    How can I eliminate these fragments.

    Regards
    Rob

    ROBERT BROOKS, May 20, 2004

  2. ROBERT BROOKS

    Thor Guest

    "ROBERT BROOKS" <@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:KTZqc.12$...
    > Hi
    > Could anyone please advise. I have run diskdefrag on my 40GB Dell machine
    > and noticed that quite a number of files won't defrag.
    >
    > Examples are the windows\system32\config\software - this is the largest

    at
    > 17mb.

    Some files are unmovable because they are in use, read-only, or system files
    that cannot be moved. The best way to make sure you defrag the maximum
    amount of files possible, is disable virtual memory (do not do this if you
    have very little RAM on the system) while you defrag, and make sure you
    don't have any user files that are set to "read only" attributes, and run
    defrag in safe mode to minimize background tasks. In the end, there will
    always be some files that will not be defragged. No reason to spend much
    time worrying about them.

    Thor, May 20, 2004

  3. ROBERT BROOKS

    Spammer Guest

    There are some files that won't defrag with the one included with windoz
    (MFT). Download the trial version of Disk Keeper (free for 30 days) and
    use it. It will defrag everything.

    Spammer, May 20, 2004
  4. ROBERT BROOKS

    Brad Guest

    "ROBERT BROOKS" <@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<KTZqc.12$>...
    > Hi
    > Could anyone please advise. I have run diskdefrag on my 40GB Dell machine
    > and noticed that quite a number of files won't defrag.
    >
    > Examples are the windows\system32\config\software - this is the largest at
    > 17mb.
    >
    > I have a total of 112 fragmented files.
    >
    > How can I eliminate these fragments.
    >
    > Regards
    > Rob

    You can always run defrag in Safe Mode.

    Brad, May 20, 2004
  5. ROBERT BROOKS

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Spammer" <> wrote in message
    > There are some files that won't defrag with the one included with windoz
    > (MFT). Download the trial version of Disk Keeper (free for 30 days) and
    > use it. It will defrag everything.

    I tired Diskeeper a few months back. Read some reviews about it, one said
    how the program hangs your computer when it comes to defrag a large file.
    Downloaded it anyway, to see what it was like. I got the problem where when
    it came to defrag a movie, disk image, etc (any large file, 700+ mb), my
    computer would hang.

    Had to re-boot everytime, so uninstalled Diskeeper.
    Anyone else experience this problem?

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, May 21, 2004
  6. ROBERT BROOKS

    Spammer Guest

    nope. try using it's scandisk at boot.

    Spammer, May 21, 2004
  7. ROBERT BROOKS

    bearman Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > "Spammer" <> wrote in message
    > > There are some files that won't defrag with the one included with windoz
    > > (MFT). Download the trial version of Disk Keeper (free for 30 days) and
    > > use it. It will defrag everything.

    > I tired Diskeeper a few months back. Read some reviews about it, one said
    > how the program hangs your computer when it comes to defrag a large file.
    > Downloaded it anyway, to see what it was like. I got the problem where

    when
    > it came to defrag a movie, disk image, etc (any large file, 700+ mb), my
    > computer would hang.
    >
    > Had to re-boot everytime, so uninstalled Diskeeper.
    > Anyone else experience this problem?
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >
    > http://punkthenation.tk

    I had a semi-similar experience with Diskeeper. When it got to my rather
    large backup file, it would just stop and go no further with the following
    error message:

    "ScanFat: Scan aborted-Fatal error-file \\?\C\Backup of XP
    drive\Backup of XP drive 3-24-03.qic"

    I didn't have to reboot but what's the point of defragging if the program
    stops (and you don't know where in the defrag process it stopped). E-mails
    to Diskeeper (Executive Software) were not helpful at all. I still use it
    but I don't defrag the drive the backup is on (it doesn't get much use
    anyway so fragmenting is not that much of a problem).

    Bearman

    bearman, May 21, 2004
  8. ROBERT BROOKS

    Wizard Guest

    Was your drive's partition Fat?

    Wizard, May 21, 2004
  9. ROBERT BROOKS

    bearman Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Was your drive's partition Fat?
    >
    > bearman wrote:
    > >
    > > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Spammer" <> wrote in message

    windoz

    and

    > > > I tired Diskeeper a few months back. Read some reviews about it, one

    said
    > > > how the program hangs your computer when it comes to defrag a large

    file.
    > > > Downloaded it anyway, to see what it was like. I got the problem where

    > > when
    > > > it came to defrag a movie, disk image, etc (any large file, 700+ mb),

    my
    > > > computer would hang.
    > > >
    > > > Had to re-boot everytime, so uninstalled Diskeeper.
    > > > Anyone else experience this problem?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Global_Killa
    > > > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    > > >
    > > > http://punkthenation.tk
    > > >

    > > I had a semi-similar experience with Diskeeper. When it got to my

    rather
    > > large backup file, it would just stop and go no further with the

    following
    > > error message:
    > >
    > > "ScanFat: Scan aborted-Fatal error-file \\?\C\Backup of XP
    > > drive\Backup of XP drive 3-24-03.qic"
    > >
    > > I didn't have to reboot but what's the point of defragging if the

    program
    > > stops (and you don't know where in the defrag process it stopped).

    E-mails
    > > to Diskeeper (Executive Software) were not helpful at all. I still use

    it
    > > but I don't defrag the drive the backup is on (it doesn't get much use
    > > anyway so fragmenting is not that much of a problem).
    > >
    > > Bearman

    No.

    bearman, May 21, 2004
  10. ROBERT BROOKS

    bearman Guest

    "bearman" <> wrote in message

    > "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > > Was your drive's partition Fat?
    > >
    > > bearman wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message

    > windoz

    days)
    > and

    > said

    > file.

    where
    > > > when

    mb),
    > my

    > > > I had a semi-similar experience with Diskeeper. When it got to my

    > rather
    > > > large backup file, it would just stop and go no further with the

    > following
    > > > error message:
    > > >
    > > > "ScanFat: Scan aborted-Fatal error-file \\?\C\Backup of XP
    > > > drive\Backup of XP drive 3-24-03.qic"
    > > >
    > > > I didn't have to reboot but what's the point of defragging if the

    > program
    > > > stops (and you don't know where in the defrag process it stopped).

    > E-mails
    > > > to Diskeeper (Executive Software) were not helpful at all. I still

    use
    > it
    > > > but I don't defrag the drive the backup is on (it doesn't get much use
    > > > anyway so fragmenting is not that much of a problem).
    > > >
    > > > Bearman

    > No.

    I take that back. The partition is FAT 32.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 22, 2004
  11. ROBERT BROOKS

    Wizard Guest

    Therein lys the problem.

    Wizard, May 22, 2004
  12. ROBERT BROOKS

    bearman Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Therein lys the problem.
    >
    > bearman wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > I take that back. The partition is FAT 32.
    > >
    > > Bearman

    I don't know why that would be. It seems to hang on the backup file. Could
    you explain, please.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 22, 2004
  13. ROBERT BROOKS

    Wizard Guest

    I don't have an explaination, other than Diskkeeper runs flawlessly on
    NTFS partions.

    Wizard, May 22, 2004
  14. ROBERT BROOKS

    bearman Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > I don't have an explaination, other than Diskkeeper runs flawlessly on
    > NTFS partions.
    >
    > bearman wrote:
    > >
    > > "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > > > Therein lys the problem.

    > > I don't know why that would be. It seems to hang on the backup file.

    Could
    > > you explain, please.
    > >
    > > Bearman

    Except for that one file, it works fine on the FAT32 drive (or at least up
    to that file). I also use Diskeeper on an NTFS partition of the same drive.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 22, 2004
  15. ROBERT BROOKS

    Mr. Phil Guest