Disappearing RAM

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by archierob, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. archierob

    archierob Guest

    'In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king'.

    Pal calls - can I help him out - comp 'playing up'. Its that bloody virus,
    load stinger and patch - end of that problem.

    One thing has lead to another. I loaded down Spybot, Mike Lin's - Start Up,
    JV16 Powertools and PC Wizard, also a few other free very useful utilities.
    On loading PC Wizard it just crashed his comp and rebooted it.

    His comp, like mine, was built by a local 'Box Builder', this is not
    high-end gear.

    As far as I can ascertain: Asus motherboard, 1700 Athlon XP Processor, 228
    RAM? 60 Gig Hard Drive. Running Windows 2000. I am not aware that the
    motherboard is an integrated one. Mine is so I know where the 'missing' RAM
    has gone - to the video.

    Surely it should read 256 RAM?

    QUESTIONS

    Where has the missing RAM gone?

    Why does PC Wizard crash this comp?

    Many thanks in advance to you knowledgeable people.

    PS - cant add more RAM until guarantee runs out. If you open the box it
    cancels guarantee.
    archierob, Sep 6, 2003

  2. archierob

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:17:47 +0100, "archierob"
    <> wrote:

    >'In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king'.
    >
    >Pal calls - can I help him out - comp 'playing up'. Its that bloody virus,
    >load stinger and patch - end of that problem.
    >
    >One thing has lead to another. I loaded down Spybot, Mike Lin's - Start Up,
    >JV16 Powertools and PC Wizard, also a few other free very useful utilities.
    >On loading PC Wizard it just crashed his comp and rebooted it.
    >
    >His comp, like mine, was built by a local 'Box Builder', this is not
    >high-end gear.
    >
    >As far as I can ascertain: Asus motherboard, 1700 Athlon XP Processor, 228
    >RAM? 60 Gig Hard Drive. Running Windows 2000. I am not aware that the
    >motherboard is an integrated one. Mine is so I know where the 'missing' RAM
    >has gone - to the video.

    What is his does his video card report as being?

    >Surely it should read 256 RAM?

    If it is an intergrated mobo some of the RAM will be allocated to
    graphics, so the amount of RAM reported will only be what is left. If
    you have 256megs and allocate 32megs to graphics card in the BIOS, it
    will report 224.

    GraB, Sep 6, 2003

  3. On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:17:47 +0100, archierob wrote:

    > PS - cant add more RAM until guarantee runs out. If you open the box it
    > cancels guarantee.

    I was under the impression that rort had been ruled illegal under NZ law
    many years ago.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Hi there,

    archierob wrote:

    > As far as I can ascertain: Asus motherboard, 1700 Athlon XP Processor, 228
    > RAM? 60 Gig Hard Drive. Running Windows 2000. I am not aware that the
    > motherboard is an integrated one. Mine is so I know where the 'missing' RAM
    > has gone - to the video.
    >
    > Surely it should read 256 RAM?

    It has 'lost' 28MB, which is an odd number, but that is possible with
    some mobos (which can allocate shared RAM and a separate graphics
    aperture)..check the BIOS in-depth to trace any options that could
    take system RAM allocation...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 7, 2003
  5. archierob

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,

    .....check the BIOS in-depth to trace any options that could
    > take system RAM allocation...

    And check here for the details about your motherboard:

    http://www.asus.com/support/support.aspx
    Patrick Bold, Sep 7, 2003