    Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
    defrag program out there.

    Thanks
    Swenkal, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Swenkal

    Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <> wrote:

    >My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
    >for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
    >time defragment and still nowhere.
    >
    >Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
    >defrag program out there.

    The way to do it without using a defrag program is

    copy the files someplace else
    format the drive
    copy the files back

    The files should be contiguous when copied back to the
    clean drive.
    , Mar 25, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <> wrote:
    >

    >>My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
    >>for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
    >>time defragment and still nowhere.
    >>
    >>Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
    >>defrag program out there.

    > The way to do it without using a defrag program is
    >
    > copy the files someplace else
    > format the drive
    > copy the files back
    >
    > The files should be contiguous when copied back to the
    > clean drive.

    That ain't easy to do without ghosting the drive, then the
    defragmentation is preserved.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Rôgêr wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after
    >>> defragging it for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP
    >>> and then from a boot time defragment and still nowhere.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real
    >>> good defrag program out there.

    >> The way to do it without using a defrag program is
    >>
    >> copy the files someplace else
    >> format the drive
    >> copy the files back
    >>
    >> The files should be contiguous when copied back to the
    >> clean drive.

    > That ain't easy to do without ghosting the drive, then the
    > defragmentation is preserved.

    er ^^ fragmentation
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Swenkal

    Jerry G. Guest

    Start the computer in the safe mode. Use the original MS defrag utility, and
    it should work. This works for me all the time, and does an excellent job.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 25, 2005
  6. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:49:20 GMT, "Swenkal" <>
    wrote:

    >My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
    >for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
    >time defragment and still nowhere.
    >
    >Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
    >defrag program out there.
    >
    >Thanks

    vopt
    Graham P. Filderson, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Swenkal

    Buffalo Guest

    "Swenkal" <> wrote in message
    > My backup drive (60 GIGS) is 53% fragmented and that is after defragging it
    > for over 130 hours with Diskeeper. Tried in Windows XP and then from a boot
    > time defragment and still nowhere.
    >
    > Doesn't seem to be going anywhere now so I wonder if there is a real good
    > defrag program out there.
    >
    > Thanks

    How much free space on that 60GB drive?
    Is that drive partitioned?
    If you don't have enough free space, it won't defrag.
    Have your run an up-to-date virus scan?
    Spyware scans?
    Scandisk first (or whatever they call it in XP)?
    Buffalo, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Swenkal

    Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:26:27 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >That ain't easy to do without ghosting the drive, then the
    >defragmentation is preserved.

    I'm starting to see why they farm out all the programming to India.
    The people here look for ways to make things not work and then
    do them. ;)
    , Mar 26, 2005
  9. I find Diskeeper to be an excellent program and today it defragged my
    drive from 359% fragmented ( that is 3.59 fragments per file
    throughout the drive) - over 65000 fragmented files - in about 5 - 10
    minutes .
    The MS defrag program is excruciatingly slooooooow and doesn't seem to
    do a thorough job anyway! And it's affected by other things running ,
    so I would never use it at all.
    I would guess there is another problem if the program has ben run for
    tens of hours !
    valeofbelvoirdrinker, Mar 28, 2005