    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Slarty Bartfast

    Simon Geary Guest

    You can use the Windows 2000 recovery console on NT 4.0 to overwrite the SAM
    and security hives of the new PDC.

    "Slarty Bartfast" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to put together a Disaster Recovery plan. It is just about
    > finished but...
    > One scenario I would like to plan for is the worst case where we have a

    fire
    > and lose everything except the backup tapes that are stored off-site.
    > We have a mixed mode Win2k DC and two NT4 BDC's. The Exchange 5.5 mail
    > server is on one of the NT4 Servers.
    > Say all the hardware is destroyed - I re-create an NT4 Server PDC with new
    > hardware (from the insurance company)
    > I would have the SAM on an ERD disk, but my question is, how to get the

    user

    Simon Geary, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Slarty Bartfast

    Tornado Guest

    The way i used to do it was this.

    Do a Complete backup of the NT4 BDC System/Boot Partition Files,
    Load Your new Server as a stand alone server and put the system files in
    c:\winnt2 when you install nt4,
    Completely retore your backup using the same paths as when you backed up (ie
    c:\winnt)
    check that the boot ini is pointing to where it should be
    reboot, remove the winnt2 folder and bobs your uncle :D

    This will give you back the registry all users etc.... just like it was before
    the fire

    Tornado, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Thanks Simon and Tornado,

    The Windows 2000 recovery console looked a bit complicated for the moment,
    and Tornado's suggestion will make more sense when I try to put it into
    practice.

    I came across this MS KBA 139822
    It is really for NT3, but I thought I would give it a try because it looked
    pretty easy. It didn't work - but it's odd that mucking around with the
    registry like this didn't even cause a hickup - everything was the same as
    before.

    I suppose I will have to try Tornado's suggestion now...

    ====================

    1) From the original computer you need a tape backup of the registry and all
    other files you want to transfer.

    2) Partition and drive information should be set up the same as the original
    computer. However, the primary partition should be a FAT partition and
    initially Windows NT should be installed onto a FAT partition (it can be
    converted later). Use the same computer name and domain name as the computer
    that is being replaced.

    3) Create a directory off the root called CNFGTEST. From the backup set
    restore the Registry (%SystemRoot%\system32\config directory) to C:\CNFGTEST
    on the hard drive.

    4) Delete SYSTEM.* and *.EVT files from C:\CNFGTEST.
    NOTE: These files must be deleted in order to remove hardware specific
    information.

    5) Boot to DOS and copy the remaining files from C:\CNFGTEST to the current
    %SystemRoot%\system32\config directory.
    NOTE: You cannot replace SAM or Security hives while Windows NT is running.

    6) Reboot the computer and make sure that everything is functioning in
    Windows NT. When you restart user accounts should be in place.

    --

    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Hi Tornado,

    Excuse my ignorance, but when you say, "Do a Complete backup of the NT4 BDC
    System/Boot Partition Files"
    Do you mean the ENTIRE C:\WINNT directory? Or just the files that you would
    need for say, an NT boot disk?

    IE;
    boot.ini
    chkdsk.exe
    Ntdetect.com
    ntldr
    Winsrv.dll

    There would seem to be a lot of rubbish in that old directory unique to the
    old hardware.
    --
    Regards

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Sep 9, 2003
  6. Slarty Bartfast

    Marko Guest

    Sorry about the tardy reply.

    Have a look at the disaster recovery solutions / advice
    given at the www.veritas.com site. Their Backup Exec
    product will provide all the data restoration ability you
    are likely to need and they provide scenarios that can
    form the basis of a good solution for you.

    Regards

    Marko

    Marko, Sep 10, 2003