disk partition questions.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Golf Nut, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Golf Nut

    Golf Nut Guest

    I have a compaq deskpro desktop pc with 2 hard disks 10G and 80G dual o/s xp
    and 2000. XP on the 10G and win2000 on the 80G.
    I bought a new maxtor 250G HD and connected it to the system. Created 4
    partitions using xp (50/50/100/REST). Made all of them primary. You can do
    that at the OS level.
    I backed up all my data on the 100G partition.

    My plan was the follows.

    1. Partition the 10G disk to 4/2/4. This i did after booting 2000.
    2. Install win2000 on par 1 of the 10G disk.
    3. Install xp on the par 1 of the 250G disk
    4. Install linux on the par 2 of the 250G disk and use par 2 of the 10G disk
    as swap.
    5. Not use the 80G disk.

    Problems:
    During the first installation of win2000, everything would go well till the
    first reboot. It would just hang at booting from hard disk. I probably did
    not have the 10G disk as the master disk in the primary controller. I think
    even after making it the master, it did not work.
    I used fdisk and made par1 active and that did it.
    I used fdisk to see the partitions of the 250G disk and it was all gibbresh.
    I did see 4 partitions though.
    Now I have data sitting in partiton 3 of the 250G whhich i dont want to
    lose.

    Questions:

    1. Should i use fdisk to fix the 10G disk and create primary and extended
    partions? Primary 4G.
    Extended 6G with two logical drives(2 and 4). Will I be able to use that 2G
    partition for swap in linux.
    2. Should I use fdisk on the 250G disk to make the partition 1 of the disk
    active? I am concerned about the data sitting in partiton 3. How else can i
    make sure I can boot xp from partition 1 of the 250G disk.?
    3. I will be using the 250G disk mostly as I will be booting xp /linux
    mostly. Do I have to keep the 250G disk on the primary controller? and do I
    have to make ti the master drive?. Are there any issues to keep it slave?
    4. Can I make the 10G disk slave after installing windows 2000 on it? and
    make the 250G disk master?

    Appreciate all your help.

    thanks
    Golf Nut, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Golf Nut

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Golf Nut" <> wrote in

    > I have a compaq deskpro desktop pc with 2 hard disks 10G and 80G dual
    > o/s xp and 2000. XP on the 10G and win2000 on the 80G.
    > I bought a new maxtor 250G HD and connected it to the system. Created
    > 4 partitions using xp (50/50/100/REST). Made all of them primary. You
    > can do that at the OS level.
    > I backed up all my data on the 100G partition.
    >
    > My plan was the follows.
    >
    > 1. Partition the 10G disk to 4/2/4. This i did after booting 2000.
    > 2. Install win2000 on par 1 of the 10G disk.
    > 3. Install xp on the par 1 of the 250G disk
    > 4. Install linux on the par 2 of the 250G disk and use par 2 of the
    > 10G disk as swap.
    > 5. Not use the 80G disk.
    >
    > Problems:
    > During the first installation of win2000, everything would go well
    > till the first reboot. It would just hang at booting from hard disk. I
    > probably did not have the 10G disk as the master disk in the primary
    > controller. I think even after making it the master, it did not work.
    > I used fdisk and made par1 active and that did it.
    > I used fdisk to see the partitions of the 250G disk and it was all
    > gibbresh. I did see 4 partitions though.
    > Now I have data sitting in partiton 3 of the 250G whhich i dont want
    > to lose.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. Should i use fdisk to fix the 10G disk and create primary and
    > extended partions? Primary 4G.
    > Extended 6G with two logical drives(2 and 4). Will I be able to use
    > that 2G partition for swap in linux.
    > 2. Should I use fdisk on the 250G disk to make the partition 1 of the
    > disk active? I am concerned about the data sitting in partiton 3. How
    > else can i make sure I can boot xp from partition 1 of the 250G disk.?
    > 3. I will be using the 250G disk mostly as I will be booting xp /linux
    > mostly. Do I have to keep the 250G disk on the primary controller? and
    > do I have to make ti the master drive?. Are there any issues to keep
    > it slave? 4. Can I make the 10G disk slave after installing windows
    > 2000 on it? and make the 250G disk master?
    >
    > Appreciate all your help.
    >
    > thanks

    I can ses Linux and NT based O/S(s), Win 9'x or ME and NT based O/S(s),
    but a dual boot Win 2K and XP NT based O/S(s)?????

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Golf Nut

    Golf Nut Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Golf Nut" <> wrote in
    >

    > > I have a compaq deskpro desktop pc with 2 hard disks 10G and 80G dual
    > > o/s xp and 2000. XP on the 10G and win2000 on the 80G.
    > > I bought a new maxtor 250G HD and connected it to the system. Created
    > > 4 partitions using xp (50/50/100/REST). Made all of them primary. You
    > > can do that at the OS level.
    > > I backed up all my data on the 100G partition.
    > >
    > > My plan was the follows.
    > >
    > > 1. Partition the 10G disk to 4/2/4. This i did after booting 2000.
    > > 2. Install win2000 on par 1 of the 10G disk.
    > > 3. Install xp on the par 1 of the 250G disk
    > > 4. Install linux on the par 2 of the 250G disk and use par 2 of the
    > > 10G disk as swap.
    > > 5. Not use the 80G disk.
    > >
    > > Problems:
    > > During the first installation of win2000, everything would go well
    > > till the first reboot. It would just hang at booting from hard disk. I
    > > probably did not have the 10G disk as the master disk in the primary
    > > controller. I think even after making it the master, it did not work.
    > > I used fdisk and made par1 active and that did it.
    > > I used fdisk to see the partitions of the 250G disk and it was all
    > > gibbresh. I did see 4 partitions though.
    > > Now I have data sitting in partiton 3 of the 250G whhich i dont want
    > > to lose.
    > >
    > > Questions:
    > >
    > > 1. Should i use fdisk to fix the 10G disk and create primary and
    > > extended partions? Primary 4G.
    > > Extended 6G with two logical drives(2 and 4). Will I be able to use
    > > that 2G partition for swap in linux.
    > > 2. Should I use fdisk on the 250G disk to make the partition 1 of the
    > > disk active? I am concerned about the data sitting in partiton 3. How
    > > else can i make sure I can boot xp from partition 1 of the 250G disk.?
    > > 3. I will be using the 250G disk mostly as I will be booting xp /linux
    > > mostly. Do I have to keep the 250G disk on the primary controller? and
    > > do I have to make ti the master drive?. Are there any issues to keep
    > > it slave? 4. Can I make the 10G disk slave after installing windows
    > > 2000 on it? and make the 250G disk master?
    > >
    > > Appreciate all your help.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > I can ses Linux and NT based O/S(s), Win 9'x or ME and NT based O/S(s),
    > but a dual boot Win 2K and XP NT based O/S(s)?????
    >
    > Duane :)

    I already have win2000/xp/linux on my laptop and it works fine.

    My questions are regarding the partitions.

    thanks
    Golf Nut, Feb 21, 2004
  4. On Saturday 21 February 2004 07:18 am, Golf Nut wrote:

    > I have a compaq deskpro desktop pc with 2 hard disks 10G and 80G dual
    > o/s xp and 2000. XP on the 10G and win2000 on the 80G.
    > I bought a new maxtor 250G HD and connected it to the system. Created
    > 4 partitions using xp (50/50/100/REST). Made all of them primary. You
    > can do that at the OS level.
    > I backed up all my data on the 100G partition.
    >
    > My plan was the follows.
    >
    > 1. Partition the 10G disk to 4/2/4. This i did after booting 2000.
    > 2. Install win2000 on par 1 of the 10G disk.
    > 3. Install xp on the par 1 of the 250G disk
    > 4. Install linux on the par 2 of the 250G disk and use par 2 of the
    > 10G disk as swap.
    > 5. Not use the 80G disk.
    >
    > Problems:
    > During the first installation of win2000, everything would go well
    > till the first reboot. It would just hang at booting from hard disk. I
    > probably did not have the 10G disk as the master disk in the primary
    > controller. I think even after making it the master, it did not work.
    > I used fdisk and made par1 active and that did it.
    > I used fdisk to see the partitions of the 250G disk and it was all
    > gibbresh. I did see 4 partitions though.
    > Now I have data sitting in partiton 3 of the 250G whhich i dont want
    > to lose.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. Should i use fdisk to fix the 10G disk and create primary and
    > extended partions? Primary 4G.
    > Extended 6G with two logical drives(2 and 4). Will I be able to use
    > that 2G partition for swap in linux.
    > 2. Should I use fdisk on the 250G disk to make the partition 1 of the
    > disk active? I am concerned about the data sitting in partiton 3. How
    > else can i make sure I can boot xp from partition 1 of the 250G disk.?
    > 3. I will be using the 250G disk mostly as I will be booting xp /linux
    > mostly. Do I have to keep the 250G disk on the primary controller? and
    > do I have to make ti the master drive?. Are there any issues to keep
    > it slave? 4. Can I make the 10G disk slave after installing windows
    > 2000 on it? and make the 250G disk master?
    >
    > Appreciate all your help.

    It seems to me that your most important concern at the moment is
    recovering your data from the 100G partition of the 250GB drive.
    Right? So, don't concern yourself now with which OS on which
    partition/drive.

    I suggest that you use your Linux install disk and boot into "Repair" or
    "Recover" or "Rescue" mode. Whatever it's called on your distro. This
    will put a small, but functional Linux OS (commandline only) on a
    ramdisk with none of the drives/partitions mounted. Use Linux fdisk to
    examine all the hard drives and partitions for integrity. Mount the
    100GB partition and see if you can read the files there. If you can,
    and since you're not going to use the 80G drive, use Linux fdisk to put
    a single 80G partition on it and format it. Do a badblock check, too.
    Now, mount it and copy the files over from the 100G partition. Check
    that everything was copied and without errors. Now, using fdisk delete
    ALL the partitions on the other 2 drives. Shutdown and "halt" the
    system. Remove the 80G drive. Reconfigure the 2 other drives so they
    are properly jumpered, and set up correctly for installing your OSs,
    with any other drives you need installed and configured.

    Now, boot with one of the Windows install CDs (I suggest 2000.) and
    partition the drive(s) to receive all the OSs, just don't format the
    Linux ones. You'll do that from during the Linux install anyway.
    Wherever you put it, just make sure you install Linux last, so you use
    its boot menu instead of Windows to boot any of the OSs. (Windows
    can't see Linux, but Linux can see Windows.)

    When everything is up and running, temporarily re-install the 80G drive
    and copy the files off it to the appropriate partition(s).

    If it turns out that the 100G partition is corrupted or unreadable by
    Linux or Windows, I suggest trying a Windows file recovery program. If
    that doesn't work, then your files are probably ruined or
    unrecoverable.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    Stefan Patric, Feb 21, 2004