"Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lbrtchx@gmail.com, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
    on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
    then I am getting:
    ~
    "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    ~
    Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
    ~
    check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    ~
    make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    ~
    run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    knoppix)
    ~
    The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
    defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
    ~
    So what on earth is going on?
    ~
    How can I solve this problem?
    ~
    Thanks
    lbrtchx

    , Mar 17, 2008

  2. John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

    This error is about the disk (CD) from which you're trying to perform the
    installation. However, you don't /need/ to install W98 first to do an
    upgrade. Read this:
    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/howto/XPug.htm
    This is a much better way, as an upgrade most certainly will lead to an
    unstable installation. This way, you'll have a clean, fresh installation.

    --
    Your mother was a grotesque bag lady who talked incessantly about cheese
    with other like-minded people.

    John Holmes, Mar 17, 2008

  3. VanguardLH Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP

    <snip>

    You do not need to install Windows 98 to do the upgrade to Windows XP.
    Just boot from the Windows XP install CD. When it says that it cannot
    find a prior eligible version of Windows from which to upgrade, insert
    the install CD for Windows 98 and point there to continue the upgrade
    install of Windows XP.

    NOTE: lbrtchx attempted to disconnect all discussions by redirecting
    any replies via FollowUp-To to just the microsoft.public.win98.setup.
    If the other newsgroups are inappropriate for seeing replies then
    those newsgroups were also inappropriate for you to post there! As a
    result, I ignored the attempt to use FollowUp-To to disconnect the
    discussion from the other newsgroups (my response was already sent to
    the followup newsgroup and was not included in this redo of my prior
    reply). Do not cross-post to newsgroups and then use the FollowUp-To
    header to disconnect those discussions. You may have selected one
    newsgroups as your favorite home newsgroup but that doesn't mean the
    respondents want to visit there. FollowUp-To is used by spammers and
    malcontents.

    VanguardLH, Mar 17, 2008
  4. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
    > I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
    > on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
    > then I am getting:
    > ~
    > "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > ~
    > Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
    > ~
    > check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    > ~
    > make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    > ~
    > run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    > knoppix)
    > ~
    > The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
    > defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
    > ~
    > So what on earth is going on?
    > ~
    > How can I solve this problem?
    > ~
    > Thanks
    > lbrtchx

    Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Mar 17, 2008
  5. John Holmes Guest

    Arno Wagner "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
    >> I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
    >> on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
    >> then I am getting:
    >> ~
    >> "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    >> ~
    >> Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
    >> ~
    >> check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    >> ~
    >> make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    >> ~
    >> run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    >> knoppix)
    >> ~
    >> The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
    >> defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
    >> ~
    >> So what on earth is going on?
    >> ~
    >> How can I solve this problem?
    >> ~
    >> Thanks
    >> lbrtchx

    > Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    > removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.
    >
    > Arno

    That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

    --
    Your mother was a canophilic vegetable who campaigned for the harlots'
    union on a small island in the middle of nowhere.

    John Holmes, Mar 17, 2008
  6. VanguardLH Guest

    "John Holmes" wrote in message

    > Arno Wagner "contributed":
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to
    >>> XP
    >>> on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase,
    >>> but
    >>> then I am getting:
    >>>
    >>> "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    >>>
    >>> Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order
    >>> to:
    >>> check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    >>> make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    >>> run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    >>> knoppix)

    >> Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    >> removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

    > That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

    Hmm, not really. You said, "This error is about the disk (CD) from
    which you're trying to perform the
    installation." Only the CD, not a floppy diskette, is what you
    mentioned. Besides, having multiple similar answers leads credence to
    all of them because multiple users voted on the same cause or
    solution.

    Also, the OP was trying to install Windows 98 *first* (which both of
    us noted is not required to install the Windows XP upgrade). The
    install CD for Windows 98 is not bootable so a floppy is required to
    start the setup program (if you aren't running setup.exe from a prior
    install of Windows). The OP never mentioned having a prior install of
    Windows under which to run the setup.exe for Windows 98.

    > --

    <snip - worthless random signature>
    <snip - 24 blank lines - geesh>

    VanguardLH, Mar 17, 2008
  7. nobody > Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > "John Holmes" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Arno Wagner "contributed":

    >>> Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    >>> removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

    >> That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

    > Hmm, not really. You said, "This error is about the disk (CD) from
    > which you're trying to perform the
    > installation." Only the CD, not a floppy diskette, is what you
    > mentioned. Besides, having multiple similar answers leads credence to
    > all of them because multiple users voted on the same cause or solution.
    >
    > Also, the OP was trying to install Windows 98 *first* (which both of us
    > noted is not required to install the Windows XP upgrade). The install
    > CD for Windows 98 is not bootable so a floppy is required to start the
    > setup program (if you aren't running setup.exe from a prior install of
    > Windows).

    Later OEM 98SE is often bootable

    nobody >, Mar 18, 2008
  8. > "John Holmes" wrote in message

    >> Arno Wagner "contributed":

    >>> Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    >>> removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

    >> That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in

    > <snip - worthless egocentric maniacal drivel>

    Confirmation : *You* *are* *the* *biggest* *asshole*!

    ( You got a seester named Mike Easter?
    She ugly too - and whines just like you. )

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    ANNOY A LIBERAL :

    WORK HARD. SUCCEED! BE HAPPY!!!

    http://www.nantucketsuicide.com/dreamdate.mp3

    http://www.nantucketsuicide.com/limpia.mp3