    Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "

    Thanks,

    Michael
    Michael M, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Michael  M

    hummerdog Guest

    The answer is Yes. Clean out Cookie folder, and Temp Internet
    Folder. Restart computer in `Safe` mode, then defrag.
    best wishes..J

    hummerdog, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Michael  M

    calyth Guest

    calyth, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Michael  M

    Old Gringo Guest

    Michael M wrote:
    > I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
    >
    > Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "
    >

    > Thanks,
    >

    > Michael

    Yes and should be done frequently depending on use.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Michael  M

    Buffalo Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Yes and should be done frequently depending on use.
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo George
    > Magic Weaver Of Life
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

    If you are running a 2GHz or faster cpu and your fragmentation is under 20%,
    have you ever noticed a difference in speed after defragging?
    I don't think you will.
    But then again????
    Buffalo, Jun 8, 2005
  6. Michael  M

    Old Gringo Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yes and should be done frequently depending on use.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

    > If you are running a 2GHz or faster cpu and your fragmentation is under 20%,
    > have you ever noticed a difference in speed after defragging?
    > I don't think you will.
    > But then again????

    It's nothing but PM to me. I like keeping things up to snuff. :)

    Old Gringo, Jun 8, 2005
  7. Michael M wrote:
    > I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
    > Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "
    > Thanks, Michael

    Seems to me that you need some basic instruction on how to maintain
    your system.
    Things to do every week.
    1.Clean out those temp files-CrapCleaner is a good tool for this.
    2.Clear out My Documents.
    3.Run chkdsk
    4.Run defrag
    5.Run a full system scan using your Anti-Virus program.
    I have more info on my pages.
    -max
    What's in a Name?, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Michael  M

    Plato Guest

    Michael M wrote:

    > I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
    > Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "

    After 2 years, yes, it will do good. You should see an improvement in
    speed afterwards. Delete all your Internet cache and temp files before
    you defrag tho. No need to spend hours moving them around as they may
    account for 60% of the total number of files on your hard drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 8, 2005
  9. Michael  M

    calyth Guest

    Buffalo Wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    > If you are running a 2GHz or faster cpu and your fragmentation is unde
    > 20%,
    > have you ever noticed a difference in speed after defragging?
    > I don't think you will.
    > But then again????

    There are many reasons to do so.
    When files are in contiguous blocks, it means that it would likely li
    on the same track (or very nearby track). Modern drives actually rea
    the same track (or cylinder, I forgot which) when you request to read
    block. For sake of simplicity, let's say the file resides on the sam
    track. So accessing the file would require a seek to the right track
    and one full rotation.
    Now imagine your file being poorly fragmented - suppose that all block
    are interleaved in such a way that accessing block n+1 from block n o
    the file requires a rotation (HD access time is mostly dominated by th
    speed of the rotation). Again for the sake of simplicity, reading al
    blocks of that file would likely mean a seek, and partial rotation pe
    block (I'm not being accurate here).
    Even your 2GHz computer would mean nothing if it's sitting aroun
    trying to read all over the place for all the files it needs, such a
    unless very full and creates/deletes lots of files, shouldn't be 20
    fragmented. A typical percentage of fragmentation on a linux fil
    system is less than 5% that I've seen

    --
    calyt

    calyth's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=280
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181907947
    calyth, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Michael  M

    Michael M Guest

    Thanks to all of you who gave me the info I needed.

    Michael

    Michael M, Jun 9, 2005
  11. Michael  M

    Russ Guest

    DANGER - if you haven't defragged in 2 years, and there's a possibility
    your drive might have some errors, you are headed for trouble.
    Defragging a bad disk could very well be destructive, because you are
    utilizing 80 to 90% of the disk that perhaps has been unused (read:
    untested) for a very long time.

    I bought an old laptop with a bad drive, (did NOT know it was bad), ran
    defrag, and voila - instant and fatal crash.

    Point I'm making, a bad drive can disguise itself as a good drive up
    until the point that you try a defrag, then all goes to pot.

    Back Up Your Data First.

    Then, follow the advice of the other poster, and do this weekly.
    Drives sometimes fail gracefully, and if you defrag often, you're
    likely to detect problem spots before they become cataclysmic.
    Russ, Jun 9, 2005
  12. Doesn't hurt, just ensure ALL programs are closed and you're not using
    computer. Then run it; you may find some performance improvement.

    John
    Unlimited newsgroup access as low as $2.95
    http://www.newsgroups-download.com/

    John Spieo \(MSCE\), Jun 14, 2005
  13. Michael  M

    old jon Guest

    "John Spieo (MSCE)" <> wrote in message
    > Doesn't hurt, just ensure ALL programs are closed and you're not using
    > computer. Then run it; you may find some performance improvement.
    >
    > John
    > Unlimited newsgroup access as low as $2.95
    > http://www.newsgroups-download.com/
    >
    > "Michael M" <> wrote in message
    >> I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
    >>
    >> Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> Michael

    Also Mike, defrag in `Safe` mode. OK ?.
    old jon, Jun 14, 2005