    Mode first.
    Can some please clarify which option should be used first.
    Thanks

    dgg, Aug 20, 2006

  2. I think it depends on the specific situation. If you install a new
    application and the new application causes a problem on the computer then
    Last Known Good Configuration (LKGC) will remove the registry settings made
    by the new application and restore the registry to the way it was right
    after the last successful login.

    From one my of practice tests:

    You are a desktop support technician for your company. Sarah uses a Windows
    XP Professional computer for word processing, spreadsheet and e-mail
    applications. Recently, Sarah received a promotion. The added
    responsibilities require that she use a database application. You install
    the new application on Sarah's computer. Immediately after you install the
    application, Sarah's computer displays a stop error. You need to remove the
    changes that the application installation has made to the Registry so that
    her computer will function normally. Which of the following procedures
    should you use to remove the entries from the Registry on Sarah's computer?

    1. You should restart the computer.
    2. You should restart the computer in Safe Mode.
    3. You should restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
    4. You should restart the computer in Safe Mode and use Device Driver Roll
    Back.
    5. You should restart the computer by using the Last Known Good
    Configuration.

    Mark

    "dgg" <> wrote in message
    > Could someone please help here.
    > The MSCST exam covers disater recovery
    > Im a bit confused as to which disater recovery tool should be used when
    > dealing with start up problems by using (Safe Mode or LKGC.)
    > My Nuggetts video tells me as a general rule to try LKGC first if there

    is
    > a problem starting and then if not work try Safe Mode to get things up and
    > running. Glenn in Microsoft Press book states the opposite (2:50) try safe
    > mode first as LKGC can alter some system settings so for this reason try

    Safe

    Mark Hatfield, Aug 20, 2006

  3. dgg

    dgg Guest

    Thanks for that Mark.
    Having looked at the alternatives in the answer I may have gone for Safe
    Mode had the question not referred to registry settings. Safe Mode is
    recommended for being able to revert problems connected with applications and
    drivers but I'm not sure if it also reverts registry settings as well. ?

    dgg, Aug 20, 2006
  4. Starting a Windows XP computer in Safe Mode will not make any changes to the
    registry.

    Mark

    Mark Hatfield, Aug 21, 2006