(Disk Drive Problem)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CRC, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. CRC

    CRC Guest

    Turned the computer on, went to get a cup of coffee and when I got back I found
    the following message. It has been 2 hours and nothing else has happened. I want to
    turn if off and try to boot up again, should I wait any longer? Disk drive activity light has
    not blinked any.

    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    The volume is dirty.

    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 310869.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 326376.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 326383.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 329091.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 330588.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 330816.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 347634.
    CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    from file record segment 361996.
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    27 percent completed.

    CRC, Jul 19, 2007

  2. CRC wrote:
    > Turned the computer on, went to get a cup of coffee and when I got back I found
    > the following message. It has been 2 hours and nothing else has happened. I want to
    > turn if off and try to boot up again, should I wait any longer? Disk drive activity light has
    > not blinked any.
    >
    > The type of the file system is NTFS.
    > The volume is dirty.

    The volume is dirty? Eh?

    If there's no activity on the drive, what do you have to lose? Don't
    want to alarm you, but I had this happen before and all the data on the
    disk was scrambled. Maybe you'll be luckier.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007

  3. CRC

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:29:41 -0500, "CRC" <> wrote:

    >Turned the computer on, went to get a cup of coffee and when I got back I found
    >the following message. It has been 2 hours and nothing else has happened. I want to
    >turn if off and try to boot up again, should I wait any longer? Disk drive activity light has
    >not blinked any.

    No, press Restart button, or just power off, wait a few secs, then
    power on.

    >The type of the file system is NTFS.
    >The volume is dirty.
    >
    >CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    >Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    >from file record segment 310869.

    Looks like you have a lot of errors on your hard-disk.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Jul 20, 2007
  4. CRC

    Guest

    "CRC" <> wrote:

    >The type of the file system is NTFS.
    >The volume is dirty.
    >
    >CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    >Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    >from file record segment 310869.
    >CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    >Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")

    Bad case of Magnetic "wobbles" or commonly known as magnetic
    avalanche...

    - Hey it could be :)
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/07/18/2255256.shtml

    You'll find a lot of files in a FOUND.000 directory or as Rôgêr
    mentioned a disk of unless data.

    Doesn't really matter when you turn it off the damage is done.

    --
    Not news: Man arrested for exposing himself.
    News: He's 90 years old.

    , Jul 20, 2007
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 20, 2007
  6. CRC wrote:

    > Turned the computer on, went to get a cup of coffee and when I got back I
    > found the following message. It has been 2 hours and nothing else has
    > happened. I want to turn if off and try to boot up again, should I wait
    > any longer? Disk drive activity light has not blinked any.
    >
    > The type of the file system is NTFS.
    > The volume is dirty.
    >
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 310869.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 326376.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 326383.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 329091.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 330588.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 330816.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 347634.
    > CHKDSK is verifying files (Stage 1 of 3)...
    > Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
    > from file record segment 361996.
    > File verification completed.
    > CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    > 27 percent completed.

    Looks like your drive is about to quit.
    If you have valueable data, consider a professional data recovery.
    If you want to try yourself, attach a 2nd harddrive, boot from a rescue cd
    like knoppix, R.I.P., hirens bootcd etc., and do a sector-by-sector clone.

    Sometimes it helps letting the drive rest and cool down for a while, then
    just start cloning immediately after boot.
    With ghost you may have to use the commandline switch for "forensic mode"
    and/or skip bad sectors.
    On the new drive, re-run the chkdsk and pray.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jul 20, 2007