    like that in 5 years of being a computer tech.

    Any ideas?

    , Aug 7, 2006

  2. enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users
    with:

    > I have a computer that I believe was struck by lightning. I had to
    > replace the power supply and the motherboard. I backed up the old
    > hard drive and started fresh.

    > If I have a bootable CD in the drive (Windows CD, Diagnostics CD,
    > etc), it will boot into Windows, as it should, when I don't press any
    > key to
    > boot to CD. I found that quite strange, as I have never seen anything
    > like that in 5 years of being a computer tech.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    When you just press the reset button after the first failed boot, or
    even ctrl-alt-del, does it boot up then?
    There may be a chance your hd(s) take a bit too long to spin up for the
    first attempt.
    Otherwise ... you already changed psu and mainboard, so left the old
    graphics card or what else?

    Walter Mautner, Aug 7, 2006

  3. abright52 Guest

    Nope, reset or Ctrl-Alt-Del don't change anything.

    It has onboard Video.

    The only thing left is the processor and once I get it to boot (with
    the CD in the drive) Windows works flawlessly.

    abright52, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the boot sequence is set to
    "A:,C:,CD". Be sure to save any changes when exiting.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 7, 2006
  5. abright52 Guest

    Boot Sequence is correct.

    -Floppy
    -CDROM
    -Hard Drive

    I have tried the hard drive in all three positions, no change.

    abright52, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Ben Myers Guest

    Please try "Floppy, Hard Drive, CDROM", if available. If not, see
    if you can remove the CD drive from the sequence..

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 8, 2006
  7. abright52 Guest

    As I said, I have tried the hard drive in all 3 positions.

    I also disconnected the floppy and CDROM drive completely to no avail.

    abright52, Aug 9, 2006
  8. abright52 enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > As I said, I have tried the hard drive in all 3 positions.
    >
    > I also disconnected the floppy and CDROM drive completely to no avail.

    Really strange. Have you tried to re-flash the bios (get a new or even
    copy of the running version from the appropriate homepage) as well?
    Then do not forget to "reset to fail-safe (or setup) defaults" or
    whatever menu you have.

    Walter Mautner, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup and see if there is a fast boot option. If so, make
    sure it is disabled. Also, you might try resetting the BIOS to the default
    settings.

    Ben Myers, Aug 9, 2006
  10. abright52 Guest

    BIOS has been set to the default/optimized settings several times.
    I also flashed the BIOS with the latest version, no changes.

    abright52, Aug 9, 2006
  11. abright52 Guest

    Problem Solved.

    I replaced the WD HD that I bought with a Seagate drive, Installed
    Windows and all is well!

    -Adam

    abright52, Aug 18, 2006