    does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
    HP LaserJet 4MV.
    Thanks for any help.

    volfan, Oct 10, 2003

  2. volfan

    Harrison Guest

    It would be on the server as a reservation in DHCP, if you have a
    server running DHCP.
    You could also use a port scanner and scan your network for all
    devices. If the printer is connected and working, it will show up.
    Superscan is good.
    http://www.webattack.com/get/superscan.shtml

    Harrison, Oct 10, 2003

  3. volfan

    jeroen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
    > does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
    > HP LaserJet 4MV.
    > Thanks for any help.

    if it's networked it should have a mio option which allows you to print
    out network settings.
    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands

    jeroen, Oct 10, 2003
  4. volfan

    volfan Guest

    The MAC address of the printer doesn't show up in leases on the server. If
    it's there, it's under another name that I don't recognize. The printer
    does not have an option to print the i/o configuration.
    Thanks,

    volfan, Oct 10, 2003
  5. volfan

    Harrison Guest

    Did you look under reservations?
    Typically, you'd want a print server to have a fixed IP address.

    Also, has this printer been configured on an any workstations before
    now? If so, the IP would be in the printer properties on that
    computer.

    You may also get better results with an HP specific forum.

    Harrison, Oct 10, 2003
  6. volfan

    Stace Guest

    "volfan" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
    > does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
    > HP LaserJet 4MV.
    > Thanks for any help.

    I vaguely recall using some HP software called JetAdmin to manage these
    printers when they had JetDirect cards fitted to connect them directly to
    the LAN several years ago.

    Looking at the HP site, this is now obsolete and seems to have been replaced
    by WebJetAdmin - no experience of this but you can get it from
    http://tinyurl.com/qgo4

    Stace.

    Stace, Oct 10, 2003
  7. volfan

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, volfan wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
    >does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a

    It does (had many of these at work a while ago), if it's the Internal
    JetDirect card, even an external print server if that's hows it's
    connected will print a config page.

    >HP LaserJet 4MV.

    Otherwise, use the buttons on the front panel to view the TCP/IP
    settings in the MIO menu.

    Check the docs at www.hp.com , there is no 4MV manual I saw, but there
    is a manual CD or look at the online 4Si, or 4V if there is one.
    http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl08037/bpl08037.pdf
    it's very close if not exactly what I recall the 4MV to be. See section
    6 first.

    Or
    http://www.computerfuchs.net/neu/pdf/hp4v_eng.pdf

    Maybe even,
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/networking/support_doc/bpj02326.html
    HP LaserJet 4, 4 Plus, 4V, 4Si, and 5 series and HP Color LaserJet
    printers
    To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following
    instructions:
    1. Press MENU, repeatedly, until one of the following messages
    appears on the control panel:

    .... read the rest.

    Carefully remove the JetDirect card, it should have the MAC address
    printed on it. If you are using DHCP to issues addresses look up the
    MAC. Same applies to external PS, there should be a label on it with the
    MAC..

    Unless you have a lot of HP devices try looking in the OUI listing
    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
    d/l the text file and search it.

    HP MACs start

    00-01-E6 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
    00-01-E7 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
    00-04-EA (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
    00-08-83 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
    00-0A-57 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company - Standards
    00-10-83 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY
    00-30-C1 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD
    00-60-B0 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.

    Can't remember which were internal Jet Directs, but 00-60-B0 rings a
    bell for the external JD's. Maybe they all were the same.

    <snip>

    If you need more links, then you too can use www.google.com hopefully.

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2003
  8. volfan

    volfan Guest

    You're right, I found the option to print, but now it's even more confusing.
    It show an ip address that's not even on my network. When I try to ping the
    ip address shown, it show unreachable.

    volfan, Oct 10, 2003
  9. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    volfan <> typed
    || Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network
    || printer? It does not have an option to print the configuration
    || page. The printer is a HP LaserJet 4MV.
    || Thanks for any help.

    You should be able to see / change the IP address via the printer's control
    panel.

    Check the HP site for a manual if you don't have one.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 10, 2003
  10. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Harrison <> typed
    || It would be on the server as a reservation in DHCP, if you have a
    || server running DHCP.

    DHCP? It should have a static IP address

    Robert de Brus, Oct 10, 2003
  11. volfan

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:33:09 -0500, volfan wrote:

    >You're right, I found the option to print, but now it's even more confusing.
    >It show an ip address that's not even on my network. When I try to ping the

    The address would be?

    Does the config info say it's configured by
    Front Panel Telnet or DHCP/BOOTP?

    >ip address shown, it show unreachable.

    If it's not on your network address space that's no surprise. You could
    always setup a route to it.

    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, volfan wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
    >> >does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is

    >> It does (had many of these at work a while ago), if it's the Internal
    >> JetDirect card, even an external print server if that's hows it's
    >> connected will print a config page.

    <snip links to hp / manuals>

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2003
  12. volfan Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>:

    > Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network
    > printer? It
    > does not have an option to print the configuration page. The
    > printer is a HP LaserJet 4MV.
    > Thanks for any help.

    Hit the online button so it's offline.

    Hit the menu button until "test menu" comes us. Hit item until
    "self test" comes up. Hit enter.

    On the page that came out will be a variety of info, including the
    IP address/MAC address/Novell info of any Jetdirect card installed in
    the printer.

    If you are using an external Jetdirect or Intel box, you can hit
    the test page button to get it's info printed out...

    HTH

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Oct 10, 2003