    knows value and worth in nickels and dimes!

    ****I'M GOING TO START PIRATING TOO, MAKE COPIES OF MY DISCS AND MAKE
    THEM AVAILABLE WHEN THEY GO OUT-OF-PRINT****
    NYC XYZ, Jan 18, 2006

  2. NYC XYZ

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, NYC
    XYZ <> wrote:

    > Now it's "Divided We Fall!"
    >
    > WTF is up with Columbia/Tri-Star Home Video??
    >
    > They've discontinued all the good stuff -- "Bizet's Carmen," "32 Short
    > Films about Glenn Gould"....
    >
    > And Warner's discontinued "Roots" as well!!
    >
    > Seems like pirates might be like Medieval monks, preserving culture and
    > civilization against the barbarism of the capitalist creed which only
    > knows value and worth in nickels and dimes!
    >
    > ****I'M GOING TO START PIRATING TOO, MAKE COPIES OF MY DISCS AND MAKE
    > THEM AVAILABLE WHEN THEY GO OUT-OF-PRINT****

    This goes on all the time with books. Not every title is in print all
    the time. They print up a bunch, and if sales drop below a certain
    point they don't reprint more and just sell out the current stock.
    After a couple years demand has built up enough to make another
    printing worth while. Why should movies be any different? There's lots
    of used copies floating around if you have to have it now.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jan 18, 2006

  3. "NYC XYZ" <> wrote:

    > Now it's "Divided We Fall!"
    >
    > WTF is up with Columbia/Tri-Star Home Video??
    >
    > They've discontinued all the good stuff -- "Bizet's Carmen," "32 Short
    > Films about Glenn Gould"....
    >
    > And Warner's discontinued "Roots" as well!!
    >
    > Seems like pirates might be like Medieval monks, preserving culture and
    > civilization against the barbarism of the capitalist creed which only
    > knows value and worth in nickels and dimes!
    >
    > ****I'M GOING TO START PIRATING TOO, MAKE COPIES OF MY DISCS AND MAKE
    > THEM AVAILABLE WHEN THEY GO OUT-OF-PRINT****

    Good for you, and good for us all! I don't use the term "hero" lightly,
    but you are the greatest hero in American history.
    Walter Traprock, Jan 18, 2006
  4. NYC XYZ

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:31:23 -0800, Walter Traprock
    <> Gave us:

    >"NYC XYZ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Now it's "Divided We Fall!"
    >>
    >> WTF is up with Columbia/Tri-Star Home Video??
    >>
    >> They've discontinued all the good stuff -- "Bizet's Carmen," "32 Short
    >> Films about Glenn Gould"....
    >>
    >> And Warner's discontinued "Roots" as well!!
    >>
    >> Seems like pirates might be like Medieval monks, preserving culture and
    >> civilization against the barbarism of the capitalist creed which only
    >> knows value and worth in nickels and dimes!
    >>
    >> ****I'M GOING TO START PIRATING TOO, MAKE COPIES OF MY DISCS AND MAKE
    >> THEM AVAILABLE WHEN THEY GO OUT-OF-PRINT****

    >Good for you, and good for us all! I don't use the term "hero" lightly,
    >but you are the greatest hero in American history.

    Yeah, and yer a goddamned retarded Usenet troll fucktard!
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 18, 2006
  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Hehehe...I'd let you know what's going on, but it's too funny and I
    can't stop laughing..hehehe....

    NYC XYZ, Jan 18, 2006
  6. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Invid Fan wrote:

    > This goes on all the time with books. Not every title is in print all
    > the time. They print up a bunch, and if sales drop below a certain
    > point they don't reprint more and just sell out the current stock.

    Yeah, but my God, these are prestige titles. In an odd way, the very
    fact that they're not available shows that there is some demand for
    them -- otherwise, there would be stacks sitting around! So just how
    many orders has to come in each month for them to determine a title
    worthy of continued availability?

    > After a couple years demand has built up enough to make another
    > printing worth while. Why should movies be any different?

    It doesn't cost them a lot of money to print these up, from what I
    know. F. Scott Fitzgerald's publisher, Scribner & Sons, routinely kept
    fifty copies a year for the odd request when he'd been mostly forgotten
    after the '30s for over a decade.

    > There's lots
    > of used copies floating around if you have to have it now.

    No there isn't, which is why it's at ~$100 for used copies.

    If still too lazy for it, but sooner or later I think I'll research
    DVD-ripping. This is the 21st Century, and with broadband, there's no
    reason why anything film should be unavailable, much less those both
    critically and popularly acclaimed!

    NYC XYZ, Jan 18, 2006
  7. NYC XYZ

    Regis Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Is there something like abandonware in music, litterature and movie
    industry ???
    Regis, Jan 20, 2006
  8. NYC XYZ

    Invid Fan Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    In article <>,
    Regis <> wrote:

    > Is there something like abandonware in music, litterature and movie
    > industry ???

    There's public domain, when the copyright has expired. Letting
    something go out of print for a few years doesn't put it there, though
    :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jan 20, 2006
  9. NYC XYZ

    Justin Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Invid Fan wrote on [Fri, 20 Jan 2006 03:48:15 -0500]:
    > In article <>,
    > Regis <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there something like abandonware in music, litterature and movie
    >> industry ???
    >>

    > There's public domain, when the copyright has expired. Letting
    > something go out of print for a few years doesn't put it there, though
    > :)

    copyrights don't expire anymore. Not until Disney stops buying congress.
    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    In article <200120060348159096%>,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >Regis <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there something like abandonware in music, litterature and movie
    >> industry ???

    >There's public domain, when the copyright has expired. Letting
    >something go out of print for a few years doesn't put it there, though
    >:)

    And the extension of the copyright laws a few years ago to give
    the heirs of the original copyright owners what amounts to a
    free-ride for a long time hasn't helped a thing.

    There were reasons for copyrights to be 26 years with a 26 year
    renewal, but now copyright terms sound like a prison sentence "life
    plus 50 years". [I may have that last number wrong].

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 20, 2006
  11. NYC XYZ

    Abbot Guest

    Don't know if this is new enough for you, but try:

    http://www.archive.org/

    its all free
    AD

    Abbot, Jan 20, 2006
  12. NYC XYZ

    Justin Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Bill Vermillion wrote on [Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:15:02 GMT]:
    > In article <200120060348159096%>,
    > Invid Fan <> wrote:
    >>In article <>,
    >>Regis <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there something like abandonware in music, litterature and movie
    >>> industry ???

    >>There's public domain, when the copyright has expired. Letting
    >>something go out of print for a few years doesn't put it there, though
    >>:)

    > And the extension of the copyright laws a few years ago to give
    > the heirs of the original copyright owners what amounts to a
    > free-ride for a long time hasn't helped a thing.
    >
    > There were reasons for copyrights to be 26 years with a 26 year
    > renewal, but now copyright terms sound like a prison sentence "life
    > plus 50 years". [I may have that last number wrong].

    Didn't they up it to 70 years?
    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  13. Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    In article <2go.com>,
    Justin <> wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote on [Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:15:02 GMT]:
    >> In article <200120060348159096%>,
    >> Invid Fan <> wrote:

    >>>There's public domain, when the copyright has expired. Letting
    >>>something go out of print for a few years doesn't put it there, though
    >>>:)

    >> And the extension of the copyright laws a few years ago to give
    >> the heirs of the original copyright owners what amounts to a
    >> free-ride for a long time hasn't helped a thing.
    >>
    >> There were reasons for copyrights to be 26 years with a 26 year
    >> renewal, but now copyright terms sound like a prison sentence "life
    >> plus 50 years". [I may have that last number wrong].

    >Didn't they up it to 70 years?

    Could be. That would be like two consecutive life sentences. By
    the time it was out of copyright no one would want it :_0

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 20, 2006
  14. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    The kicker is that the greedy bastards WOULD STILL hang on and keep it
    unavailable!

    NYC XYZ, Jan 20, 2006
  15. NYC XYZ

    Justin Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    NYC XYZ wrote on [20 Jan 2006 09:57:27 -0800]:

    > The kicker is that the greedy bastards WOULD STILL hang on and keep it
    > unavailable!

    They aren't required to sell it to you.
    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  16. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Justin wrote:

    > They aren't required to sell it to you.

    It's culture...I say that if it's not being "used" then there's nothing
    wrong with piracy.

    And keeping such a lock on copy-rights just goes to underline the sheer
    greed of it all.
    NYC XYZ, Jan 20, 2006
  17. NYC XYZ

    Justin Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    NYC XYZ wrote on [20 Jan 2006 11:25:34 -0800]:

    > Justin wrote:
    >>

    >> They aren't required to sell it to you.

    > It's culture...I say that if it's not being "used" then there's nothing
    > wrong with piracy.

    Then you'd be wrong.
    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  18. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    Justin wrote:

    > Then you'd be wrong.

    No, you're wrong.
    NYC XYZ, Jan 20, 2006
  19. NYC XYZ

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 21, 2006
  20. NYC XYZ

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Re: @#$%^&*!! Discontinued AGAIN!!!!

    On 20 Jan 2006 09:57:27 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <>
    Gave us:

    >The kicker is that the greedy bastards WOULD STILL hang on and keep it
    >unavailable!

    You top posting fucking retard! Don't you have anything to say that
    actually has some modicum of depth?

    Learn how to refrain from top posting in Usenet, you retarded ****.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 21, 2006