    DVD results in a black screen. The initial blue setup screen isn't shown.

    Are there any keyboard options I can press so get to the recovery console or
    any other way to run chkdsk to repair my disc?
    =?Utf-8?B?SmVyb2Vu?=, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Are you an MSDN subscriber trying to boot the ISO from the DVD? If so, it
    will not work, you need to burn the XP x64 ISO to a CD-ROM and then boot
    from the disk.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 29, 2005

  3. No, I bought a copy of Windows XP Pro x64 and i'm trying to boot of that DVD
    (which fails, the system hangs before seeing the blue setup text screen)

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVyb2Vu?=, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Where did you buy this Windows on DVD?

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 29, 2005
  5. From a computer supplies shop (where else...) , it's a original windows XP
    DVD which crashes probably while trying to access the NTFS drive which is
    corrupt (C:)

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVyb2Vu?=, Dec 30, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmVyb2Vu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have it on a DVD, it is probably a copy. As Andre mentioned you
    need to make a bootable CD if you want to install it. You probably don't
    have drivers for a bootable DVD

    John Barnes, Dec 30, 2005
  7. No it's not a copy. It's a bootable DVD, BIOS supports booting of DVD,
    bootdevice is set to DVD-drive in the BIOS, the DVD actually boots. Is see
    the message " Setup is inspecting your computer" for about a microsecond and
    then setup crashes. My guess it is caused by the corrupted hard drive or a
    driver conflict. Either way I need to if there is something like a safe mode
    for the setup like when starting regular windows using some key combination
    or any other way to get the recovery console started.

    BTW. I'm a software developer for quite some years now (started with a PC
    with dos 3.1), so I know what I'm doing and know how to boot a DVD.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVyb2Vu?=, Dec 30, 2005