    with Task Scheduler? I was trying that earlier and could
    only find Disk Cleanup listed. If not, why not?

    Thanks!!
    johnny, Mar 5, 2004

  2. johnny

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi Johnny,

    There is a way to do it, just a bit convoluted. Here's how I was able to
    set it up....

    Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/task scheduler. I'm sure
    you know how to do that, but just in case anyone else is interested...

    Start the wizard, and when you are prompted to pick the program you want to
    run, click on 'browse'. Then, point your direction towards the system
    folder, usually c:\windows, and find the program, defrag.exe. Highlight,
    click open, and go back to the wizard. After you do this, you will be
    prompted as to how often you wish for this to run, etc... just follow the
    steps and answer accordingly.

    Apparently, they decided not to add this option in XP due to the MMC not
    being able to run more than one instance of this program. Since there are a
    few ways to access it via the GUI, they left this nice feature out. Oh
    well, build a better mousetrap, sometimes, you get a better mouse ;-)

    Happy computing.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Mar 6, 2004