    Stuart McFarlane
    Car = RX-7
    Laptop = Ferrari

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IE1jRmFybGFuZQ==?=, Jul 15, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Did you try more than one way of typing bluetooth, what about "blue", "blue
    tooth", "tooth"?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    "Stuart McFarlane" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  4. Depends on how you're accessing the newsgroup. If you're using the web front
    end -- all bets are off. If you're using an NNTP reader, your best bet is to
    set the NNTP reader to download ALL messages, and then use the built in
    ability to search. (In OE, that would be "Shift-F3 -- Find message in this
    folder".)

    The MS servers don't archive older messages past about 60 days, I believe,
    though it might be shorter. So older threads will age off the servers, making
    the ability to search on the web front end pretty much useless for older
    threads.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Thanks guys ... yeah I'm using the MS web interface and you're right the
    search is next to useless. There are 53 pages of content and I can't pick up
    any of it using the search facility at the top. I'll switch to a news reader.
    It's been years since I used one and it was character-based at that (UNIX)!
    Any recommendations on a good, cheap news reader?
    --
    Stuart McFarlane
    Car = RX-7

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IE1jRmFybGFuZQ==?=, Jul 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IE1jRmFybGFuZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Use the Outlook Express that is already on your X64. Real cheap, free.

    "Stuart McFarlane" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Jul 15, 2005
  7. Ahh, very true.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  8. I actually find OE to be quite acceptible, and the price is right.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  9. "John Barnes" <> wrote in:

    > Use the Outlook Express that is already on your X64. Real cheap, free.

    It works. If you want something a bit better try Xnews (also free) from
    http://xnews.newsguy.com

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 16, 2005
  10. Indeed. Thanks again guys ... much appreciated.
    --
    Stuart McFarlane
    Car = RX-7

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IE1jRmFybGFuZQ==?=, Jul 16, 2005
  11. "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in

    > "John Barnes" <> wrote in:
    >
    >> Use the Outlook Express that is already on your X64. Real cheap, free.

    > It works. If you want something a bit better try Xnews (also free) from
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com

    Giving it a try right now. We'll see. Biggest problem is I'll have to
    relearn all my keyboard shortcuts. :(

    Charlie Russel, Jul 16, 2005
  12. Charlie Russel <> wrote in:

    > "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "John Barnes" <> wrote in:
    >>
    >>> Use the Outlook Express that is already on your X64. Real cheap, free.

    >> It works. If you want something a bit better try Xnews (also free) from
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com
    >>

    > Giving it a try right now. We'll see. Biggest problem is I'll have to
    > relearn all my keyboard shortcuts. :(

    There's a TON of help available in news.software.readers

    If you do a Google Groups search on that newsgroup you'll find a list of
    websites in some of the replies to help requests that have tons of info about
    Xnews such as:

    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/davidgb/x_setup10.html
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/davidgb/
    http://www.seegras.de/xnews/

    and a newsgroup posting shark named Blinky has tons of info here:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html This may be the only one you need
    as there are links to many of the best Xnews sites given.

    I don't think I could ever use another newsreader but... I've had a couple of
    years to get used to it... ;-)

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 16, 2005
  13. Well, I'm back to OE for tonight at least. We'll see.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 16, 2005
  15. Thats the name of an adult magazine here in Jamaica.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IE1jRmFybGFuZQ==?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Stuart.

    Just click here:

    Unless blocked by a corporate firewall or something, that one click should
    start OE, create a News Account for the Microsoft public news server,
    connect you to this NG and download the 300 latest headers. In other words,
    it should bring you right back here - but using the news reader, rather than
    the web-based interface. You will see the same groups and messages either
    way. You should even be able to find this entire thread by sorting (just
    click on the column header) by (date) Sent, or by Subject or by From (your
    own name), then scrolling through the list. Or, click Edit | Find choose
    what to find.

    Later, you can configure OE and your news account to suit yourself. Click
    Tools | Options... and explore the tabs. On the Read tab, you can change
    the number of headers downloaded at a time: 300 is the default; you can set
    it to as many as 1,000; or uncheck the box to get them all - but in an
    active newsgroup, be ready for a long wait, even with broadband. On the
    Maintenance tab, you can change the default (was it 5?) for how many days to
    keep the messages on your own HD.

    Most of the people asking questions in these groups prefer the web-based
    interface. Most of the people who know the answers prefer a news reader.
    ;^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA