Disconnected Network Drives on Startup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Steve Wright, May 15, 2009.

  1. Steve Wright

    Steve Wright Guest

    Hi

    My Problem:
    Whenever I startup the laptop all drives are listed but disconnected in My
    Computer and I have to access each one in turn to reconnect. They are all
    set up for "Reconnect on logon".

    Background:
    I am using a Toshiba (Satellite Pro) laptop on a Netgear wireless
    network/router (802.11g)
    I have 6 networked drive letters, 2 directed to my desktop PC and the other
    4 to a NAS drive, all on the same network.
    The desktop and NAS drive are wired connections to the router.
    The desktop (nearly) always starts with its drives connected.
    I use Windows XP with service pack 3 installed.

    Is there something I can do, some setting to change, that would force the
    network drives to connect automatically on startup?

    Thanks in anticipation!
    --
    Steve Wright

    Steve Wright, May 15, 2009

  2. It could be 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot or
    safe mode with network. If you still have the same problem, use logon script
    to map the drives.
    Windows general
    How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
    with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
    Start ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), May 15, 2009

  3. Steve Wright

    Pavel A. Guest

    When you access these drives first time after startup,
    do you have to enter some passwords, or is there
    an intolerable delay?
    If not - there's no problem, this is normal behavior.
    Network resources not accessed for long time
    go to "standby" and appear as disconnected in some Windows versions.
    They should auto reconnect on access.

    -- pa

    Pavel A., May 17, 2009