Discussion board abuse

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jim Watt, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    Some time ago I mentioned here I was getting attempts to flood
    a small technical message board I host with messages about
    forced gay sex. A bit of filtering stopped that, however the person
    has been back promoting loans and gambling so it looks more like
    dissruption than promoting a particular interest..

    The board software used is a cosmetic rehash of wwwboard and were
    I to do it again I'd use something more robust, however it was as
    much a learning exercise and has proved so.

    The <expletive deleted> party seems to use a variety of IP
    addresses, including

    148.244.150.58
    193.194.84.198
    207.248.240.118

    I suspect that use of a proxy server is involved unless there is an
    algerian.mexican conspiracy against satellite television

    Two of the above indicate they are running some Cisco
    software.

    Thoughts are invited, logs available.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Jim Watt

    GregRo Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:40:34 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >The board software used is a cosmetic rehash of wwwboard and were
    >I to do it again I'd use something more robust, however it was as
    >much a learning exercise and has proved so.

    You might try requiring registration to post. This way if anyone
    misbehaves you can ban them or start moderating post if you have the
    time.

    Greg Ro

    GregRo, Jul 23, 2005