Disappearing Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by derek / nul, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. derek / nul

    derek / nul Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 06:17:33 GMT, (T.C.) wrote:

    >Help!
    >I was having some software problems and my hard drive was about a year old. So
    >I decided to reformat and reinstall from my recovery disks.
    >My hard drive was a 20GB. Now it's a 2GB.
    >What the hell happened!
    >Is there anyway of getting the 18GB that disappeared BACK?
    >
    >HEWLETT PACKARD - Pavilion 6633C
    >Operating System: Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    >Processor: 500 megahertz Intel Celeron
    >32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    >128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    You formatted it wrong, you probably formatted it with dos6.
    Try with a 98 boot disk.

    derek / nul, Nov 4, 2003

  2. derek / nul

    T.C. Guest

    Help!
    I was having some software problems and my hard drive was about a year old. So
    I decided to reformat and reinstall from my recovery disks.
    My hard drive was a 20GB. Now it's a 2GB.
    What the hell happened!
    Is there anyway of getting the 18GB that disappeared BACK?

    HEWLETT PACKARD - Pavilion 6633C
    Operating System: Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    Processor: 500 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    Thanks for any help you can give
    Ted

    T.C., Nov 4, 2003

  3. derek / nul

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 06:17:33 GMT, (T.C.) wrote:
    >
    > >Help!
    > >I was having some software problems and my hard drive was about a year

    old. So
    > >I decided to reformat and reinstall from my recovery disks.
    > >My hard drive was a 20GB. Now it's a 2GB.
    > >What the hell happened!
    > >Is there anyway of getting the 18GB that disappeared BACK?
    > >
    > >HEWLETT PACKARD - Pavilion 6633C
    > >Operating System: Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    > >Processor: 500 megahertz Intel Celeron
    > >32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    > >128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    > You formatted it wrong, you probably formatted it with dos6.
    > Try with a 98 boot disk.

    Would that really have happend if he used his recovery disks? I assume that
    they would format it so that he would get the full HD space. But, with
    what he wrote, I'd have to agree with you, I'm not sure what else it could
    be.

    Adam Steiner, Nov 4, 2003
  4. derek / nul

    Professor Guest

    You have to run fdisk again and remove all partitions and only make one
    primary DOS partition and activate it then run format again. If that
    doesn't work find the brand of the HDD and get their disk installer from the
    site which will be on a floppy and called something like "disk manager" or a
    number of other things depending on the make and run that disk. Make sure
    you activate large disk format when you try fdisk.

    Professor, Nov 8, 2003