    a Cisco specific option would do.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Stephen Regan.

    Stephen Regan, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Stephen Regan

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Stephen Regan" <> writes:

    >Can anyone suggest a method to find all the VoIP devices in a network
    >to monitor and manage them.

    I built a script to setup some Sipura devices. I certainly understand
    the desire to automate such things.

    >The only option that I have found is to discover a gatekeeper by
    >sending a multicast message (gatekeeperRequest message) to 224.0.1.41.
    >Is there similar ways for other devices like Call Server, IPPhone,
    >Gateway, etc... Is there a way to get these information from the call
    >server? At the moment, I am mainly focussing on Cisco devices. So, even
    >a Cisco specific option would do.

    Do you control the network? For my system I just scanned the DHCP
    leases and picked out the Sipura devices. Doing something similar for
    Cisco devices should be fairly straightforward.

    (For a large system you're probably using static leases, right? Can
    you just use that file?)

    As far as managing them once you've found them, I don't know what's
    possible for Cisco. The Sipuras have an HTTP/HTML interface and I
    just used that.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Hi Kyler,

    I find it a bit hard to get your point. Are you suggesting to get the
    lease information from dns server. I don't think the lease record will
    give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc). Moreover, what about
    software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i
    missing something here?

    Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using
    stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323)
    methods?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Stephen Regan.

    Stephen Regan, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Stephen Regan

    Guest

    On 20 Jan 2005 05:39:18 -0800, "Stephen Regan" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Kyler,
    >
    >I find it a bit hard to get your point. Are you suggesting to get the
    >lease information from dns server. I don't think the lease record will
    >give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc). Moreover, what about
    >software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i
    >missing something here?
    >
    >Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using
    >stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323)
    >methods?

    If you know the type of devices, you can discover them on the network
    via MAC address. Any SNMP or network sniffer will capture those, and
    as all manufacturers have an assigned range, you can look up what they
    are then you can usually push configs to them.

    Hal

    >Thanks & Regards,
    >Stephen Regan.

    , Jan 20, 2005
  5. Wow. That was one cool solution to find the vendor name. Thanks Hal.

    Any such cooler solution to find the devices type ;-) also.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Stephen Regan.

    Stephen Regan, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Stephen Regan

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Stephen Regan" <> writes:

    >Are you suggesting to get the
    >lease information from dns server.

    Yes.

    >I don't think the lease record will
    >give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc).

    You'll know the Ethernet manufacturer from the MAC address. For my
    Sipura devices that's quite helpful. If you have Cisco gear
    everywhere it's just a start.

    >Moreover, what about
    >software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i
    >missing something here?

    Once you know the IP address, it's time to probe the machine. If
    it has an HTTP server, it's should be trivial to get versions, etc.

    >Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using
    >stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323)
    >methods?

    Probably. I'm not familiar with your devices.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Jan 21, 2005
  7. Stephen Regan

    Sekhar Guest

    Many of the Internet Services providers in India are in search for such
    VOIP Internet usage through devices - as its illegal as of today -
    without proper license. Many calling card companies are still doing it
    without proper license.

    Yes, its still ILLEGAL to use VOIP deviecs without license in INDIA.

    Reliance is sued for using VOIP to PSTN termination by BSNL for
    Rs.100,000 Crores.

    Sekhar, Jan 24, 2005