"Disconnected" but still online

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sla#s, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Sla#s

    Sla#s Guest

    Advice please.
    The two computer icon has disappeared from my machines tray and in 'Network
    Connections' the Broadband connection says it is 'disconnected'.
    But I am still online.
    But more annoyingly a box keeps appearing saying I'm disconnected and tries
    to make a dial up type connection. I've stopped it actually dialling but the
    box
    keeps appearing.
    I've checked that I don't have a dialler

    Windows XP SP2
    Netgear DG834G (via cable)

    I've tried 'System Restore' but it says no changes in the last two weeks.
    (Alas I can't remember exactly when this started but it wasn't that long
    ago)

    TIA
    Slatts

    Sla#s, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Sla#s

    DanR Guest

    Right click on the taskbar and select "properties". Note the checkbox that reads
    "Hide inactive icons". Click on "Customize". Note the setting for your network
    connection. This could be why the icon has disappeared.
    In "Control Panel" click on "Internet Properties". Click tab for "Connections".
    Make sure that "Never dial a connections" is checked or grayed out.
    When your computer "tries" to dial out... do you recognize the phone number it
    is dialing? Have you EVER set up any dial-up connection? I suggest running
    various spyware detectors. MS Antispyware, lavasoft, spybot.
    What exactly does the box read that says you are disconnected?

    DanR, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Sla#s

    Sla#s Guest

    "DanR" <> wrote in message
    > Sla#s wrote:
    >> Advice please.
    >> The two computer icon has disappeared from my machines tray and in
    >> 'Network
    >> Connections' the Broadband connection says it is 'disconnected'.
    >> But I am still online.
    >> But more annoyingly a box keeps appearing saying I'm disconnected and
    >> tries
    >> to make a dial up type connection. I've stopped it actually dialling but
    >> the
    >> box
    >> keeps appearing.
    >> I've checked that I don't have a dialler

    <SNIP>

    > Right click on the taskbar and select "properties". Note the checkbox that
    > reads
    > "Hide inactive icons". Click on "Customize". Note the setting for your
    > network
    > connection. This could be why the icon has disappeared.

    All ready tried that - the icon is not there at all.

    > In "Control Panel" click on "Internet Properties". Click tab for
    > "Connections".
    > Make sure that "Never dial a connections" is checked or grayed out.

    All ready done. But it still tried to connect.

    > When your computer "tries" to dial out... do you recognize the phone
    > number it
    > is dialing?

    THAT'S the weird bit - It's greyed out so I can't tell.

    >Have you EVER set up any dial-up connection?

    Yes, I have a dialup to my provider as an emergency back up but it needs all
    the password details to be entered.
    I have now deleted this and don't get the dialer any more but there is still
    no 'connected' icon in the tray.

    > I suggest running
    > various spyware detectors. MS Antispyware, lavasoft, spybot.

    First thing I did :) no problems there.

    > What exactly does the box read that says you are disconnected?

    "We have detected that you are disconnected from the internet.... (can't
    remember the rest.).

    Apart form there being no tray icon the problem has gone.

    Thanks
    Slatts

    Sla#s, Sep 25, 2005