Disk "Dirty" Msg. And "Index's" Deletion Via Chkdsk ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 14, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Running XP.

    When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
    nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
    was "Dirty".

    Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?

    Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.

    Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.

    When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".

    Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore Point.
    (think I sahould ?)

    What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
    term before either ?

    Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 14, 2007

  2. Robert11

    ded Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Running XP.
    >
    > When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
    > nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
    > was "Dirty".
    >
    > Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?
    >
    > Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.
    >
    > Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.
    >
    > When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".
    >
    > Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore
    > Point. (think I sahould ?)
    >
    > What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
    > term before either ?
    >
    > Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Well, em, I know if a resource sector is flagged as "dirty" in XP, Chkdsk
    can be used from the recovery console to recover autochk, if it can't
    recover, it prompts for the XP installation disk.
    Chkdsk would kick in with Win2000/NT if a "dirty bit set" prevented
    autochk being read (Same thing as XP but different method/cure).
    I'd guess your XP behaved as win2000(??) to recover autochk? And
    it seemingly worked.
    I remember something about certain poorly authored software
    corrupting windows cluster service, which could cause "dirty" flagging
    but that was long before XP. Did problem occur after installing software?
    A disk flagged "dirty" dosen't mean it is failing, just a bit of minor
    corruption which in your case Chkdsk recovered, but play safe and at
    least perform a defrag and scandisk.

    ded, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:52:54 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Running XP.
    >
    >When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
    >nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
    >was "Dirty".
    >
    >Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?

    Then you didn't look in past posts,

    or lots of info

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=xp chkdsk dirty flag
    or change the keywords
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=xp dirty flag

    >Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.

    It will, did you read this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
    Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

    >Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.
    >
    >When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".
    >
    >Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore Point.
    >(think I sahould ?)

    No, it seems you don't know what SR does, again search
    there have been a few recent posts with links to articles and MS support
    documents.

    Microsoft Windows XP - Fsutil: dirty
    To query the dirty bit on drive C, type:. fsutil dirty query C:. Sample
    output: Volume C: is dirty. or Volume C: is not dirty. To set the dirty
    bit on drive ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil_dirty.mspx
    - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

    There is a chkdksk that can be run from the recovery console
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

    >What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
    >term before either ?

    An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use
    with Chkdsk.exe

    Phase 1: Checking files
    Phase 2: Checking indexes
    Phase 3: Checking security descriptors

    >Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Robert11

    ded Guest

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:52:54 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Running XP.
    >>
    >>When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
    >>nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
    >>was "Dirty".
    >>
    >>Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?

    > Then you didn't look in past posts,
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    >
    > or lots of info
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=xp chkdsk dirty flag
    > or change the keywords
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=xp dirty flag
    >
    >>Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.

    > It will, did you read this?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
    > Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer
    >
    >>Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.
    >>
    >>When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".
    >>
    >>Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore
    >>Point.
    >>(think I sahould ?)

    > No, it seems you don't know what SR does, again search
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    > there have been a few recent posts with links to articles and MS support
    > documents.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP - Fsutil: dirty
    > To query the dirty bit on drive C, type:. fsutil dirty query C:. Sample
    > output: Volume C: is dirty. or Volume C: is not dirty. To set the dirty
    > bit on drive ...
    > www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil_dirty.mspx
    > - 9k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > There is a chkdksk that can be run from the recovery console
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058
    >

    >>What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
    >>term before either ?

    > An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use
    > with Chkdsk.exe
    >
    > Phase 1: Checking files
    > Phase 2: Checking indexes
    > Phase 3: Checking security descriptors
    >
    >>Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Bob
    >>

    > Me

    Thanks for that, I knew I wasn't remembering it correctly.

    ded, Nov 15, 2007