Disc formatting question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VK, Mar 20, 2010.

  1. VK

    VK Guest

    Have just added a new hard drive. In Windows 7 Computer Management its
    called Disc 1 and that is split into 2 bits:-

    System Reserved with no letter allocation xx MB NTFS, Healthy (System,
    Active, Primary Partition), and
    (C:) xx GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    ....and that's fine.

    But also I still have the old hard drive connected which I want to keep as
    slave. At the mo its called Disc 0 and split into 3 bits:-

    System Reserved (E:) xx MB NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition), and
    New Volume (F:) xx GB NTFS, and
    xx GB Unallocated

    I formatted both the E and the F and the F is all free space but the E seems
    to be only 86% free?
    ....but in any case what I want to do is retain the Unallocated bit as is and
    merge the two drives E and F into one empty drive called E.
    How to? Thanks.

    VK, Mar 20, 2010

  2. VK

    VK Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > VK wrote:
    >> Have just added a new hard drive. In Windows 7 Computer Management its
    >> called Disc 1 and that is split into 2 bits:-
    >>
    >> System Reserved with no letter allocation xx MB NTFS, Healthy (System,
    >> Active, Primary Partition), and
    >> (C:) xx GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    >> ...and that's fine.
    >>
    >> But also I still have the old hard drive connected which I want to keep
    >> as slave. At the mo its called Disc 0 and split into 3 bits:-
    >>
    >> System Reserved (E:) xx MB NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition), and
    >> New Volume (F:) xx GB NTFS, and
    >> xx GB Unallocated
    >>
    >> I formatted both the E and the F and the F is all free space but the E
    >> seems to be only 86% free?
    >> ...but in any case what I want to do is retain the Unallocated bit as is
    >> and merge the two drives E and F into one empty drive called E.
    >> How to? Thanks.
    >>

    > Use disk management and delete *all* partitions on that drive...
    > then simply create one partition of the desired size

    ===============
    excellent tvm..that did it :)

    VK, Mar 20, 2010

  3. VK

    chuckcar Guest

    "VK" <> wrote in news:ho2b6r$vll$:

    > Have just added a new hard drive. In Windows 7 Computer Management its
    > called Disc 1 and that is split into 2 bits:-
    >
    > System Reserved with no letter allocation xx MB NTFS, Healthy (System,
    > Active, Primary Partition), and
    > (C:) xx GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary
    > Partition) ...and that's fine.
    >
    > But also I still have the old hard drive connected which I want to
    > keep as slave. At the mo its called Disc 0 and split into 3 bits:-
    >
    > System Reserved (E:) xx MB NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition),
    > and New Volume (F:) xx GB NTFS, and
    > xx GB Unallocated
    >
    > I formatted both the E and the F and the F is all free space but the E
    > seems to be only 86% free?
    > ...but in any case what I want to do is retain the Unallocated bit as
    > is and merge the two drives E and F into one empty drive called E.
    > How to? Thanks.

    Entirely possible you have bad sectors. Repartiioning *may* fix it
    temporarily, but running a chkdsk on the drive and a *full* scan for
    bad sectors is recommended. Certainly do both before putting anything on
    it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 20, 2010
  4. VK

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:26:17 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Repartiioning

    WTF???????

    Aardvark, Mar 20, 2010
  5. VK

    freemont Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:26:17 +0000, chuckcar writ:

    > Entirely possible you have bad sectors blah blah blah

    Question was answered and verified already, Tard. FOUR HOURS AGO.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:

    freemont, Mar 20, 2010