    brings up even more. With IE 6 SP2 Google Toolbar, all the ads are totally
    blocked:

    http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm
    History Fan, Aug 3, 2005

  2. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    I wasn't very clear in the 1st sentence of my post. I meant to say
    that the Google Toolbar (version 3) installed on my IE 6 SP2 browser works
    better than the Firefox pop-up blocker. The built-in blocker with IE 6 SP2
    is very sub-par, IMO.

    History Fan, Aug 3, 2005

  3. History Fan

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *History Fan* wrote:
    > I hate to say this, but the pop-up blocker installed on my IE 6 SP2
    > browser works better than Firefox's built in pop-up blocker. I even
    > installed the Ad-block extension, but that doesn't prevent the ad window
    > from popping up, it just removes the images and text in the window. Below
    > is a URL with a huge amount of pop-up ads. Clicking on the small thumbnails
    > brings up even more. With IE 6 SP2 Google Toolbar, all the ads are totally
    > blocked:
    >
    > http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm

    I don't get any popup's, only the blocker icon appears and tells me
    there is popup's that are blocked. Of course, I have the Mozilla Suite
    and not Firefox, but no third party blocker (as also Google Toolbar
    is). I usually also browse with flash "turned off" and it may be that
    Ad-block can't stop popup's that use the flash plugin in the browser.

    --
    /Arne
    My "widget" site: http://hem.bredband.net/arnel/
    Arne, Aug 3, 2005
  4. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I wasn't very clear in the 1st sentence of my post. I meant to say
    > that the Google Toolbar (version 3) installed on my IE 6 SP2 browser works
    > better than the Firefox pop-up blocker. The built-in blocker with IE 6 SP2
    > is very sub-par, IMO.
    >
    > "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I hate to say this, but the pop-up blocker installed on my IE 6 SP2
    >>browser works better than Firefox's built in pop-up blocker. I even
    >>installed the Ad-block extension, but that doesn't prevent the ad window
    >>from popping up, it just removes the images and text in the window. Below
    >>is a URL with a huge amount of pop-up ads. Clicking on the small
    >>thumbnails brings up even more. With IE 6 SP2 Google Toolbar, all the ads
    >>are totally blocked:
    >>
    >>http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm

    In Mozilla Suite I get exactly one pop up on that site. After updating
    my HOSTS file with the latest from

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    I got zero pop ups. It's possible that listings in my HOSTS file prior
    to update blocked some of what you're seeing.

    On examining the page info for links it's not clear whether the
    multitude of internal links are ad related. The only external links I
    see are three javascripts running from:

    burstnet.com
    ad.yieldmanager.com
    googlesyndication.com

    all of which are ad-related. The only one I got prior to updating my
    HOSTS file was from ad.yieldmanager.com.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 3, 2005
  5. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I hate to say this, but the pop-up blocker installed on my IE 6 SP2
    > browser works better than Firefox's built in pop-up blocker. I even
    > installed the Ad-block extension, but that doesn't prevent the ad window
    > from popping up, it just removes the images and text in the window. Below
    > is a URL with a huge amount of pop-up ads. Clicking on the small thumbnails
    > brings up even more. With IE 6 SP2 Google Toolbar, all the ads are totally
    > blocked:
    >
    > http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm

    No pop-ups on this end.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Aug 3, 2005
  6. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    History Fan, Aug 3, 2005
  7. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:53:49 GMT, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    >History Fan wrote:
    >> I hate to say this, but the pop-up blocker installed on my IE 6 SP2
    >> browser works better than Firefox's built in pop-up blocker. I even
    >> installed the Ad-block extension, but that doesn't prevent the ad window
    >> from popping up, it just removes the images and text in the window. Below
    >> is a URL with a huge amount of pop-up ads. Clicking on the small thumbnails
    >> brings up even more. With IE 6 SP2 Google Toolbar, all the ads are totally
    >> blocked:
    >>
    >> http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm
    >>

    >No pop-ups on this end.

    I'm running Firefox v1.0.6. I get a whole piss-pot of pop-ups. What
    are you doing differently?

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

    Jim Thompson, Aug 3, 2005
  8. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    >>No pop-ups on this end.
    >
    > I'm running Firefox v1.0.6. I get a whole piss-pot of pop-ups. What
    > are you doing differently?

    That's what I'd like to know. The URL I posted bombards me with ads
    when I use Firefox.
    History Fan, Aug 3, 2005
  9. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:17:46 -0400, "History Fan"
    <> wrote:

    >>>No pop-ups on this end.

    >> I'm running Firefox v1.0.6. I get a whole piss-pot of pop-ups. What
    >> are you doing differently?
    >>

    > That's what I'd like to know. The URL I posted bombards me with ads
    >when I use Firefox.

    Anyone using Stopzilla with Firefox ??

    ...Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson, Aug 3, 2005
  10. History Fan

    MLC Guest

    Il Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:51:28 -0400, History Fan ha scritto:

    >>> http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm

    >> No pop-ups on this end.
    >>

    > Did you click on various thumbnail images?

    I did, and no popups. Neither warnings about popups.

    --
    Maria Luisa C - 03/08/2005 19.35.12
    Allied Force <-> Oil-led farce <-> Farce! Old lie!
    MLC, Aug 3, 2005
  11. History Fan

    Jim Lahue Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    >>>No pop-ups on this end.

    >>I'm running Firefox v1.0.6. I get a whole piss-pot of pop-ups. What
    >>are you doing differently?
    >>

    > That's what I'd like to know. The URL I posted bombards me with ads
    > when I use Firefox.

    I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).

    I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.

    Jim Lahue
    Jim Lahue, Aug 3, 2005
  12. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    <_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    >>>I'm running Firefox v1.0.6. I get a whole piss-pot of pop-ups. What
    >>>are you doing differently?
    >>>

    >> That's what I'd like to know. The URL I posted bombards me with ads
    >> when I use Firefox.
    >>

    >I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    >Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).
    >
    >I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.
    >
    >Jim Lahue

    Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.

    What is the downside of disabling JavaScript, or Java?

    ...Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson, Aug 3, 2005
  13. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:08:35 -0700, Jim Thompson
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    ><_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    >>> That's what I'd like to know. The URL I posted bombards me with ads
    >>> when I use Firefox.
    >>>

    >>I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    >>Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).
    >>
    >>I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.
    >>
    >>Jim Lahue

    >Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.
    >
    >What is the downside of disabling JavaScript, or Java?
    >
    > ...Jim Thompson

    My bank account doesn't work with JavaScript disabled.

    Is there a site-by-site setup for allowing JavaScript?

    ...Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson, Aug 3, 2005
  14. History Fan

    MLC Guest

    Il Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:08:35 -0700, Jim Thompson ha scritto:

    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    > <_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    >>> That's what I'd like to know. The URL I posted bombards me with ads
    >>> when I use Firefox.

    >>I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    >>Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).
    >>
    >>I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.
    >>
    >>Jim Lahue

    > Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.

    I don't think so: I have JavaScript enabled, and no popups,

    --
    Maria Luisa C - 03/08/2005 20.24.20
    Neurotics build castles in the air. Psychotics live in them,
    MLC, Aug 3, 2005
  15. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:27:03 GMT, MLC <> wrote:

    >Il Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:08:35 -0700, Jim Thompson ha scritto:
    >
    >> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    >> <_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    >>>I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    >>>Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).
    >>>
    >>>I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.
    >>>
    >>>Jim Lahue

    >> Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.

    >I don't think so: I have JavaScript enabled, and no popups,

    I disabled Java... still had the pop-ups.

    Then disable JavaScript... no pop-ups.

    Are you clicking on the thumbnails? Nothing happens unless you click
    on a thumbnail.

    ...Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson, Aug 3, 2005
  16. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    >>>http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm

    >>No pop-ups on this end.
    >>

    > Did you click on various thumbnail images?

    Yes, quite striking but no pop-ups.

    Old Gringo, Aug 3, 2005
  17. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    Jim Thompson wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:53:49 GMT, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>History Fan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hate to say this, but the pop-up blocker installed on my IE 6 SP2
    >>>browser works better than Firefox's built in pop-up blocker. I even
    >>>installed the Ad-block extension, but that doesn't prevent the ad window
    >>>from popping up, it just removes the images and text in the window. Below
    >>>is a URL with a huge amount of pop-up ads. Clicking on the small thumbnails
    >>>brings up even more. With IE 6 SP2 Google Toolbar, all the ads are totally
    >>>blocked:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.celebguru.com/gallery-RosannaArquette-1.htm
    >>>

    >>No pop-ups on this end.

    > I'm running Firefox v1.0.6. I get a whole piss-pot of pop-ups. What
    > are you doing differently?
    >
    > ...Jim Thompson

    Don't have a clue, under web features I have block pop-ups checked.
    Other than that I don't know. ??

    Old Gringo, Aug 3, 2005
  18. History Fan

    Old Gringo Guest

    MLC wrote:
    > Il Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:08:35 -0700, Jim Thompson ha scritto:
    >

    >>On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    >><_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    >>>I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    >>>Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).
    >>>
    >>>I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.
    >>>
    >>>Jim Lahue

    >>Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.

    > I don't think so: I have JavaScript enabled, and no popups,

    Same here.

    Old Gringo, Aug 3, 2005
  19. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    MLC wrote:
    > Il Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:08:35 -0700, Jim Thompson ha scritto:
    >

    >>On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    >><_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    >>>I used Firefox v1.0.6 to look at that site and I got no pop-ups (using
    >>>Netscape 7.2, I saw pop-ups).
    >>>
    >>>I don't have Java enabled and I don't have the flash extension installed.
    >>>
    >>>Jim Lahue

    >>Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.

    > I don't think so: I have JavaScript enabled, and no popups,

    As I indicated in my previous reply, the only ad-related links I could
    find were external ones for javascript. I DO have js enabled but I have
    the ad domains blocked in a HOSTS file at the OS level. Hence, I get no
    popups.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Law of Probability Dispersal: Whatever it is that hits the fan will not
    be evenly distributed.
    Ed Mullen, Aug 3, 2005
  20. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:40:34 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >MLC wrote:
    >> Il Wed, 03 Aug 2005 11:08:35 -0700, Jim Thompson ha scritto:
    >>

    >>>On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:42:05 -0500, Jim Lahue
    >>><_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote:

    [snip]

    >>>Looks like it's the JavaScript that's the culprit.

    >> I don't think so: I have JavaScript enabled, and no popups,
    >>

    >As I indicated in my previous reply, the only ad-related links I could
    >find were external ones for javascript. I DO have js enabled but I have
    >the ad domains blocked in a HOSTS file at the OS level. Hence, I get no
    >popups.

    How do you do a HOSTS file?

    ...Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson, Aug 3, 2005