    reconnections (10min) Also when dialing up everything else freezes dont know
    if this is relevent. I am using win98se & IE 6
    Thanks to all who take the time

    penny&pound, Apr 2, 2004

  2. penny&pound

    Palindrome Guest

    penny&pound wrote:

    > Hi all hope someone can help. Over the last week I have been getting
    > disconnect ever few min from freeserve. I have tried every area of help EG,
    > phone line tested ok, pc cables etc tested ok the problem seems to lie with
    > the server but after a number of e mails to freeserve I AM NO FURTHER
    > FORWARD. It is driving me nuts. When I am connected everything is so
    > slowwwwwwwwwww then bang disconnected again sending this mail has taken 4
    > reconnections (10min) Also when dialing up everything else freezes dont know
    > if this is relevent. I am using win98se & IE 6
    > Thanks to all who take the time

    Can I suggest that you sign up elsewhere, in addition to your freeserve
    account? There are many other pay as you go schemes (eg beeb). You would
    then not be cut off from the internet when freeserve has problems and
    would be able to "prove" whether it was your computer or not.

    In this case, it may be freeserve, it may be your computer or it may be
    noise on the line. If you get the disconnects on another ISP then you
    know it is going to be either your computer or the line and not freeserve!

    Line testing is not what it seems. What you need is line monitoring, not
    a split-second snapshot. Line testing will not detect such things as a
    motor suppressor capacitor failure on your fridge - putting a burst of
    noise out every time the fridge motor starts.

    If the connection is very slow when it is connected it could be your
    modem has negotiated a connection at a very slow speed because the
    signal to noise level is high on the line or because self noise in the
    modem is high. So it could be your modem has developed a fault.

    Again, the best thing to do is first to eliminate the ISP. If you still
    have problems, then try a different modem if you can.

    Of course, underlying everthing is the need to have a good antivirus
    strategy. It could just be that you have some nasty on your computer
    that is disconnecting freeserve in order to make a call to a premium
    rate number. Now there is a thought...

    Palindrome, Apr 2, 2004

  3. penny&pound

    hushia Guest

    Try another provider just to test if it is your system or theirs.

    hushia, Apr 2, 2004