    Has anyone pulled one of these apart? I can find uses for the other
    three cells... and might even replace the bad one to give me a spare on
    plane trips, etc.

    Ike, May 24, 2006

  2. Ike

    thanatoid Guest

    Frosty <> wrote in
    news::

    > On or about Tue, 23 May 2006 19:20:59 -0700, an entity
    > identified as Ike <> proudly proclaimed:
    >
    >>My notebook's battery is marked "14.8V" but measures 11.1V
    >>under load, and since they're Li-Ion at 3.7V each, I assume
    >>it's four cells with one is bad.
    >>
    >>Has anyone pulled one of these apart? I can find uses for
    >>the other three cells... and might even replace the bad one
    >>to give me a spare on plane trips, etc.

    > I never have, but it seems like it oughta be possible,
    > after all a "battery" is a bunch of cells all put together
    > in a -uh- battery.
    >
    > SilverMan

    The output of batteries depending upon load may vary as much as
    the device's range of acceptable current. Most 12V devices, for
    instance, will run at between 10 and 16 with no problems.

    I would guess everything is fine. If it works, why worry?

    I'll bet if you connected your computer to a car battery it
    would run just fine as well.

    Why do you think almost every single laptop/notebook ever made
    (including those by the same manufacturers) have different power
    supplies (although often identically rated), batteries, and
    plugs?

    Some of which you can only replace by buying another unit?

    An anecdote, not totally irrelevant:

    A friend of mine once brought a stereo from another continent to
    the USA and it worked fine but at higher volumes it had a slight
    distortion. It never even occurred to me to look at the back (I
    considered my friend an intelligent person who would have done
    this before plugging it in), but after consulting a friendly
    technician it turned out the unit was STILL SET TO 240 V !!!!

    It blew a fuse after we switched it to 120 V (I guess it was
    surprised) but worked perfectly for years afterwards.

    FWIW, I would not recommend disassembling a battery. (I KNOW
    you're just DYING to do it.)

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #22
    Give yourself until about 30. If things don't get rolling by

    thanatoid, May 24, 2006

  3. Ike

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Tue, 23 May 2006 19:20:59 -0700, an entity identified as
    Ike <> proudly proclaimed:

    >My notebook's battery is marked "14.8V" but measures 11.1V under load,
    >and since they're Li-Ion at 3.7V each, I assume it's four cells with one
    >is bad.
    >
    >Has anyone pulled one of these apart? I can find uses for the other
    >three cells... and might even replace the bad one to give me a spare on
    >plane trips, etc.

    I never have, but it seems like it oughta be possible, after all a
    "battery" is a bunch of cells all put together in a -uh- battery.

    SilverMan
    --

    Real debate; No bullshit.

    & http://halebobb.com

    Frosty, May 24, 2006
  4. Ike

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 04:24:44 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Disassembling a notebook battery
    > From: thanatoid <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 24 May 2006 04:24:44 GMT
    >
    > Frosty <> wrote in
    >
    >> On or about Tue, 23 May 2006 19:20:59 -0700, an entity identified as Ike
    >> <> proudly proclaimed:
    >>
    >>>My notebook's battery is marked "14.8V" but measures 11.1V under load,
    >>>and since they're Li-Ion at 3.7V each, I assume it's four cells with one
    >>>is bad.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone pulled one of these apart? I can find uses for the other
    >>>three cells... and might even replace the bad one to give me a spare on
    >>>plane trips, etc.

    >> I never have, but it seems like it oughta be possible, after all a
    >> "battery" is a bunch of cells all put together in a -uh- battery.
    >>
    >> SilverMan

    > The output of batteries depending upon load may vary as much as the
    > device's range of acceptable current. Most 12V devices, for instance, will
    > run at between 10 and 16 with no problems.
    >
    > I would guess everything is fine.

    I would guess everything isn't fine or the OP wouldn't want to tear his
    battery apart.

    Meat Plow, May 24, 2006
  5. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > I would guess everything isn't fine or the OP wouldn't want to tear his
    > battery apart.

    It's NOT fine. Runtime went from 2.4 hours down to 30 minutes. Since
    they're lithium, they have a flat discharge rate. My guess is that the
    notebook senses CRITICAL at about the 14.8-3.7 = 11.1V point, indicating
    one bad cell.

    And whoever mentioned that a notebook would run fine on a car's battery
    was right - my various notebooks have for years. But I built a filter so
    the notebook doesn't see all the spikes and crap typically in the car's
    power.

    Ike, May 24, 2006
  6. Ike

    NotMe Guest

    "Ike" <> wrote in message
    | Meat Plow wrote:
    |
    | > I would guess everything isn't fine or the OP wouldn't want to tear his
    | > battery apart.
    | >

    | It's NOT fine. Runtime went from 2.4 hours down to 30 minutes. Since
    | they're lithium, they have a flat discharge rate. My guess is that the
    | notebook senses CRITICAL at about the 14.8-3.7 = 11.1V point, indicating
    | one bad cell.
    |
    | And whoever mentioned that a notebook would run fine on a car's battery
    | was right - my various notebooks have for years. But I built a filter so
    | the notebook doesn't see all the spikes and crap typically in the car's
    | power.

    As a practical matter the remaining cells are likely on the way out as well.
    You could get a few more cycles by replacing the bad cells but the
    remaining cells will be dying sooner and will accelerate the deterioration
    of the new cells. Best to replace them all.

    NotMe, May 26, 2006