    "undo" what I did?

    Thanks.

    knip(at)cox(dot)net
    ric, Jul 12, 2004

  2. ric

    Chet Guest

    Same thing happened to me, turned out that System Restore was using it all
    up. I had set up the partitioning as you did but System Restore was trying
    to use its standard portion of the whole drive, not just the C partition.

    You didn't indicate what OS you are using but here's the skinny for ME:

    Go to Control Panel/System/Performance/File System/Hard Disk and see how
    much is allocated for System Restore. Change it there if you need to.

    Chet, Jul 12, 2004

  3. ric

    ric Guest

    As indicated below, I am using Windows 98, which doesn't seem to
    have the "system restore" area. But thanks.

    ric, Jul 12, 2004
  4. ric

    Pen Guest

    Did you empty the recycle bin after deleting the files?
    Also delete all temporary internet files and temp files.

    Pen, Jul 12, 2004
  5. ric

    Thor Guest

    "ric" <> wrote in message news:...
    > OS: Windows 98
    > HD: 5.6G partitioned to 1.99G, 1.99G, 1.6G
    >
    > Problem: Drive C (1.99G) had about 300 MB of unused space. I was in
    > Windows Explorer checking "PROPERTIES" of various files & programs,
    > moving unused stuff to Drive D.
    >
    > All was OK until clicking on "PROPERTIES" then "EXPLORE" on a particularly
    > large (890 MB) folder. The HD light stayed lit, and finally a "Drive C
    > is out of free space" warning appeared. HUH? What happened?
    >
    > Rechecked, and sure enough: Drive C: was down to 25 MB free space. I
    > performed a disk defragmentation and cleanup, and got the free space
    > up to about 50 MB, but....where did the 300 MB disappear to? Can I
    > "undo" what I did?

    either you screwed up and accidentally copied that 890MB folder to another
    folder on C: (look under each folder in C: for a duplicate of the folder you
    were working with), or something happened with the free space reporting, in
    which case running scandisk will fix that.
    Thor, Jul 13, 2004
  6. ric

    ric Guest

    Yes. That was part of the "disk cleanup" I did prior to
    defragmentation. But thanks.

    --
    Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
    ric, Jul 13, 2004
  7. ric

    ric Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > OS: Windows 98
    > > HD: 5.6G partitioned to 1.99G, 1.99G, 1.6G
    > >
    > > Problem: Drive C (1.99G) had about 300 MB of unused space. I was in
    > > Windows Explorer checking "PROPERTIES" of various files & programs,
    > > moving unused stuff to Drive D.
    > >
    > > All was OK until clicking on "PROPERTIES" then "EXPLORE" on a particularly
    > > large (890 MB) folder. The HD light stayed lit, and finally a "Drive C
    > > is out of free space" warning appeared. HUH? What happened?
    > >
    > > Rechecked, and sure enough: Drive C: was down to 25 MB free space. I
    > > performed a disk defragmentation and cleanup, and got the free space
    > > up to about 50 MB, but....where did the 300 MB disappear to? Can I
    > > "undo" what I did?

    > either you screwed up and accidentally copied that 890MB folder to another
    > folder on C: (look under each folder in C: for a duplicate of the folder you
    > were working with), or something happened with the free space reporting, in
    > which case running scandisk will fix that.

    That's what I thought. But searching all folders in Windows Explorer
    turned up zilch.

    I am going to have my data and programs copied to a server, the HD wiped
    and reformatted (this time no 1.99 GB partitions), and my data reinstalled.
    I'm tired of screwing with it.

    Thanks.
    ric, Jul 13, 2004