    Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without bothering
    with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
    Thanks
    Geoff, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Geoff

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    I would leave the Firewall On.
    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Apr 4, 2005

  3. Geoff

    bearman Guest

    "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > I have a 3Com ADSL modem wireless router with a built in firewall, I'm
    > having problems in that since I upgraded the firmware I keep getting

    kicked
    > off my internet connection. 3Com support have suggested disabling my
    > 'software firewall' and trying that. I assume they mean XP's firewall.
    > Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without

    bothering
    > with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
    > Thanks

    Check your firewall's network settings. Maybe they're too stringent.
    --
    Bearman
    If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.
    bearman, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Geoff

    Luap Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > I have a 3Com ADSL modem wireless router with a built in firewall, I'm
    > having problems in that since I upgraded the firmware I keep getting kicked
    > off my internet connection. 3Com support have suggested disabling my
    > 'software firewall' and trying that. I assume they mean XP's firewall.
    > Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without bothering
    > with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
    > Thanks

    Aside from the fact that we are virtually forced to use Windows, I
    wouldn't trust Micro$oft products one bit. Junk the Firewall and
    download Zonealarm (Zonelabs.com). Also think about getting Mozilla's
    excellent Firefox and Thunderbird (Mozilla.org).
    Lua
    Luap, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Firefox isn't the end-all to internet browsing, it has security flaws just
    like IE. firefox just hasn't been out long enough for the codemonkeys to
    compromise it.
    http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,100060,00.html

    Brian McMullen, Apr 5, 2005