    this is happening?

    Thanks

    PS. Yes I did post this to the Thunderbird NG also
    Muse Groops, May 23, 2007

  2. Muse Groops

    Mike Easter Guest

    Muse Groops wrote:
    > I have lost 2 posts that I made on usenet recently and I'm wondering
    > how they disappeared. I'm using TB as my newsreader right now. One was
    > posted 2 days ago. If I do a search under TB I can find the post
    > easily, but scrolling down the posted messages I can't find it. The
    > last time this happened, a couple days later it magically
    > re-appeared. Anyone know this is happening?

    The best way to research such curiosities is to access multiple
    newsservers including googlegroups.

    You are posting via a RR news server which is actually a newshosting
    newsserver now that RR contracts its news out. If you had multiple
    newsserver accounts in addition to RR/newshostings, you could check the
    other newsserver accounts and see if the message/s are there. In
    addition to real nntp newsservers, you could also look for the messages
    on googlegroups.

    Messages don't always propagate the way you would like. In addition,
    the relationship between the database of the newsagent such as Tbird or
    OE can get 'outawhack' with the database of the newsserver. In the case
    of OE, the strategy for fixing that is to reset the header download
    condition, so that messages which aren't showing are now showing headers
    and messages which were showing but not there aren't showing headers.
    In Tbird, I think you have to do it by unsubbing the group.

    Neither Tbird nor OE are very 'sophisticated' newsreaders.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 23, 2007

  3. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Muse Groops wrote:
    >> I have lost 2 posts that I made on usenet recently and I'm wondering
    >> how they disappeared. I'm using TB as my newsreader right now. One was
    >> posted 2 days ago. If I do a search under TB I can find the post
    >> easily, but scrolling down the posted messages I can't find it. The
    >> last time this happened, a couple days later it magically
    >> re-appeared. Anyone know this is happening?

    > The best way to research such curiosities is to access multiple
    > newsservers including googlegroups.
    >
    > You are posting via a RR news server which is actually a newshosting
    > newsserver now that RR contracts its news out. If you had multiple
    > newsserver accounts in addition to RR/newshostings, you could check the
    > other newsserver accounts and see if the message/s are there. In
    > addition to real nntp newsservers, you could also look for the messages
    > on googlegroups.
    >
    > Messages don't always propagate the way you would like. In addition,
    > the relationship between the database of the newsagent such as Tbird or
    > OE can get 'outawhack' with the database of the newsserver. In the case
    > of OE, the strategy for fixing that is to reset the header download
    > condition, so that messages which aren't showing are now showing headers
    > and messages which were showing but not there aren't showing headers.
    > In Tbird, I think you have to do it by unsubbing the group.

    <snip>

    That did it, I unsubbed and resubscribed and my post came back.

    I'm guessing that the same thing would have happened if I Was using OE?
    Muse Groops, May 23, 2007