    on the system, the drive is still fully accessible but even allow the check
    to take place still brings it back next start up.

    Any ideas for an old dog at the end of his leash

    Lucy Explainin, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Lucy Explainin

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:41:06 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <> wrote:

    >I would so love to know why (and how to stop) my xp home box running a 'disc
    >consistancy check' in the form of an error on startup. Nothing has changed
    >on the system, the drive is still fully accessible but even allow the check
    >to take place still brings it back next start up.
    >
    >Any ideas for an old dog at the end of his leash

    Convert the disk to NTFS.

    start | help | convert

    Derek

    derek / nul, Feb 1, 2004

  3. "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    "Convert the disk to NTFS."

    It already is :)

    Lucy Explainin, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Lucy Explainin

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <> wrote:

    >"derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    >"Convert the disk to NTFS."
    >
    >It already is :)

    It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk.

    derek / nul, Feb 1, 2004
  5. "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <> wrote:

    " It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk."

    That would be interesting as it's 120gb 2 partitions. C:\ and D:\

    Machine boots from c flawlessly and fingers d as a problem.

    Lucy Explainin, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Lucy Explainin

    Thor Guest

    wrote:

    > " It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk."
    >
    > That would be interesting as it's 120gb 2 partitions. C:\ and D:\
    >
    > Machine boots from c flawlessly and fingers d as a problem.

    The problem could lie in the area partitioned and formatted as your D:\.
    Just because it is a single *physical* drive doesn't mean it has to have
    problems on all partitions at once.

    Thor, Feb 1, 2004
  7. "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >"The problem could lie in the area partitioned and formatted as your D:\.
    > Just because it is a single *physical* drive doesn't mean it has to have
    > problems on all partitions at once."

    Methinks a run of some reasonable disc utility should pick this up. Any
    recommendations?

    Lucy Explainin, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Lucy Explainin

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >"The problem could lie in the area partitioned and formatted as your D:\.
    > > Just because it is a single *physical* drive doesn't mean it has to have
    > > problems on all partitions at once."

    > Methinks a run of some reasonable disc utility should pick this up. Any
    > recommendations?

    First look at this KB article.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316506&Product=winxp

    Also try manually scheduling a full disk check via the tools section of the
    harddrive properties. Use the "scan and recover bad sectors" option.

    Thor, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Lucy Explainin

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:07:02 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <>
    wrote:

    >"derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <> wrote:

    >" It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk."
    >
    >That would be interesting as it's 120gb 2 partitions. C:\ and D:\
    >
    >Machine boots from c flawlessly and fingers d as a problem.

    Change the driver letters for any cd/dvd drives you might have.

    W for writer...R for reader...other letters if necessary near the end
    of the alphabet.

    Optimize the registry if you haven't done so lately.

    Also, if you have Partition Magic, check that partition with it.

    Check Event Viewer, too...for clues.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent