"Disaster profiteers" will be remembered once Japan is back

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Apr 10, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Those who profited hugely because of production disruptions due to the
    Japanese earthquake and nuclear accident.
    This isn't like a retailer making extra money because a company
    couldn't produce fast enough, that would be fine. It's happened in
    many cases, such as with Nikon's 18-200mm and with the Fuji X100
    recently.
    Who does it hurt?
    -The consumer, who pays much higher prices than they should and may
    develop an unfavourable opinion of a mfg. thinking beyond inflationary
    pricing increases are normal with the mfg.
    -The manufacturer for the perception created (above) and for the fact
    they get nothing more than their normal price, if they in-fact held
    the price line when the disaster happened.
    The vulture-visaged retailers who are jacking up prices by 20-30% WILL
    be catalogued and their pricing tactics documented and this list will
    appear in most photographic venues LONG after the Japanese are back to
    normal. I hope their fleeting, grasping attitude over a disaster they
    considered a windfall will counterbalance the bad press.

    RichA, Apr 10, 2011

  2. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 08:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

    > Those who profited hugely because of production disruptions due to the
    > Japanese earthquake and nuclear accident.
    > This isn't like a retailer making extra money because a company
    > couldn't produce fast enough, that would be fine. It's happened in
    > many cases, such as with Nikon's 18-200mm and with the Fuji X100
    > recently.
    > Who does it hurt?
    > -The consumer, who pays much higher prices than they should and may
    > develop an unfavourable opinion of a mfg. thinking beyond inflationary
    > pricing increases are normal with the mfg.
    > -The manufacturer for the perception created (above) and for the fact
    > they get nothing more than their normal price, if they in-fact held
    > the price line when the disaster happened.
    > The vulture-visaged retailers who are jacking up prices by 20-30% WILL
    > be catalogued and their pricing tactics documented and this list will
    > appear in most photographic venues LONG after the Japanese are back to
    > normal. I hope their fleeting, grasping attitude over a disaster they
    > considered a windfall will counterbalance the bad press.

    Tell it to the oil companies.

    Irwell, Apr 10, 2011

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/10/2011 12:45 PM, Irwell wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 08:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
    >
    >> Those who profited hugely because of production disruptions due to the
    >> Japanese earthquake and nuclear accident.
    >> This isn't like a retailer making extra money because a company
    >> couldn't produce fast enough, that would be fine. It's happened in
    >> many cases, such as with Nikon's 18-200mm and with the Fuji X100
    >> recently.
    >> Who does it hurt?
    >> -The consumer, who pays much higher prices than they should and may
    >> develop an unfavourable opinion of a mfg. thinking beyond inflationary
    >> pricing increases are normal with the mfg.
    >> -The manufacturer for the perception created (above) and for the fact
    >> they get nothing more than their normal price, if they in-fact held
    >> the price line when the disaster happened.
    >> The vulture-visaged retailers who are jacking up prices by 20-30% WILL
    >> be catalogued and their pricing tactics documented and this list will
    >> appear in most photographic venues LONG after the Japanese are back to
    >> normal. I hope their fleeting, grasping attitude over a disaster they
    >> considered a windfall will counterbalance the bad press.

    > Tell it to the oil companies.

    Last time I looked upgrading any camera is not a necessity of life. If
    the price is too high, don't buy. Continue using your old. This will
    create less demand and the prices will come down for the whose equipment
    wears out.

    It seems to me that the original poster's comment is pure communistic
    propaganda.
    \

    --
    Peter