Disconnection fee going from Orcon Jetstream to Bitstream?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew Gerald, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. I got a bit of a surprise in my Telecom bill today, a nice $100
    disconnection fee from when I upgraded from Orcon's Jetstream to
    Bitstream. Tried calling Orcon but hung up after being on hold for
    hours. Rang Telecom and they said that because Jetstream was being
    provided by them and onsold by Orcon, it counts as a move from Telecom
    to Orcon, even though I was only dealing with Orcon.

    Is that right? That just sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe I didn't read
    the fineprint when I signed up with Orcon, but I don't remember them
    stating a disconnection fee when upgrading from Orcon Jetstream to
    Bitstream.

    I just checked Orcon's web site and it says:

    "Transfer fees from an Orcon JetStream service to BitStream will be
    waived until 30th November 2004."

    Is a 'transfer fee' the same as Telecom's disconnection fee???

    This is all too confusing. What happened to the days when dealing with
    a company meant dealing with that company only?

    Andrew

    Andrew Gerald, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Andrew Gerald said the following on 25/11/2004 21:25:
    > I got a bit of a surprise in my Telecom bill today, a nice $100
    > disconnection fee from when I upgraded from Orcon's Jetstream to
    > Bitstream. Tried calling Orcon but hung up after being on hold for
    > hours. Rang Telecom and they said that because Jetstream was being
    > provided by them and onsold by Orcon, it counts as a move from Telecom
    > to Orcon, even though I was only dealing with Orcon.
    >
    > Is that right? That just sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe I didn't read
    > the fineprint when I signed up with Orcon, but I don't remember them
    > stating a disconnection fee when upgrading from Orcon Jetstream to
    > Bitstream.
    >
    > I just checked Orcon's web site and it says:
    >
    > "Transfer fees from an Orcon JetStream service to BitStream will be
    > waived until 30th November 2004."
    >
    > Is a 'transfer fee' the same as Telecom's disconnection fee???
    >
    > This is all too confusing. What happened to the days when dealing with
    > a company meant dealing with that company only?
    >
    > Andrew

    Your change is that Telecom used to bill you for it now that you have
    changed they wont be Orcon will be.
    So yes you have been hit with a churn fee. BTW how long had you been
    connected w9ith orcon via Telecom, could it be a fee for a short term
    use of a free install.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > This is all too confusing. What happened to the days when dealing with
    > a company meant dealing with that company only?

    heh, if it's such an issue, join Telecom/Xtra.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > "Transfer fees from an Orcon JetStream service to BitStream will be
    > waived until 30th November 2004."
    >
    > Is a 'transfer fee' the same as Telecom's disconnection fee???

    From the Orcon Web site (On the page for existing ADSL customers to
    upgrade to BitStream) -

    "Note: If you are on a minimum term contract for your Telecom JetStream
    line fee, moving to Orcon's BitStream service might dishonour this,
    causing a disconnection fee. Please check with Telecom before upgrading
    if you received 2 free months or a free installation when originally
    signing up with Orcon."

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Your change is that Telecom used to bill you for it now that you have
    > changed they wont be Orcon will be.
    > So yes you have been hit with a churn fee. BTW how long had you been
    > connected w9ith orcon via Telecom, could it be a fee for a short term
    > use of a free install.

    The 'Churn fee' applies to ISPs and is passed on to customers as part of
    their subscription costs.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Andrew Gerald

    Steve Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > > "Transfer fees from an Orcon JetStream service to BitStream will be
    > > waived until 30th November 2004."
    > >
    > > Is a 'transfer fee' the same as Telecom's disconnection fee???

    > From the Orcon Web site (On the page for existing ADSL customers to
    > upgrade to BitStream) -
    >
    > "Note: If you are on a minimum term contract for your Telecom JetStream
    > line fee, moving to Orcon's BitStream service might dishonour this,
    > causing a disconnection fee. Please check with Telecom before upgrading
    > if you received 2 free months or a free installation when originally
    > signing up with Orcon."
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Yep, I got hit with this despite the fact that when I got connected up I
    specified no special deal, as I didn't want to be on a minimum term
    contract. Worked out all right in the end though as I saved $150 on the
    special deal, so even after the disconnect fee I saved $50.
    Apparently Orcon are waiving the churn fee at the moment, so hopefully I can
    escape that particular nasty :)

    Cheers.

    Steve, Nov 25, 2004
  7. The Other Guy <> wrote in message news:<41a63629$>...
    > "Note: If you are on a minimum term contract for your Telecom JetStream
    > line fee, moving to Orcon's BitStream service might dishonour this,
    > causing a disconnection fee. Please check with Telecom before upgrading
    > if you received 2 free months or a free installation when originally
    > signing up with Orcon."
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Yeah I finally get it now. I was under the impression (incorrectly it
    seems) that when I joined Orcon Jetstream that I was only being billed
    by Orcon and not partly by Telecom, hence I didn't think transferring
    to Bitstream would incur a disconnection fee.

    I talked to Telecom and they said they would credit me this fee if I
    went back to Xtra. Their 1mbps plan for $44.95 interests me, I'm not
    too worried about the 1gig limit. I know people generally have a bad
    opinion of Telecom, but do you reckon I should stick with Orcon and
    see if they have a 1mbps plan next year, or go with Xtra?

    Andrew

    Andrew Gerald, Nov 25, 2004
  8. On 25 Nov 2004 15:20:54 -0800, Andrew Gerald wrote:

    > The Other Guy <> wrote in message news:<41a63629$>...
    >> "Note: If you are on a minimum term contract for your Telecom JetStream
    >> line fee, moving to Orcon's BitStream service might dishonour this,
    >> causing a disconnection fee. Please check with Telecom before upgrading
    >> if you received 2 free months or a free installation when originally
    >> signing up with Orcon."
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > Yeah I finally get it now. I was under the impression (incorrectly it
    > seems) that when I joined Orcon Jetstream that I was only being billed
    > by Orcon and not partly by Telecom, hence I didn't think transferring
    > to Bitstream would incur a disconnection fee.
    >
    > I talked to Telecom and they said they would credit me this fee if I
    > went back to Xtra. Their 1mbps plan for $44.95 interests me, I'm not
    > too worried about the 1gig limit. I know people generally have a bad
    > opinion of Telecom, but do you reckon I should stick with Orcon and
    > see if they have a 1mbps plan next year, or go with Xtra?
    >
    > Andrew

    Don't go to the dark side. We know that Telecom wants this to happen but
    please don't give them the satisfaction.

    wogers nemesis, Nov 26, 2004