    Jim

    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

    James D Andrews, Jul 14, 2011

  2. James D Andrews

    Ragnar Guest

    In Explorer, Tools / Folder Options ... / File Types and find the extension
    you want to change or delete.
    (I hope I have understood your question correctly).
    HTH
    Ragnar

    Ragnar, Jul 15, 2011

  3. Ragnar embroidered on the monitor :
    > In Explorer, Tools / Folder Options ... / File Types and find the extension
    > you want to change or delete.
    > (I hope I have understood your question correctly).
    > HTH
    > Ragnar

    I appreciate it, but I don't think so unless I misunderstand the Delete
    function.

    Using Explorer/Tools/Folder Options, you can change the file extension
    association either for once or for all openings of programs with that
    file extension.

    Now, this is the part that gets me confused.
    If you use .../Folder Options and Delete that extension, doesn't it
    remove the file extension completely? (which requires essentially for
    the program to reload that extension when it tries to use it later).

    My problem is specifically with the file extension .bak - seems I have
    several programs that use .bak for their backup files. Unfortunately,
    one or the other program is associated with it and won't let the others
    share like nice little boys and girls. I can take it away and give it
    to someone else, but then that program doesn't share, either.

    There must be some way to resolve this, but I'm banging my head against
    the keyboard here.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

    James D Andrews, Jul 15, 2011
  4. James D Andrews

    Ragnar Guest

    > Ragnar embroidered on the monitor :
    >> In Explorer, Tools / Folder Options ... / File Types and find the
    >> extension you want to change or delete.
    >> (I hope I have understood your question correctly).
    >> HTH
    >> Ragnar

    > I appreciate it, but I don't think so unless I misunderstand the Delete
    > function.
    >
    > Using Explorer/Tools/Folder Options, you can change the file extension
    > association either for once or for all openings of programs with that file
    > extension.
    >
    > Now, this is the part that gets me confused.
    > If you use .../Folder Options and Delete that extension, doesn't it remove
    > the file extension completely? (which requires essentially for the program
    > to reload that extension when it tries to use it later).

    No worries. 'Delete' merely removes the file association from the list. It
    does not change the extension or remove it from file names.
    R.

    Ragnar, Jul 15, 2011
  5. Ragnar banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> Ragnar embroidered on the monitor :
    >>> In Explorer, Tools / Folder Options ... / File Types and find the
    >>> extension you want to change or delete.
    >>> (I hope I have understood your question correctly).
    >>> HTH
    >>> Ragnar

    >> I appreciate it, but I don't think so unless I misunderstand the Delete
    >> function.
    >>
    >> Using Explorer/Tools/Folder Options, you can change the file extension
    >> association either for once or for all openings of programs with that file
    >> extension.
    >>
    >> Now, this is the part that gets me confused.
    >> If you use .../Folder Options and Delete that extension, doesn't it remove
    >> the file extension completely? (which requires essentially for the program
    >> to reload that extension when it tries to use it later).
    >>

    > No worries. 'Delete' merely removes the file association from the list. It
    > does not change the extension or remove it from file names.
    > R.

    Gotcha. I'll give it a try.
    Thanks

    --