Disk Read Error!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kamrad, Aug 13, 2009.

  1. Kamrad

    Kamrad Guest

    I know there are already a few threads about this, but I seriously need help,
    as it's way more stuffed up than it started out to be.

    OK, so earlier today I got Windows XP Professional x64.
    I tried first installing it on my brothers computer (previously had Windows
    7 x64 installed). So my brother backed-up all he needed, I restarted the
    computer, hit enter on the boot disk option, waited for everything to load,
    selected install, deleted his previous partition, and made a clean install on
    a new partition. The installation was fine. Once it had finished, the
    computer restarted (as normal) then once it got to the boot disk command, it
    read "DISK READ ERROR", though I could still boot the disk, making it
    possible to re-do everything again (fresh install, and whatever) also to
    repair. First off I tried to repair, obviously I had never tried repairing a
    computer before, as I had never needed to, so I was left not knowing what the
    ____ I had to do in the command menu.
    So I just restarted the computer, done a fresh install half a several times,
    every time the disk boot error appeared. So I came onto my computer (the one
    I'm using right now) and searched up this error, and found this site. Though
    I was looking through old threads (not realising) and tried out some of the
    things other people have suggested.
    So what I did then was change the jumpers at the back of the hard drive and
    DVD drive, setting my hard drive as master and DVD drive as slave. I then
    turned the computer back on, same thing happened. moved them around a little
    bit, hoping it will make a difference. Still no change.
    I'm not sure what exactly triggered this, but the next time I turned the
    computer on, it came up with the same error, but modified, saying "DISK BOOT
    FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I figured they meant system
    disk by the Windows XP disk (Probably not that disk), so I tried that, no
    change, I tried another disk, still no change.
    I read some other suggestions, someone said it may be the IDE/SATA cable, so
    I changed the IDE cable for a new one, still comes up with the same error.

    Can someone please help! I hope I didn't make it any worse :(
     
    Kamrad, Aug 13, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Did you check the boot order in the BIOS? I had a similar situation
    several months ago; reinstalled a couple of times with the same error as
    you; finally looked in the BIOS and discovered the boot order has
    changed - but not by me.


    Kamrad wrote:
    > I know there are already a few threads about this, but I seriously need help,
    > as it's way more stuffed up than it started out to be.
    >
    > OK, so earlier today I got Windows XP Professional x64.
    > I tried first installing it on my brothers computer (previously had Windows
    > 7 x64 installed). So my brother backed-up all he needed, I restarted the
    > computer, hit enter on the boot disk option, waited for everything to load,
    > selected install, deleted his previous partition, and made a clean install on
    > a new partition. The installation was fine. Once it had finished, the
    > computer restarted (as normal) then once it got to the boot disk command, it
    > read "DISK READ ERROR", though I could still boot the disk, making it
    > possible to re-do everything again (fresh install, and whatever) also to
    > repair. First off I tried to repair, obviously I had never tried repairing a
    > computer before, as I had never needed to, so I was left not knowing what the
    > ____ I had to do in the command menu.
    > So I just restarted the computer, done a fresh install half a several times,
    > every time the disk boot error appeared. So I came onto my computer (the one
    > I'm using right now) and searched up this error, and found this site. Though
    > I was looking through old threads (not realising) and tried out some of the
    > things other people have suggested.
    > So what I did then was change the jumpers at the back of the hard drive and
    > DVD drive, setting my hard drive as master and DVD drive as slave. I then
    > turned the computer back on, same thing happened. moved them around a little
    > bit, hoping it will make a difference. Still no change.
    > I'm not sure what exactly triggered this, but the next time I turned the
    > computer on, it came up with the same error, but modified, saying "DISK BOOT
    > FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I figured they meant system
    > disk by the Windows XP disk (Probably not that disk), so I tried that, no
    > change, I tried another disk, still no change.
    > I read some other suggestions, someone said it may be the IDE/SATA cable, so
    > I changed the IDE cable for a new one, still comes up with the same error.
    >
    > Can someone please help! I hope I didn't make it any worse :(
     
    Bobby Johnson, Aug 13, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Kamrad

    Kamrad Guest

    "Bobby Johnson" wrote:

    > Did you check the boot order in the BIOS? I had a similar situation
    > several months ago; reinstalled a couple of times with the same error as
    > you; finally looked in the BIOS and discovered the boot order has
    > changed - but not by me.


    My boot order is:
    1. CD/DVD
    2. HDD
    3. HDD
     
    Kamrad, Aug 13, 2009
    #3
  4. Kamrad

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Make sure that "2.HD" corresponds to the hard disk where you have Windows
    installed.
    Most likely scenario here is that your Windows resides in "3.HD", so BIOS
    attempts to boot from the non-Windows disk first and fails.
    Carlos

    "Kamrad" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you check the boot order in the BIOS? I had a similar situation
    > > several months ago; reinstalled a couple of times with the same error as
    > > you; finally looked in the BIOS and discovered the boot order has
    > > changed - but not by me.

    >
    > My boot order is:
    > 1. CD/DVD
    > 2. HDD
    > 3. HDD
     
    Carlos, Aug 13, 2009
    #4
  5. Kamrad

    Kamrad Guest

    "Carlos" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Make sure that "2.HD" corresponds to the hard disk where you have Windows
    > installed.
    > Most likely scenario here is that your Windows resides in "3.HD", so BIOS
    > attempts to boot from the non-Windows disk first and fails.
    > Carlos


    I only have one Hard Disk. I thought it wouldn't matter if I chucked the
    same one on as #3, I just done it to fill it up.
     
    Kamrad, Aug 13, 2009
    #5
  6. Kamrad

    R. C. White Guest

    HI, Kamrad.

    > I only have one Hard Disk. I thought it wouldn't matter if I chucked the
    > same one on as #3, I just done it to fill it up.


    "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" :^{

    In addition to "fooling" your BIOS...what kind of HDDs are these? SATA?
    WinXP x64 probably needs specific drivers loaded from floppy after you press
    <F6> very early in Setup. Win7 probably has those drivers built in; it's 8
    years newer than WinXP.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    "Kamrad" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "Carlos" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Make sure that "2.HD" corresponds to the hard disk where you have Windows
    >> installed.
    >> Most likely scenario here is that your Windows resides in "3.HD", so BIOS
    >> attempts to boot from the non-Windows disk first and fails.
    >> Carlos

    >
    > I only have one Hard Disk. I thought it wouldn't matter if I chucked the
    > same one on as #3, I just done it to fill it up.
     
    R. C. White, Aug 13, 2009
    #6
  7. Kamrad

    Kamrad Guest

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > HI, Kamrad.
    >
    > > I only have one Hard Disk. I thought it wouldn't matter if I chucked the
    > > same one on as #3, I just done it to fill it up.

    >
    > "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" :^{
    >
    > In addition to "fooling" your BIOS...what kind of HDDs are these? SATA?
    > WinXP x64 probably needs specific drivers loaded from floppy after you press
    > <F6> very early in Setup. Win7 probably has those drivers built in; it's 8
    > years newer than WinXP.


    I have one IDE HDD.
     
    Kamrad, Aug 13, 2009
    #7
  8. Since you have only one HDD don't designate a 2nd one in your boot sequence.

    Just for the heck of put your HDD as 1st boot and see if that makes any
    difference.


    Kamrad wrote:
    >
    > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you check the boot order in the BIOS? I had a similar situation
    >> several months ago; reinstalled a couple of times with the same error as
    >> you; finally looked in the BIOS and discovered the boot order has
    >> changed - but not by me.

    >
    > My boot order is:
    > 1. CD/DVD
    > 2. HDD
    > 3. HDD
     
    Bobby Johnson, Aug 13, 2009
    #8
  9. And remove ANY USB devices with the only exceptions being keyboard and/or
    mouse. Do NOT boot with anything else plugged in to a USB port.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel



    "Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Since you have only one HDD don't designate a 2nd one in your boot
    > sequence.
    >
    > Just for the heck of put your HDD as 1st boot and see if that makes any
    > difference.
    >
    >
    > Kamrad wrote:
    >>
    >> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Did you check the boot order in the BIOS? I had a similar situation
    >>> several months ago; reinstalled a couple of times with the same error as
    >>> you; finally looked in the BIOS and discovered the boot order has
    >>> changed - but not by me.

    >>
    >> My boot order is:
    >> 1. CD/DVD
    >> 2. HDD
    >> 3. HDD
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2009
    #9
  10. Kamrad

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    OK, we are going back to fundamentals.

    With the computer off and unplugged:

    Unplug both ends of the ribbon cable. It should be an 80-conductor ribbon
    cable with three connectors. There is one at each end and another between
    them. This connector is closer to one end. The end connector that is the
    furthest from it usually is used for the motherboard end.

    Carefully inspect the male connector on the drive. Make sure there are no
    bent pins. If there are, carefully straighten them. (Small needle-nose
    pliers usually work well). Similarly, check the connector on the
    motherboard.

    Take the HD out carefully avoiding handling the circuit board. Check the
    jumper on the HD (again); make sure the jumper is set for MA (master) and
    that the jumper is properly engaging the two pins on the drive.

    Replace the HD in the case. Carefully insert the appropriate end connector
    into the drive plug. Similarly, insert the other end into the motherboard
    connector. Note that the DVD/CD drive is not connected yet. Connect the
    appropriate power MOLEX plug. Observe proper polarity.

    Take another ribbon cable. It should be a 40-conductor ribbon cable. Inspect
    the back of your DVD/CD unit and assure that the jumper is set for MA
    (master). Check the motherboard connector and drive connector for bent pins.
    Repair any found. Carefully insert the plugs into the motherboard and drive.
    Attach the power MOLEX connector. Observe proper polarity.

    If there is a floppy drive, make sure there is no floppy in the drive. Make
    sure there is nothing plugged into USB connectors except possibly a keyboard
    and mouse. If possible, use a PS/2-connected keyboard and mouse instead.

    Make sure there is no disk in the DVD/CD. Plug the computer into power. Turn
    it on.

    Enter the BIOS on startup and check the boot order and boot devices. Assure
    that the DVD/CD is set to be first, and the HD is set to be second and that
    there are either no other entries or that they are set to "None Installed"
    or similar wording. Save settings and exit.

    Put the Windows XP CD in the drive and boot. Use the disk management
    facilities to delete any and all partitions on the drive. Restart the
    machine. Install XP to the HD.

    Let us know.

    Tom Ferguson


    "Kamrad" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I know there are already a few threads about this, but I seriously need
    >help,
    > as it's way more stuffed up than it started out to be.
    >
    > OK, so earlier today I got Windows XP Professional x64.
    > I tried first installing it on my brothers computer (previously had
    > Windows
    > 7 x64 installed). So my brother backed-up all he needed, I restarted the
    > computer, hit enter on the boot disk option, waited for everything to
    > load,
    > selected install, deleted his previous partition, and made a clean install
    > on
    > a new partition. The installation was fine. Once it had finished, the
    > computer restarted (as normal) then once it got to the boot disk command,
    > it
    > read "DISK READ ERROR", though I could still boot the disk, making it
    > possible to re-do everything again (fresh install, and whatever) also to
    > repair. First off I tried to repair, obviously I had never tried repairing
    > a
    > computer before, as I had never needed to, so I was left not knowing what
    > the
    > ____ I had to do in the command menu.
    > So I just restarted the computer, done a fresh install half a several
    > times,
    > every time the disk boot error appeared. So I came onto my computer (the
    > one
    > I'm using right now) and searched up this error, and found this site.
    > Though
    > I was looking through old threads (not realising) and tried out some of
    > the
    > things other people have suggested.
    > So what I did then was change the jumpers at the back of the hard drive
    > and
    > DVD drive, setting my hard drive as master and DVD drive as slave. I then
    > turned the computer back on, same thing happened. moved them around a
    > little
    > bit, hoping it will make a difference. Still no change.
    > I'm not sure what exactly triggered this, but the next time I turned the
    > computer on, it came up with the same error, but modified, saying "DISK
    > BOOT
    > FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I figured they meant system
    > disk by the Windows XP disk (Probably not that disk), so I tried that, no
    > change, I tried another disk, still no change.
    > I read some other suggestions, someone said it may be the IDE/SATA cable,
    > so
    > I changed the IDE cable for a new one, still comes up with the same error.
    >
    > Can someone please help! I hope I didn't make it any worse :(
     
    Tom Ferguson, Aug 13, 2009
    #10
  11. Kamrad

    Kamrad Guest

    "Tom Ferguson" wrote:

    > OK, we are going back to fundamentals.
    >
    > With the computer off and unplugged:
    >
    > Unplug both ends of the ribbon cable. It should be an 80-conductor ribbon
    > cable with three connectors. There is one at each end and another between
    > them. This connector is closer to one end. The end connector that is the
    > furthest from it usually is used for the motherboard end.
    >
    > Carefully inspect the male connector on the drive. Make sure there are no
    > bent pins. If there are, carefully straighten them. (Small needle-nose
    > pliers usually work well). Similarly, check the connector on the
    > motherboard.
    >
    > Take the HD out carefully avoiding handling the circuit board. Check the
    > jumper on the HD (again); make sure the jumper is set for MA (master) and
    > that the jumper is properly engaging the two pins on the drive.
    >
    > Replace the HD in the case. Carefully insert the appropriate end connector
    > into the drive plug. Similarly, insert the other end into the motherboard
    > connector. Note that the DVD/CD drive is not connected yet. Connect the
    > appropriate power MOLEX plug. Observe proper polarity.
    >
    > Take another ribbon cable. It should be a 40-conductor ribbon cable. Inspect
    > the back of your DVD/CD unit and assure that the jumper is set for MA
    > (master). Check the motherboard connector and drive connector for bent pins.
    > Repair any found. Carefully insert the plugs into the motherboard and drive.
    > Attach the power MOLEX connector. Observe proper polarity.
    >
    > If there is a floppy drive, make sure there is no floppy in the drive. Make
    > sure there is nothing plugged into USB connectors except possibly a keyboard
    > and mouse. If possible, use a PS/2-connected keyboard and mouse instead.
    >
    > Make sure there is no disk in the DVD/CD. Plug the computer into power. Turn
    > it on.
    >
    > Enter the BIOS on startup and check the boot order and boot devices. Assure
    > that the DVD/CD is set to be first, and the HD is set to be second and that
    > there are either no other entries or that they are set to "None Installed"
    > or similar wording. Save settings and exit.
    >
    > Put the Windows XP CD in the drive and boot. Use the disk management
    > facilities to delete any and all partitions on the drive. Restart the
    > machine. Install XP to the HD.
    >
    > Let us know.
    >
    > Tom Ferguson



    Thanks Tom.

    Almost finished. I'm just not sure when you said "delete any and all
    partitions" does that also include partition1 system rese?
     
    Kamrad, Aug 14, 2009
    #11
  12. Kamrad

    Kamrad Guest

    Thank you Tom so much for helping!
    It's working now :]
     
    Kamrad, Aug 14, 2009
    #12
  13. Kamrad

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Great!

    Tom


    "Kamrad" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thank you Tom so much for helping!
    > It's working now :]
     
    Tom Ferguson, Aug 14, 2009
    #13
  14. Kamrad

    Ridiska Guest

    Hi, I'm having the same problem and going by Tom's advise. We will see what
    happens, if this works. I built a new system and installed windows 7 ultimate
    it worked well but I decided to install xp, I know it better and all programs
    work, better compability............ wounding up with the same disk read
    arror crap problem and trying tom's advice now. I'll tell if it solved the
    problem:)

    "Tom Ferguson" wrote:

    > Great!
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >
    > "Kamrad" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Thank you Tom so much for helping!
    > > It's working now :]

    >
    >
     
    Ridiska, Sep 12, 2009
    #14
  15. Kamrad

    Ridiska Guest

    Tom you're amazing, YOU ROCK!!! It worked - solved!!! If any one has this
    problem try it 100% satisfaction. :) :) :)

    "Tom Ferguson" wrote:

    > Great!
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >
    > "Kamrad" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Thank you Tom so much for helping!
    > > It's working now :]

    >
    >
     
    Ridiska, Sep 12, 2009
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mara

    Re: CD RW Disk Read Error

    Mara, Jul 17, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    476
  2. Brian H¹©

    Re: CD RW Disk Read Error

    Brian H¹©, Jul 17, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,803
    Brian H¹©
    Jul 17, 2003
  3. wyldalee
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    33,146
    GTA11
    Jul 26, 2008
  4. HELP

    A disk read error has occurred

    HELP, Nov 13, 2006, in forum: Hardware
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,033
  5. dashie
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    619
    dashie
    Sep 12, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page