    and the funny thing it does to the mouse cursor. Microsoft have turned
    my computer into a Nanny system with this sp2 version of XP.

    John

    John, Aug 21, 2005

  2. John

    SenorMoofer Guest

    go with linux completly eliminates taht problem all together :)

    SenorMoofer, Aug 21, 2005

  3. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in news:ahmhg11g32ne394u6ibttrea8rcgbdo0vk@
    4ax.com:

    > How do you completely disable the pop-up blocker bar completely in
    > explorer? Did I mention the word completely? :) I have gone in Tools,
    > Pop-Up Blocker and disabled it there, but the bar keeps coming up on a
    > number of sites. I am quite happy using PopUp Killer and having this
    > running from the system tray. I don't like the bar thing in Explorer
    > and the funny thing it does to the mouse cursor. Microsoft have turned
    > my computer into a Nanny system with this sp2 version of XP.
    >
    > John

    I disabled it on IE and had no problems with going to a number of sites and
    having pop-ups show. I myself use Firefox (free) that is much like IE as
    the default browser. It has pop-up blocking too and is more secure than IE
    in the home environment. I only use IE when a site requires that IE be
    used.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 21, 2005
  4. John

    Fakename Guest

    That's right, then you won't have anymore IE problems. You'll have a
    whole host of new problems you're even less prepared to deal with.

    And while you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater why not just
    get off the Internet entirely?

    Fakename, Aug 22, 2005
  5. John

    John Guest

    >I disabled it on IE and had no problems with going to a number of sites and
    >having pop-ups show. I myself use Firefox (free) that is much like IE as
    >the default browser. It has pop-up blocking too and is more secure than IE
    >in the home environment. I only use IE when a site requires that IE be
    >used.
    >
    >Duane :)

    I actually started using Firefox on an old 98se system, were I was
    having lots of trouble with spyware from using Explorer.

    On the two newer systems though running XP, I have both browsers on
    them, but I prefer using Explorer. All my favourites are in explorer.
    I wouldn't have a problem with using Firefox if adding a favourite
    added it to the Favourites of both browsers, but unfortunately it
    doesn't. If all the favourites could be stored in just one place I'd
    happily use either browser.

    Were there not a few vulnerabilities recently in Firefox though? I
    seem to recall they needed to issue a big security update?

    The only issue I have had with Firefox apart from not being able to
    synchronise my favourites in one place, is that some sites the pages
    come up funny. Mainly on secure sites. It looks a bit funny.

    In Explorer I have disabled it in Tools and Pop Up Blocker, but I
    still get the bar thing coming up for some sites. Pain in the ass it
    is.

    I think Microsoft continue to make things more nanified. I want to
    choose my own security and pop up blockers I don't want *everything*
    as standard from MS, and doing things I don't want it to.

    As for Linux, is this not the OS for Nerds? I would rather be a
    compatible conformist with Windows, and keep Bill Gates sitting on his
    billions.

    John

    John, Aug 22, 2005
  6. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > Were there not a few vulnerabilities recently in Firefox though? I
    > seem to recall they needed to issue a big security update?

    There are always going to be some exploit in software such a browser or
    other such Internet applications. After all, they are written by fallible
    Human Beings but as long as they are being patched is what counts.

    > The only issue I have had with Firefox apart from not being able to
    > synchronise my favourites in one place, is that some sites the pages
    > come up funny. Mainly on secure sites. It looks a bit funny.

    That is why I use IE on those kind of sites.

    > I think Microsoft continue to make things more nanified. I want to
    > choose my own security and pop up blockers I don't want *everything*
    > as standard from MS, and doing things I don't want it to.

    MS has to deal with the exploits of its product.

    > As for Linux, is this not the OS for Nerds? I would rather be a
    > compatible conformist with Windows, and keep Bill Gates sitting on his
    > billions.

    Linux is being pushed to the home consumer by companies such a Novell with
    SuSu Linux and others. The more competition the better it is to keep the
    price down for the consumer.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 22, 2005