disconnected

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW8=?=, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. im on a laptop with a wireless connection from a router, but it is
    inconsistent and even when it is connected, when i go to view available
    networks it still says diconnected. what could be the possible problems and
    how could i fix it? thanks, - mike
     
    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW8=?=, Dec 18, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW8=?=

    Malke Guest

    mikeo wrote:

    > im on a laptop with a wireless connection from a router, but it is
    > inconsistent and even when it is connected, when i go to view
    > available networks it still says diconnected. what could be the
    > possible problems and how could i fix it? thanks, - mike


    You haven't given us any information about your hardware, so I can't be
    specific but:

    1. Did the laptop's wireless ever work well? If yes, what changed?

    2. Does the laptop's wireless connect well at a different wireless
    connection, say at a friend's house?

    3. Can a friend's laptop connect well to your wireless router or does it
    exhibit the same symptoms as yours?

    4. In your wireless router's configuration (usually accessed via your
    browser), make sure you are broadcasting the SSID and have applied some
    sort of encryption. Start with at least the 64-bit WEP (in case your
    hardware doesn't support WPA) and make sure the laptop's settings
    match.

    5. Have you got the latest drivers for the laptop's adapter? Are there
    known issues with connectivity with your router and does the mftr.
    suggest upgrading the firmware?

    HTH,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 19, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. my wireless connection at home was perfect, until i took the connection from
    my cable modem out of my router and put it into my xbox, and then tried
    putting it back into the router. now i have the connection going into my
    router with my desktop's internet working perfectly but my laptop is having
    the problem of only connecting temporarily when i click to connect to the
    wireless network. before i had this problem, my laptop would just detect it
    automatically. now my laptop actually detects the excellent signal but most
    often doesn't use it or doesn't register it. i think it is only a problem
    involved with my specific wireless network because my laptop's internet works
    at other places.my router is a g a wireless-g broadband router 2.4 ghz by
    linksys. in terms of hardware, i have all the latest updates and drivers for
    my laptop. but about my router, if that is the issue, where could i download
    a patch or drivers to comply with windows xp professional? thanks so much -
    mike


    "Malke" wrote:

    > You haven't given us any information about your hardware, so I can't be
    > specific but:
    >
    > 1. Did the laptop's wireless ever work well? If yes, what changed?
    >
    > 2. Does the laptop's wireless connect well at a different wireless
    > connection, say at a friend's house?
    >
    > 3. Can a friend's laptop connect well to your wireless router or does it
    > exhibit the same symptoms as yours?
    >
    > 4. In your wireless router's configuration (usually accessed via your
    > browser), make sure you are broadcasting the SSID and have applied some
    > sort of encryption. Start with at least the 64-bit WEP (in case your
    > hardware doesn't support WPA) and make sure the laptop's settings
    > match.
    >
    > 5. Have you got the latest drivers for the laptop's adapter? Are there
    > known issues with connectivity with your router and does the mftr.
    > suggest upgrading the firmware?
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
     
    =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW8=?=, Dec 20, 2004
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZW8=?=

    Malke Guest

    mikeo wrote:

    > my wireless connection at home was perfect, until i took the
    > connection from my cable modem out of my router and put it into my
    > xbox, and then tried putting it back into the router. now i have the
    > connection going into my router with my desktop's internet working
    > perfectly but my laptop is having the problem of only connecting
    > temporarily when i click to connect to the wireless network. before i
    > had this problem, my laptop would just detect it automatically. now my
    > laptop actually detects the excellent signal but most
    > often doesn't use it or doesn't register it. i think it is only a
    > problem involved with my specific wireless network because my laptop's
    > internet works at other places.my router is a g a wireless-g broadband
    > router 2.4 ghz by
    > linksys. in terms of hardware, i have all the latest updates and
    > drivers for
    > my laptop. but about my router, if that is the issue, where could i
    > download a patch or drivers to comply with windows xp professional?
    > thanks so much - mike


    So, you don't have a desktop computer, only a laptop? Or you do have a
    desktop wired to the router (which is wired to the cable modem)? If you
    have a desktop, does it work right? Do you have SP2 on the laptop?

    If you only have the one laptop, try powering off the cable modem and
    then powering off the router. Wait about 30 seconds. Then power on the
    cable modem and then the router.

    Did you change any of the SSID and encryption settings on the router
    when you connected it to the XBox? If so, put them back the way they
    were.

    Then, on the laptop make sure it is set to get its ip address
    automatically (I'm really sure it is) and then go to Start>Run and type

    cmd [enter]
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

    Let me know what happens and we can take it from there.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 20, 2004
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Peter Welk
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    969
    =?Utf-8?B?SmF5Uml6em8=?=
    Jan 2, 2005
  2. anthony james
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,142
  3. Stranger

    Re: Disconnected every 5 minutes

    Stranger, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    451
    Carey Holzman
    Nov 10, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZHJpZnRlcg==?=

    keep getting disconnected

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHJpZnRlcg==?=, Feb 8, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    10,473
    quisher khan
    Jan 7, 2010
  5. Tom Brown

    Status disconnected

    Tom Brown, Apr 4, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,164
    Bob Noble
    Apr 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page