    having a conversation with?

    I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
    send you or accept a file.

    Roaming Penguin, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Roaming Penguin

    jonny Guest

    Ask them, ,,,!!!!!!!!!1,,,,,,,,,I think that people are entitled to there
    privacy.
    If its a conversation you dont want then log off..

    ..Jonny

    jonny, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Roaming Penguin

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Roaming Penguin" said in
    > Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
    > having a conversation with?
    >
    > I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
    > send you or accept a file.

    MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service. Look at the
    headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header which has the IP
    address of the host that connected to it that requested the e-mail get sent
    from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might also insert this header. I remember a
    self-professed anonymous webmail service but then found it added a header
    with the sender host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms
    of service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
    anonymous webmail service).

    Simply check the headers to see what the sender inserted and what the
    sending mail server inserted.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Feb 1, 2004
  4. I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
    via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
    messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
    find how to obtain it.

    Roaming Penguin, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Roaming Penguin

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Roaming Penguin" said in
    > I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
    > via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
    > messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
    > find how to obtain it.
    >
    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:32:57 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Roaming Penguin" said in
    >>> Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
    >>> having a conversation with?
    >>>
    >>> I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the
    >>> person send you or accept a file.

    >> MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service.
    >> Look at the headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header
    >> which has the IP address of the host that connected to it that
    >> requested the e-mail get sent from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might
    >> also insert this header. I remember a self-professed anonymous
    >> webmail service but then found it added a header with the sender
    >> host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms of
    >> service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
    >> anonymous webmail service).
    >>
    >> Simply check the headers to see what the sender inserted and what the
    >> sending mail server inserted.

    If you block by IP address then you would end up having to block Hotmail's
    mail server from connecting to you. However, that would eliminate all
    e-mails from Hotmail.

    If you just want to block this one sender then use a rule that checks for
    delete that message. Instead of waiting until you run your e-mail client to
    run its rule (after, however, downloading the e-mail), you could use Magic
    Mail Monitor which is an e-mail monitor utility but includes rules (or
    filters). You could define a filter that searches for "X-Originating-IP:
    xx.xx.xx.xx" in the headers, and then configure that filter to delete the
    message from the mail server. The monitor only downloads the headers to
    check for new e-mails. The filter would delete any e-mails from the abusive
    sender at that IP address. You would never get notified in the monitor
    utility that the e-mail even arrived (although you can check the
    deletemessage.log). And you don't have to waste the time and bandwidth to
    download that abusive e-mail into your e-mail client.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Roaming Penguin

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 02:19:02 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <>
    wrote:

    >"Roaming Penguin" said in
    >> I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
    >> via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
    >> messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
    >> find how to obtain it.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:32:57 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Roaming Penguin" said in

    >>> MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service.
    >>> Look at the headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header
    >>> which has the IP address of the host that connected to it that
    >>> requested the e-mail get sent from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might
    >>> also insert this header. I remember a self-professed anonymous
    >>> webmail service but then found it added a header with the sender
    >>> host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms of
    >>> service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
    >>> anonymous webmail service).

    Correct. This works for Yahoo Mail too. Instead of Hotmail's
    X-Originating-IP, I found my IP in this line of an expanded header for
    Yahoo Mail:

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Feb 2, 2004
  7. But the question was more or less, how can you get their address
    without actually emailing, if you are just chatting over MSN, or
    having a direct MSN 6.1 conversation with someone, and you would like
    to obtain their ip address.

    Roaming Penguin, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Roaming Penguin

    StacyB Guest

    I've never used MSN, but perhaps a 'netstat' would show the target IP
    Address. If not, then perhaps a packet sniffer like winpcap.

    StacyB, Feb 2, 2004
  9. Roaming Penguin

    Gladys Pump Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 04:18:33 -0500, in newsfroup alt.computer.security,
    Roaming Penguin <> articulated the following
    sentiments :

    >Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
    >having a conversation with?
    >
    >I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
    >send you or accept a file.

    I think you've answered your own question. In ICQ for example, initiating a
    file transfer with someone will switch you over from connecting to them via
    the ICQ servers, to their machine directly.

    As someone said in this thread already, you could use a sniffer, but I think
    the only ways would be during file transfers, with the aid of netstat, or
    TCPView (http://www.sysinternals.com), or again as has already been
    mentioned, via the headers in an email if they use that method.

    You can block people from seeing you and contacting you online can't you ?
    Unless they have some 'toolz' to bypass this, they shouldn't be able to
    reach you.

    What do you want the IP address for ? Reporting abuse ? If you're planning a
    revenge attack on their computer, I would advise you not to do this as you
    could end up being the one in trouble.

    Regs,

    Pete.

    Gladys Pump, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Roaming Penguin

    test Guest

    In MS IM you can block the user from sending you IM's.

    Just highligh the user in your list, press delete and you will be asked "Do
    you want to BLOCK this user. tick the box and there you have it. No more
    IM's from that user.

    If you have delete the user previously, without blocking. Go to options,
    then click privicy and re-block the user.

    It's that simple.

    KS

    test, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Roaming Penguin

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "StacyB" said in news:401eb9f2$0$15626$:
    > I've never used MSN, but perhaps a 'netstat' would show the target IP
    > Address. If not, then perhaps a packet sniffer like winpcap.

    I doubt that would work. The Messenger clients (MSN, Yahoo, AOL) are going
    to connect to their parent server (obviously MSN Messenger connects just to
    Microsoft's servers). The other MSN Messenger user does the same. It's not
    like a MSN Messenger user is broadcasting their message all over the
    Internet hoping to find the intended recipient. The communications go
    through the manager server which, in this case, would be a Microsoft server.
    All you'll see is your MSN Messenger connecting to a Microsoft host. That
    won't tell you the other party that is also connecting to the Microsoft host
    used to transfer the communications.

    It's been way too long since I bothered using MSN/AOL/Yahoo Messenger. I
    don't have the need for instant gratification to prattle and prefer others
    expend some mental energy in composing a better written e-mail (but some
    folks still write like they speak and haven't a clue that writing and
    speaking are two different communicative arts). As I recall, all you tell
    about the other party was their handle or moniker; i.e., the username they
    specified for their account. Since all usernames have to be unique, I would
    think it easy to filter out (i.e., block) any communications from a
    particular member, but then that would require that MSN Messenger provides a
    blacklist where you could list those users that you want to block.

    The instructions at http://messenger.msn.com/Help/#LQ19 seem to indicate
    that you cannot block another user until they establish a conversation
    during which you can select to block them. That's stupid. That means you
    have to wait around until the joker connects before you can block them.
    Supposedly the blocking will add the member name to a list so maybe you can
    find a config screen showing the list so you can edit it to put in a
    member's name before they next try to connect to you. I doubt that blocking
    a particular member also eliminates them from getting status about you going
    online with MSN Messenger. Unless you need to tell everyone you know - and
    anyone else that has added you to their contact list - when you go online
    with MSN Messenger, I'd disable that "feature."

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Roaming Penguin

    Ben Measures Guest

    Roaming Penguin wrote:
    > But the question was more or less, how can you get their address
    > without actually emailing, if you are just chatting over MSN, or
    > having a direct MSN 6.1 conversation with someone, and you would like
    > to obtain their ip address.

    If you're being harassed through MSN Messenger you can use a packet
    sniffer on the client computer sniffing port 1863. Theres a lot of stuff
    to go through but you'll find the ip address of the "enemy" in there.

    See http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/index.php for more info on what
    you're seeing.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

    Ben Measures, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Roaming Penguin

    Ben Measures Guest

    Gladys Pump wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 04:18:33 -0500, in newsfroup alt.computer.security,
    > Roaming Penguin <> articulated the following
    > sentiments :
    >

    >>Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
    >>having a conversation with?
    >>
    >>I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
    >>send you or accept a file.

    > I think you've answered your own question. In ICQ for example, initiating a
    > file transfer with someone will switch you over from connecting to them via
    > the ICQ servers, to their machine directly.

    Yep. Use netstat whilst you are transfering a file.

    > As someone said in this thread already, you could use a sniffer, but I think
    > the only ways would be during file transfers, with the aid of netstat, or
    > TCPView (http://www.sysinternals.com), or again as has already been
    > mentioned, via the headers in an email if they use that method.

    I said you could use a sniffer. And I have done, all without a
    file-transfer. Everytime a conversation is initiated their username and
    IP is sent to your MSN Messenger client. See other post for more details.

    > You can block people from seeing you and contacting you online can't you ?
    > Unless they have some 'toolz' to bypass this, they shouldn't be able to
    > reach you.
    >
    > What do you want the IP address for ? Reporting abuse ? If you're planning a
    > revenge attack on their computer, I would advise you not to do this as you
    > could end up being the one in trouble.

    I second that. Revenge has its consequences too. Especially with the
    technophobic attitudes "modern" governments display.

    In the USA you can be classed a terrorist for misuse of computer
    systems, and that can mean indefinite holding without trial.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------

    Ben Measures, Feb 3, 2004
  14. I think the original poster wants to find out the IP of the other person to
    do some "stuff" as he/she would have led us to believe. I don't think that
    OP is as green as he/she makes the post out to be... of course he/she knows
    about the block user feature.

    --
    R Green
    Tech Support

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Feb 4, 2004
  15. Roaming Penguin

    Peter_APIIT

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    What is header and where is it ?

    I need to know how to discover ip address by MSN.

    Thanks for your help.

    Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.

    Peter_APIIT, Oct 28, 2007