Disconnecting EXACTLY every 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guess Who, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Guess Who

    Guess Who Guest

    I have a Linksys 54G wireless router (latest Firmware) that is disconnecting
    my laptop exactly every 10 minutes. I was using WPA PSK and had no signal
    strength problems or problems staying connected. The laptop is a Toshiba
    SP25-s520 w/built in WiFi 802.11g.

    I switched to WEP because I bought a Phillips stereo system that uses a WiFi
    internet connection (802.11b). That device cannot use WPA, but does use
    WEP, so reconfigured the router for WEP 128 Bit. It seems since switching
    to WEP, I'm having the disconnect problems., and the signal strength seems
    to fluctuate frequently. The stereo, however, seems to stay connected
    constantly.

    I'm on WinXP home w/SP1 (I haven't installed SP2 yet), the router config is
    set up properly, and has not changed (except from WPA to WEP). Is there
    something inherent in WEP to cause these disconnects at set intervals? Is
    there any way to stop this?

    Also, there now seems to be another wireless network that pops up in my
    config. In the wireless setup I have removed it from the auto connect list,
    but it still shows up in the connections list. Can I permanently delete
    this other network?

    Guess Who, Aug 14, 2004

  2. The other network showing is probably one of your neighbors network. hat you
    need to do is switch the channel on the laptop by default I think they use 6
    try changing to 1 or 11. Second go onto to the linksys website and see if
    this is a known issue they might have a firmware update for your router that
    can solve your problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9yZml1cw==?=, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Guess Who

    SAJon Guest

    I have been having the exact same 10 minute disconnect issue with m
    Toshiba laptop and Linksys router. After playing around, I seemed t
    have fixed it by unchecking the ENABLE IEEE802.1x AUTHENITICATION FO
    THIS NETWORK box in the AUTHENTICATION tab (from the PROPERTIES box fo
    my preffered network).
    Good luck! :)

    Guess Who wrote:
    > *I have a Linksys 54G wireless router (latest Firmware) that i
    > disconnecting
    > my laptop exactly every 10 minutes. I was using WPA PSK and had n
    > signal
    > strength problems or problems staying connected. The laptop is
    > Toshiba
    > SP25-s520 w/built in WiFi 802.11g.
    >
    > I switched to WEP because I bought a Phillips stereo system that use
    > a WiFi
    > internet connection (802.11b). That device cannot use WPA, but doe
    > use
    > WEP, so reconfigured the router for WEP 128 Bit. It seems sinc
    > switching
    > to WEP, I'm having the disconnect problems., and the signal strengt
    > seems
    > to fluctuate frequently. The stereo, however, seems to sta
    > connected
    > constantly.
    >
    > I'm on WinXP home w/SP1 (I haven't installed SP2 yet), the route
    > config is
    > set up properly, and has not changed (except from WPA to WEP). I
    > there
    > something inherent in WEP to cause these disconnects at se
    > intervals? Is
    > there any way to stop this?
    >
    > Also, there now seems to be another wireless network that pops up i
    > my
    > config. In the wireless setup I have removed it from the aut
    > connect list,
    > but it still shows up in the connections list. Can I permanentl
    > delete
    > this other network? * :

    -
    SAJo