    PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network and the local area connection, which is
    disconnected, is a Broadcom NeteXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller. Is that the
    problem? If so, how do I fix it?

    =?Utf-8?B?TmV0d29yayBJc3N1ZQ==?=, Dec 10, 2006

  2. Hi
    The wired connection should not cause a problem.
    However for a peace of mind you can temporarily disable it in the Device
    manager
    Otherwise it seems that you might have a signal but No real Wireless
    connection.
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htm
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    ..

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 10, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TmV0d29yayBJc3N1ZQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Network Issue wrote:

    > I have a Dell M1710 that is currently connected to the internet
    > through my
    > wireless network. I am having a problem seeing the other computers on
    > my network because my local area connection is saying my network cable
    > is
    > unplugged. My wireless network connection is saying connected via
    > Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network and the local area connection,
    > which is
    > disconnected, is a Broadcom NeteXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller. Is
    > that the
    > problem? If so, how do I fix it?

    That is not the problem. The reason you are seeing the "network cable
    unplugged" is because your ethernet cable is...unplugged. Which you
    want it to be since you are connecting wirelessly.

    Here is my standard cut/paste on difficulties in file/printer sharing:

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers