523
    Sam Jones
    Apr 7, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page