    Any ideas?

    Thanks in anticipation
    , Oct 23, 2003

  2. DeMoN LaG Guest

    "" <rmhill@webnospamail> wrote in news:3f981dcc$0$64719
    @hades.is.co.za:

    > Any ideas?

    Is the hard drive new and tested?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    email/IM for rates/services
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003

  3. philo Guest

    "" <rmhill@webnospamail> wrote in message
    news:3f981dcc$0$...
    > Hi another problem with another PC.
    >
    > I reinstalled Win98 on my daughters AMD K6-400 pc. It running on a REDFOX
    > AGP-ALI motherboard. I put in a new harddrive Hitachi Deskstar 30G. I had
    > major problems reinstalling but eventually got the system stable. This
    > morning a booted up and was busy formatting 1.44M stiffies when the screen
    > went blank and the PC hard locked. I rebooted and windows reported a

    number
    > of files missing during the boot. The PC booted OK except for the files. I
    > ran SFC and restored a number of files that it reported as deleted.
    > Everything was fine for a while for an hour then I did a reboot (I wanted

    > remove a removable harddrive). The PC wouldn't boot because Win.com was
    > missing. I booted with Win98 CD and looked under the windows directory for
    > Win.com, but it was missing.
    >
    > What's up. I don't think it was a virus as the installation was new
    > (previous day) and the PC does not connect to the internet. I rescanned

    the
    > stiffies on my WinXP machine which has AVG on and it reported no virus on
    > the removable disk of stiffies. The removable disk is not the boot disk.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation

    i;d do a RAM check (or substitute)

    if the RAM is ok...do a harddrive dignostic test
    (software should be avail from the mfg)
    philo, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I reinstalled Win98 on my daughters AMD K6-400 pc. It running on a REDFOX
    > AGP-ALI motherboard. I put in a new harddrive Hitachi Deskstar 30G. I had
    > major problems reinstalling but eventually got the system stable. This

    Offhand just reading what you wrote it somehow seems that the HDD wasn't
    setup correctly.
    Plato, Oct 24, 2003
  5. >From: "" rmhill@webnospamail
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:29:06 +0200

    >Hi another problem with another PC.
    >
    >I reinstalled Win98 on my daughters AMD K6-400 pc. It running on a REDFOX
    >AGP-ALI motherboard. I put in a new harddrive Hitachi Deskstar 30G. I had
    >major problems reinstalling but eventually got the system stable. This
    >morning a booted up and was busy formatting 1.44M stiffies when the screen
    >went blank and the PC hard locked. I rebooted and windows reported a number
    >of files missing during the boot. The PC booted OK except for the files. I
    >ran SFC and restored a number of files that it reported as deleted.
    >Everything was fine for a while for an hour then I did a reboot (I wanted to
    >remove a removable harddrive). The PC wouldn't boot because Win.com was
    >missing. I booted with Win98 CD and looked under the windows directory for
    >Win.com, but it was missing.
    >
    >What's up. I don't think it was a virus as the installation was new
    >(previous day) and the PC does not connect to the internet. I rescanned the
    >stiffies on my WinXP machine which has AVG on and it reported no virus on
    >the removable disk of stiffies. The removable disk is not the boot disk.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation

    You said the HDD is in a rack.
    Make sure the connection inside the rack is tight.
    Make sure the rack is seated tight.
    Make sure the lock is locked.

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 24, 2003
  6. DeMoN LaG Guest

    pAmNot ( caveat lector - reader beware) wrote in

    > You said the HDD is in a rack.
    > Make sure the connection inside the rack is tight.
    > Make sure the rack is seated tight.
    > Make sure the lock is locked.

    I don't see where he/she said their boot drive was in a rack...

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Guest

    Replies to all Plato Demon and Philo: Disappearing files

    Let me elaborate further.

    the drive is 2 months old but was working well up to this point.The drive
    was first connected to a Win2000 machine and partitioned and formatted. Data
    was transferred to it. Everything was fine. Partitioned as FAT32 not NTFS.
    Slipped drive into Win98 machine and win98 would not recognise it although
    the BIOS would.Repartitioned and formatted using Win98 and drive was then
    recognised. I think the original Win2000 machine may have had software on it
    to get it to recognise the larger drives.(I forget the name of this type of
    software) It was quite an old MB.

    PC worked fine for 3 days. I ran the Hitachi Deskstar diagnostic software
    and drive passed all tests. Checked memory with Gold memory tester and all
    128M tested fine for 1 complete sweep. Ran AVG anti virus this morning and
    it did not detect anything. Virus signature were latest available.

    However the machine behave well today. Even after 2 reboots.
    I think I may know what caused the failures. I have a second drive connected
    in a removable drive bay. If I can remember correctly both times I had
    problems I had switched off the power to the removable drive while shutting
    down PC. This not being the boot drive I did not expect it to have done this
    because all problems experienced have been on the boot drive. I would have
    thought data on the removable would have possibly been corrupted.

    I will monitor the PC over the next few days. If I have any further problems
    I will report back.

    Thanks for your responses.

    R.M.Hill
    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "" <rmhill@webnospamail> wrote in news:3f981dcc$0$64719
    > @hades.is.co.za:
    >
    > > Any ideas?

    > Is the hard drive new and tested?
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services
    , Oct 24, 2003
  8. Julie Guest

    Re: Replies to all Plato Demon and Philo: Disappearing files

    > Let me elaborate further.
    >
    > the drive is 2 months old but was working well up to this point.The drive
    > was first connected to a Win2000 machine and partitioned and formatted.

    Data
    > was transferred to it. Everything was fine. Partitioned as FAT32 not NTFS.
    > Slipped drive into Win98 machine and win98 would not recognise it although
    > the BIOS would.Repartitioned and formatted using Win98 and drive was then
    > recognised. I think the original Win2000 machine may have had software on

    it
    > to get it to recognise the larger drives.(I forget the name of this type

    of
    > software) It was quite an old MB.
    >
    > PC worked fine for 3 days. I ran the Hitachi Deskstar diagnostic software
    > and drive passed all tests. Checked memory with Gold memory tester and all
    > 128M tested fine for 1 complete sweep. Ran AVG anti virus this morning and
    > it did not detect anything. Virus signature were latest available.
    >
    > However the machine behave well today. Even after 2 reboots.
    > I think I may know what caused the failures. I have a second drive

    connected
    > in a removable drive bay. If I can remember correctly both times I had
    > problems I had switched off the power to the removable drive while

    shutting
    > down PC. This not being the boot drive I did not expect it to have done

    this
    > because all problems experienced have been on the boot drive. I would have
    > thought data on the removable would have possibly been corrupted.
    >
    > I will monitor the PC over the next few days. If I have any further

    problems
    > I will report back.
    >
    > Thanks for your responses.

    As you're switching a 2nd drive in & out of the system, do you have them
    both jumpered as "Cable Select"? I have observed all sorts of strange
    behaviour with other jumper configurations when switching drives off.
    Grump.
    Julie, Oct 26, 2003
  9. Guest

    Re: Replies to all Plato Demon and Philo: Disappearing files

    Only the removable is set to cable select.

    "Julie" <> wrote in message

    > "" <rmhill@webnospamail> wrote in message
    > > Let me elaborate further.
    > >
    > > the drive is 2 months old but was working well up to this point.The

    drive
    > > was first connected to a Win2000 machine and partitioned and formatted.

    > Data
    > > was transferred to it. Everything was fine. Partitioned as FAT32 not

    NTFS.
    > > Slipped drive into Win98 machine and win98 would not recognise it

    although
    > > the BIOS would.Repartitioned and formatted using Win98 and drive was

    then
    > > recognised. I think the original Win2000 machine may have had software

    on
    > it
    > > to get it to recognise the larger drives.(I forget the name of this type

    > of
    > > software) It was quite an old MB.
    > >
    > > PC worked fine for 3 days. I ran the Hitachi Deskstar diagnostic

    software
    > > and drive passed all tests. Checked memory with Gold memory tester and

    all
    > > 128M tested fine for 1 complete sweep. Ran AVG anti virus this morning

    and
    > > it did not detect anything. Virus signature were latest available.
    > >
    > > However the machine behave well today. Even after 2 reboots.
    > > I think I may know what caused the failures. I have a second drive

    > connected
    > > in a removable drive bay. If I can remember correctly both times I had
    > > problems I had switched off the power to the removable drive while

    > shutting
    > > down PC. This not being the boot drive I did not expect it to have done

    > this
    > > because all problems experienced have been on the boot drive. I would

    have
    > > thought data on the removable would have possibly been corrupted.
    > >
    > > I will monitor the PC over the next few days. If I have any further

    > problems
    > > I will report back.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your responses.

    > As you're switching a 2nd drive in & out of the system, do you have them
    > both jumpered as "Cable Select"? I have observed all sorts of strange
    > behaviour with other jumper configurations when switching drives off.
    > Grump.

    , Oct 26, 2003