    Nowhere Guest

    How much disc space should be free to allow proper working of an XP? How
    much can My Documents hold?

    Nowhere, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Nowhere

    Borsaid Guest

    If you are running with less than a gigabyte of free space left on your
    primary hard drive, it's time to start seriously considering a larger
    storage solution, cleaning your drive of unused files and programs. The
    amount your My Documents folder can contain is limitless, to a point
    where your hard drive can not hold anymore. Typical home users, unless
    storing mass amounts of images, will not take up a considerable amount
    of space with typical word documents. Hope that helps.

    --
    --The Computer Doctors
    Serving Southern New England

    Borsaid, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Nowhere

    Nowhere Guest

    Thank you...

    Nowhere, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Nowhere

    Pennywise Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:04:24 -0000, "Nowhere"
    <> wrote:

    |>How much disc space should be free to allow proper working of an XP?

    Enough for your swap file + 100megs; 100 megs, as windows starts
    complaining about low disk space at that point. fragmentation would be
    awful, but it would work properly.

    |>How much can My Documents hold?

    A good rule of thumb is 256.
    No directory path greater than that (chrs).
    No more directories (root or otherwise) than that.

    XP flaunts the rule in some areas, but any other OS, keeping to the
    rule stops some odd ball problems. I find it best to stick to it.

    Pennywise, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Nowhere

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    | How much disc space should be free to allow proper working of an XP? How
    | much can My Documents hold?

    I have a different philosphy about drives. I've found that anytime my hard
    drive is more than 90% full, it seems to be slowing down noticably. So, on a
    40 gig drive, I try not to let it get down to less than 4 or 5 gig free
    space.

    Also, while I haven't experienced this, I've read many reports where users
    have begun to have serious problems when "My Documents" is overloaded. There
    appears to be no "magic number" for this, but I've moved "My Received
    Files", "My Music" and "My Pictures" out of "My Documents" since they are
    the most populated folders I have (combined total of over 10 gigabytes). I
    also try to keep a simple filing system in place - in "My Documents" I have
    a folder for "Excel", a folder for "Word", etc., rather than just dumping
    everything in one place.

    These are mostly my preferences and personal observations, so take it for
    what you think it's worth ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 17, 2004